White specks in engine oil

Roper_imp

Been there
Thread starter
When I check the oil window before I ride, I notice white specks. After I ride, and I let the bike cool for about 30 minutes, the oil looks like its regular honey color. The next morning, the white specks are back.

In a brief internet search, I found two possibilities: It could be condensation from the cold-hot-cold cycle (not sure I buy that), or it could be leftover assembly lubricant and will be flushed out with the next oil change (not sure I buy that, either, because the dealer already did their first complimentary oil change at 600 miles.)

Anyone else have ideas?
 
If it was water (condensation) it would foam up when mixed with oil while the engine was running.

It the specks bother you, change the oil and filter. Have a good look at the old filter and oil drain pan to see if there is anything white in it.
 
I did a google search too and found the same thing Roper did. So I'm going with the leaky blinker fluid. :)

Hopefully some oil guys will chime it. And right after they do, we'll have an oil thread!!!
 
Roper_imp said:
When I check the oil window before I ride, I notice white specks. After I ride, and I let the bike cool for about 30 minutes, the oil looks like its regular honey color. The next morning, the white specks are back.

In a brief internet search, I found two possibilities: It could be condensation from the cold-hot-cold cycle (not sure I buy that), or it could be leftover assembly lubricant and will be flushed out with the next oil change (not sure I buy that, either, because the dealer already did their first complimentary oil change at 600 miles.)

Anyone else have ideas?
If I remember right, the oil capacity of the engine is closer to 6 quarts, so it is likely that a contaminant would still be present following a change.
 
Yes. Quite a bit of old oil remains in any engine after an oil change. Do your own oil changes. That eliminates the possibility that the dealer didn't really do it.
 
Did they use honda oil or the right viscosity??? Kidding, I don't use honda oil and I use 10w 40 instead of 30. I wouldn't worry too much, just ride the snot out of it and change the oil yourself.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
Weird! The only white stuff I've ever seen in oil is in bikes that don't get ridden much (or at all). Condensation in the crankcase can form a white gooey substance to form when water mixes with oil and sits for awhile.

Usually you see this on the dipstick, or as white streaks when the old oil is drained. I've never seen it in an oil window. If the bike is ridden regularly, I doubt this is what your seeing. Very strange!
 
About 40 years ago I mixed synthetic 2-cycle oil (Klotz brand) with a non-synthetic oil in my Suzuki TM125 oil-injected 2-stroke. The oils didn't mix, and they formed a gummy-like substance that clogged my oil injection line leading to the oil pump. Luckily I noticed my bike stopped smoking like it normally did and I caught it before any damage occurred. Synthetics are supposed to mix with non-synthetics today, but you never know. I would warm the engine up and do a complete oil and filter change. You can inspect what comes out of your engine and see if you find anything unusual.
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I did a google search too and found the same thing Roper did. So I'm going with the leaky blinker fluid. :)

Hopefully some oil guys will chime it. And right after they do, we'll have an oil thread!!!
Leaky blinker fluid? That's as likely as loose muffler bearings.
 
Thread starter
I commute by riding usually three or four days a week. It's about a 20 minute ride each way. I go for a two- to three-hour ride most Saturdays. I live in Texas, so the weather could be 80 degrees (like today) or 30 degrees if a front moves in. I'm inclined to think the weather wouldn't affect the oil, though. At any rate, I'll change the oil and see what I can find.
 
Roper_imp said:
I commute by riding usually three or four days a week. It's about a 20 minute ride each way. I go for a two- to three-hour ride most Saturdays. I live in Texas, so the weather could be 80 degrees (like today) or 30 degrees if a front moves in. I'm inclined to think the weather wouldn't affect the oil, though. At any rate, I'll change the oil and see what I can find.
With that kinda heat and use, I'd doubt it's a "regular" condensation issue. However if you have head gasket issues it could still be happening, I'd check it to be sure

weather change from warm, moist weather to cold weather or repeated frost (condensation) on the vehicle and frequent high dew points can create moisture to form in the crankcase. This can appear as condensation in the oil system and under the valve covers. Most of the time vehicles are driven long and far enough so that this condensation is burned off thanks to the heat of the engine. However a vehicle that is not driven very far and does not reach full running temperature for very long may not purge out the moisture. Vehicles that are not driven frequently and sit outside can also acquire moisture in the oil system. When these vehicles are driven, the engine generates some heat during the short drive, then cools. The trapped moisture condensates on the coolest part of the engine, the valve cover and oil cap. Repeated short trips will leave behind more and more moisture on these cooler parts. You then open the cap and discover this milky white buildup
 
Thread starter
Sounds like I need to go for a good long ride--at least a tankful of fuel--this weekend and see if it's condensation which will burn off. Weather's supposed to be low 80's and sunny Saturday. Might need to burn through two tanks of fuel, just to be sure, you know;)
 
Roper_imp said:
When I check the oil window before I ride, I notice white specks. After I ride, and I let the bike cool for about 30 minutes, the oil looks like its regular honey color. The next morning, the white specks are back.

In a brief internet search, I found two possibilities: It could be condensation from the cold-hot-cold cycle (not sure I buy that), or it could be leftover assembly lubricant and will be flushed out with the next oil change (not sure I buy that, either, because the dealer already did their first complimentary oil change at 600 miles.)

Anyone else have ideas?
A picture would help. Condensation would make the oil look milky, I think there are engine flush liquids available at auto parts stores. Otherwise I would just drain the oil and put 4 qts of 10w40 automotive oil, run it for 100 miles, then use 10w30 Amsoil metric synthetic.
P
 
I'd love to see a picture of the white specks. Never heard of or seen such a thing.
I've pulled bikes out of barns and sheds that have been sitting for 30 years and never saw white specks in any oil...
Not saying you're imagining things, it just sounds really odd.
Like my buddies say; Pics or it didn't happen!
 
I was thinking the same, that any impurities would mix with the hot oil and become somewhat milky rather than retain it's solid speck. I'm thinking maybe some paper bits might have come loose from the oil filter?
 
Back
Top