Who are you guys using for shipping?

phase

New to the forum
Thread starter
Greetings and salutations.  I just joined this forum.  I see it's the "new" one, but some ppl are still using the old one.

I'm still a member of the Honda Shadow forums at https://cb1100forum.net/forum, but haven't actually logged in over there in years, lol.  I wonder if my account still works and if Swarmkeeper is still in charge over there.  I may have to pay those guys a virtual visit this weekend.

In the meantime, I have had my eye on the newer CB1100s for a while, and am strongly considering adding one to my stable.  But, I haven't been able to find the one I want locally in the last few years.  I made an offer on one in 2019, but got beat out ... I want to kick myself every time I think about that.  The bike sold to a buyer in another city who bought it sight unseen, and had it shipped to him.  I was shocked somebody would do that at the time.  But 6 years later, still without the CB1100 I want, I'm considering doing the same thing myself.

Who are you guys using for shipping a bike like that?  A google search turns up plenty of results, but it would be awesome to hear from a CB1100 buyer who had a good experience and has a shipper they strongly recommend.

I tried searching the forums, but didn't have much luck.  I'm sure I'll get better at searching if I end up finding a CB1100 for myself, and start using the forums more often...

TIA!

phase
 
phase said:
Greetings and salutations.  I just joined this forum.  I see it's the "new" one, but some ppl are still using the old one.

I'm still a member of the Honda Shadow forums at https://cb1100forum.net/forum, but haven't actually logged in over there in years, lol.  I wonder if my account still works and if Swarmkeeper is still in charge over there.  I may have to pay those guys a virtual visit this weekend.

In the meantime, I have had my eye on the newer CB1100s for a while, and am strongly considering adding one to my stable.  But, I haven't been able to find the one I want locally in the last few years.  I made an offer on one in 2019, but got beat out ... I want to kick myself every time I think about that.  The bike sold to a buyer in another city who bought it sight unseen, and had it shipped to him.  I was shocked somebody would do that at the time.  But 6 years later, still without the CB1100 I want, I'm considering doing the same thing myself.

Who are you guys using for shipping a bike like that?  A google search turns up plenty of results, but it would be awesome to hear from a CB1100 buyer who had a good experience and has a shipper they strongly recommend.

I tried searching the forums, but didn't have much luck.  I'm sure I'll get better at searching if I end up finding a CB1100 for myself, and start using the forums more often...

TIA!

phase

Welcome, phase.  Kansas City?  I grew up in Topeka and lived in the KC area for a year.  Instead of shipping, might you consider a fly and ride home?  it's getting late into the year, but could be an alternative to shipping.
 
Howdy and welcome to the forum

I just drove from Ohio to Wisc to pick up another bike. I'm not buying a bike without looking at it and riding it, meeting the owner and seeing the inside of his garage
 
I agree with what Ferret says. I would recommend paying more for a local bike, as bike shipping is really expensive now. 

I have had shipped several bikes through Federal Motorcycle Transport, and would highly recommend them.  Many years ago, they had their own fleet of trucks, but are now a shipping broker.  Even so, the service has remained great - strapped to a pallet inside enclosed moving vans or car carriers. The last 2 times were 2 & 3 years ago, from the upper Midwest to So Cal, both times around $1100-1200, about the going rate.

I've had bad luck with U-Ship, which is cheaper because you are dealing directly with the driver.  In my one time using them, for a car, they were were weeks late,  hard to get hold of,  actually towed it behind their truck rather than on board, stored stuff inside, and damaged the suspension.  And good luck suing them or even tracking them down.  You get what you pay for.
 
Thread starter
pdedse said:
Welcome, phase.  Kansas City?  ...  Instead of shipping, might you consider a fly and ride home?

Yes indeed.  The bike was in Smithville, a short ride away.  Thanks for making me want to kick myself again, haha.

I have definitely considered flying and riding, but the bike I was looking at is pretty far away. It would be a really long ride this time of year.  Don't get me wrong I'll ride my Shadow around town any 45-50F day all winter, but I can remember once taking only a *longer* (2.5 hours, so not truly long) ride this time of year, and cold I felt towards the end of that ride and for a long time after ... I wouldn't wish that on anybody.
 
Thread starter
Hey guys!  Long time no post (over 10 months).  But guess what?  A few weeks ago, I finally found my CB!  I followed Ferret's advice and waited until I found one close enough to meet the owner, see the inside of his garage, and ride the bike.  Lucky for me, it was only a $50 one-way Amtrak ride away -- in the St. Louis metro area.  It's a 2013 with Puig screen, luggage rack, engine guards, and chrome gauge covers!  No RLETs though, lol.  Bike was extremely clean and had < 13k miles when I bought it; has 13,507 now and is a little less so, haha.  I couldn't be happier with it!  So smooth and powerful compared to my old Shadow (2007 VT1100C).  Photo below was taken by seller.  I've been too busy riding to get a better shot, but will try to do so soon.  Should be a lovely autumn! Cheers and ttyl.  -phase

[attachment=1841]
 

Attachments

  • 01.webp
    01.webp
    317.7 KB · Views: 47
Congratulations on your purchase, phase.
 
Congrats phase. Pretty bike.
 
phase said:
Hey guys!  Long time no post (over 10 months).  But guess what?  A few weeks ago, I finally found my CB!  I followed Ferret's advice and waited until I found one close enough to meet the owner, see the inside of his garage, and ride the bike.  Lucky for me, it was only a $50 one-way Amtrak ride away -- in the St. Louis metro area.  It's a 2013 with Puig screen, luggage rack, engine guards, and chrome gauge covers!  No RLETs though, lol.  Bike was extremely clean and had < 13k miles when I bought it; has 13,507 now and is a little less so, haha.  I couldn't be ;) happier with it!  So smooth and powerful compared to my old Shadow (2007 VT1100C).  Photo below was taken by seller.  I've been too busy riding to get a better shot, but will try to do so soon.  Should be a lovely autumn! Cheers and ttyl.  -phase

Beautiful bike!  Can’t wait to see it at the 2027 Rally!  ;)
 
Very nice! David
 
Back
Top