Who has adjusted their chain?

I adjusted mine last night for the first time at 4,400 miles. It's been at the loose end of the spec without much change for the last 2,000 miles.

The adjusters only took about 1/4 turn on each side to get it back to the middle of the spec. (about 1.2 inches).
 
Question, just got the bike out of storage and after the shake down checks I took it around the block a few times. If the chain is loose would it sound like it is hitting the plastic chain guard or rubbing against it?

Plus I need to find out what oil the stealership used when they serviced it last fall as there is a tick on the motor I don't remember but that is not for this thread...

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
dBuster' pid='32355' dateline='1396133314 said:
Question, just got the bike out of storage and after the shake down checks I took it around the block a few times. If the chain is loose would it sound like it is hitting the plastic chain guard or rubbing against it?

Plus I need to find out what oil the stealership used when they serviced it last fall as there is a tick on the motor I don't remember but that is not for this thread...

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
[/quote

I took someone for a ride on mine last year and felt a slight tap through the footpegs after. Looking at the tiny plastic guard mounted on the swingarm I found it did have grooves on it from contact with the chain. I believe that's what I was feeling. Extra weight of the pillion must have slackened the chain that extra bit out of adjustment.

As far as the oil - looks like 10w30 is the way to go on our bikes.
 
I haven't had to adjust mine yet but am reading this to find out info on when folks are adjusting theirs. I'm going to go check mine tomorrow to see what the measurement is. I got kind of spoiled because all of my bikes for the last 5 years were either shaft or belt. I didn't have to adjust anything so I'm getting my brain back to thinking about the chains again.

Thanks to everyone for the info. :thumbsup:
 
Rboe_imp said:
That begs the question; how often do you apply lube to the chain? I'd wander into the "favorite chain lube" area but that might be too much. :)
I have a dr650 with almost 9000 miles has o ring chain never been lubed .never ridden off road .chain never been adjusted, in excellent condition .I sometimes believe lubing chain may attract grit and be detrimental to chain
 
I have 3000 miles on my bike. I've adjusted the chain a couple of times. I keep it right at 1-1/8" and any time its been 1/16" off that, I've adjusted it. I'm probably being anal about it but I think it sounds and shifts better right at 1-1/8".


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Im just over 3000 miles. I cleaned (WD 40) and checked my chain today. Still in spec from the factory. I have never adjusted or oiled it. Today after cleaning I sprayed chain lube on a rag and wiped it on the outside of the chain as an experiment.
 
I have never been that impressed with the transmission on this bike. Changing down through the gearbox has always been notchy and in my opinion rough affair. Over the years I have learnt the importance of lubing and adjusting the chain on my bikes. I also understand how overtightening stresses the output shaft bearing and sprockets. SO, you can imagine I have religiously adjusted the chain on the CB to the 30mm shown on the swing arm - until now. After reading this thread I nipped out last night and adjusted the chain to 25mm. Today I did a 100 mile round trip. I cannot believe the difference. The transmission had been transformed. Thanks ever so much to all who contributed to this thread :D
 
Picked up my 2014 CB1100 Deluxe last week and did a chain check... there was zero slack in the chain from the factory. Not a good thing. Fixed now.
TINK
 
Tink,

It seems to wear pretty fast before the 600 mile check, but stays pretty good after that. In other words, keep a keen eye on it at first and a regular eye on it after ;)
 
Thread starter
I'm now at 5,000 miles and it still has not required adjustment. Mine is at 1 1/8" pin to pin.
 
Had to make a slight adjustment at 400 miles. Picked up a can of paraffin based chain lubricant recommended by the shop supervisor at my local dealer. He advised that this would not sling off the chain onto your wheels. Sounded like a novel idea so I picked up a can.
.
 
NO 1100 but just put a new chain and sprockets on my 750 on the loose side of specs. Seems ok for now. Seems these things hold up well new and go down hill fast from what I have read. Who knows. Cleaning this one with WD40 and a brush right or wrong.
 
I adjusted my chain yesterday. The transmission has felt very clunky, but when I've checked the chain it was still within spec. Yesterday I adjusted it to the lower end of the specification and the gearbox feels heaps better, particularly changing down. I recall it was like that last time I adjusted it. The chain's done 20,800 kms and has barely worn.
 
A friends chain maintenance regimen is to clean the chain with WD40, then apply automatic transmission fluid to it via a tooth brush.
I like it, 'cause you can keep the o-rings clean and then lightly coat them so they don't dry out and crack.
My one modification to his method is that I use synthetic oil instead of ATF as I like the way it sticks to the chain better.
Either way, if not overdone, doesn't seem to sling much at all.
 
No one ever talks about when you adjust the chain should it be cold or after you have driven the bike ? very ,very important to know this
 
Back
Top