Who do you ride with?

Jheck10_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Any suggestions on finding local riding companions?

I've always enjoyed all day and multi day trips with a small group of friends. But now, a few of my old faithful riding partners have moved, gotten busy, or are not riding anymore, for a variety of reasons.

I'm entering into semi retirement and would like to do some exploring on two wheels.
 
I prefer to ride alone or with one or two buddies. Lately is seems a few us will simply meet for coffee on Sunday morning; we all arrive separately and take different roads home.

My wife prefers I ride with at least one other rider. This is a two edged sword. If I was riding alone I would never had tried to stop to find out what the issue was with my co-rider, crashed and broke my collar bone. On the other hand, I had friends there to help me out. So if you are going to crash, have friends close by! :)

One of these buddies is not all that reliable when it comes to meeting up for a ride so my attitude is to ride, if he shows up so much the better.

The Spot is a nice device, if you tend to travel alone (a buddy rides dirt a lot and has one). Your wife can track you on the computer if you have breadcrumbs activated and you can use it to call for help (satellite based, not cell phone based) if needed. Newer versions will interface with your smart phone so you can text.
 
I joined a local riding club through Meetup.com. Actually I tried a couple groups before I found one that was focused on riding vs. drinking, eating, or posing. Or all three. We do Sunday rides, usually about 400 miles on back roads. Every now and then we do an overnight ride.

All types of bikes, all ages (but mostly older), mostly dudes but a few females. Next weekend we're having a dinner party.

We are sponsored by the local mega dealer. They give us a discount on everything. They also let us have monthly ride planning meetings in their facility.

I've never been a club joiner, but this turned out great.
 
Thread starter
Thanks Spaceman, sounds like its working well. I'll give meetup.com a try

:s
The Spaceman_imp said:
I joined a local riding club through Meetup.com. Actually I tried a couple groups before I found one that was focused on riding vs. drinking, eating, or posing. Or all three. We do Sunday rides, usually about 400 miles on back roads. Every now and then we do an overnight ride.

All types of bikes, all ages (but mostly older), mostly dudes but a few females. Next weekend we're having a dinner party.

We are sponsored by the local mega dealer. They give us a discount on everything. They also let us have monthly ride planning meetings in their facility.

I've never been a club joiner, but this turned out great.
 
I've done a few local SF Bay Area Meetup rides which were really fun but it's more of a social thing to meet new riders and check out new bikes once in a while ..

What I really miss is my riding buddy back in Cicinnati, Ohio who had the same riding philosophy ..

And a buddy in the SF Bay Area who passed away due to non-motorcycling reasons 2 years ago .. He had two CB 750 nighthawks, one at 90k and swore by the maintenance free Hondas .. If here were here he would be in love with the CB1100 and I'm making sure I enjoy the rides on the CB for him .. RIP JMA, I got you covered !!!




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Most of my rides are with a small group of friends and my wife, but meetup.com introduced me to a few groups..one is a sportbike group. One is a cruiser group. One is a sport touring group. I tend to join the particular event that suits me at the time. The sportbike group has its share of racers and squids, but I've met more than a few who choose to do their showing off at the track and they are very fun to ride with on the street. I would definitely look at a few groups in your area and I'm sure you'll meet more than a couple of people with whom you'd enjoy riding with.
 
IndianRider_imp said:
I've done a few local SF Bay Area Meetup rides which were really fun but it's more of a social thing to meet new riders and check out new bikes once in a while ..

What I really miss is my riding buddy back in Cicinnati, Ohio who had the same riding philosophy ..

And a buddy in the SF Bay Area who passed away due to non-motorcycling reasons 2 years ago .. He had two CB 750 nighthawks, one at 90k and swore by the maintenance free Hondas .. If here were here he would be in love with the CB1100 and I'm making sure I enjoy the rides on the CB for him .. RIP JMA, I got you covered !!!




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went on one of the Meetup groups last weekend, no other CB11 riders that time but there was a guy with an old SOHC 750 which I thought was pretty sweet.

My first impression is that they are a really friendly group of people who are fairly tolerant of slowpokes like myself, and there are lots of cool bikes to gawk at before hitting the road.

If you join in on one of the Mellow Group Rides (usually but not always out of south bay), you might stand a pretty good chance of running into two of us!
 
I ride on my own, with my son and with friends from work. There are about 10 regular riders at work, so you can always find someone to ride with.

Every time I get on the CB1100, I don't really care if anyone is with me or not. You should see the smile under the helmet :D
 
My wife and youngest daughter ride, my eldest daughter rides pillion with me occasionally, I have a number of friends whom I ride with to bike meets, but I prefer to meet them at the destination if I can that way I don't get goaded into riding above my ability.

As per Doc, I've always a big smile under the helmet :)
 
Hey Chip, good to see you post again.

I retired last May so that I could ride more. Unfortunately most of the people I ride with, which admittedly are few, are still working. Luckily though, my younger brother is retired as well so we ride together at least once a week, sometimes two.

I do have one riding buddy that retired last year as well, but he is not an everyday type of riding buddy because he lives 150 miles away, but we got together for a trip last fall and have a doosey of a trip planned for this summer.

For most daily riding, it's just me. I'm ok with that. It beats working.
 
Most riding was alone or occasionally with my son. Last year I joined the American Legion Riders and we have regular rides and get together that have expanded my list of companions as well as some really great community involvement. .
 
I usually ride with a couple of friends i have known for over 20 years. We have been riding together for over 9 years now. We all tried riding in large organized group rides when we were part of the Yamaha Star riding club and we decided it wasnt for us. There is something to be said about a nice long ride by yourself. When we cant get together on occasion i will take a solo ride. You get to run at your own comfortable pace, there is less adjustments in speed and road positions you need to make, your not worrying about your buddies safety around you. Very relaxing. like Chip said its nice to get away at times.
 
I have about six neighbors that I ride with off an on........Whenever one of us gets a new bike, we get together with plenty of food and beverages and have what we call a ooh ahh party......
 
Headbanger02_imp said:
I have about six neighbors that I ride with off an on........Whenever one of us gets a new bike, we get together with plenty of food and beverages and have what we call a ooh ahh party......
Great idea :thumbsup:
 
This is a good question. I generally ride alone; partly because I like to go along at my own pace. It's also because I don't have any real riding buddies where I now live as I moved away from where I lived for a long time.

But I also like to go on organised rides occasionally—don't much care who organises them. I like the feeling of riding out with lots of other bikes and the reaction it provokes from people. It's also a great opportunity to see some other bikes, although I'm curious about why the sort of person who joins almost any sort of motorcycle club likes to ride a Harley.

There's some pictures of one, here.
 
I am another that tends to ride singly, not really a club type person anymore but am considering joining the local Ulysses Club to see if it works for me. Because of my job I have every other week at home to do as I please so having an understanding wife means I can disappear for the day if I want. The only rule that is laid down is that I keep in touch if I am away all day, which is fair enough. Have a few guys at work who ride but we all live in dfferent parts of NZ so a regular ride is not always possible. Brother has a few machines and lives somewhere in NSW Australia and has suggested a coming over for a week or two and having a fun exploration time; we used to spend a lot of time together when we were younger on bikes.
 
Back
Top