'Whine' sound/problem

ride4now_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
So I took the CB out today and when I came off the road to get gas, I noticed a very distinct 'whine' coming from the drivetrain. You can clearly hear the whine towards the end of this video. It doesn't seem to be coming from the engine because blipping the throttle does nothing. It's coming from the drivetrain and is noticed in the attached as I'm slowing down in a parking lot with no throttle. The bike has 3300 miles on it and, yes, I checked the oil this am and it was fine. Suggestions as to what it is? It ruined my ride today and I guess i'll take it to the dealer in a week or so. Bummer!!!! I was looking forward to today all week!




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Hmmm that's interesting. Never heard that sound before on my bike. Not sure what that could be R4N. If you put it on centerstand, start it , put it in gear, rev it up to make 2500 and let out the clutch and then pull in the clutch can you hear it? How about if you do the same thing and turn off the ignition? Just trying to isolate the noise.

Let us know what the dealer says.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Hmmm that's interesting. Never heard that sound before on my bike. Not sure what that could be R4N. If you put it on centerstand, start it , put it in gear, rev it up to make 2500 and let out the clutch and then pull in the clutch can you hear it? How about if you do the same thing and turn off the ignition? Just trying to isolate the noise.

Let us know what the dealer says.
Mickey, why didn't I think of that? That's a great idea. I'll try it before I take it to the dealer.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Hmmm that's interesting. Never heard that sound before on my bike. Not sure what that could be R4N. If you put it on centerstand, start it , put it in gear, rev it up to make 2500 and let out the clutch and then pull in the clutch can you hear it? How about if you do the same thing and turn off the ignition? Just trying to isolate the noise.

Let us know what the dealer says.
I just tried that... no whine whatsoever. Then, I just took a short ride and the whine is back. I think it might be from the front wheel? What else could it be if it doesn't show up while spinning on the center stand?
 
My front wheel whines like that. It has done it ever since a tire change. Axle and spacers are perfect, wheel bearings are perfect, forks are aligned, brakes aren't dragging, normal tire wear.... It's just something that I've learned to accept as normal. Does the pitch of the whine change if you load the front wheel up by using the front brakes heavily?
 
the brake pads are lightly touching the discofreno, cooling holes causing that noise you hear when the brake pads will be reduced in thickness should disappear.

Americans excuse me for not perfect translation.
 
Thread starter
Andor_imp said:
the brake pads are lightly touching the discofreno, cooling holes causing that noise you hear when the brake pads will be reduced in thickness should disappear.

Americans excuse me for not perfect translation.
Andor... thank you. I'm totally impressed with your translation. It's much better than I could ever do in the reverse! Thanks!
kmoney_imp said:
My front wheel whines like that. It has done it ever since a tire change. Axle and spacers are perfect, wheel bearings are perfect, forks are aligned, brakes aren't dragging, normal tire wear.... It's just something that I've learned to accept as normal. Does the pitch of the whine change if you load the front wheel up by using the front brakes heavily?
Kmoney, I don't know, I'll have to try that. I am a bit relieved that it doesn't appear to be the engine or the drivetrain. I don't understand why it just started all of a sudden though. Interestingly you don't hear it at speed, just when slowing down.
 
R4N, try putting it on the centre stand, propping the front wheel off the ground and spinning it by hand to see whether you can hear anything. I guess you could also try taking it for a ride, turning off the ignition and rolling it down hill to see what you can hear.

I heard the noise, but it didn't sound particularly sinister to me.
 
Did you adjust your chain tension lately or the preload on the rear shocks? The chain will have the most slack in it when it's on the center stand so you may not hear it when testing while on the stand. If the chain is too tight, it will sound like a turbocharger and the pitch will vary with speed.
 
It may be the tires. I've got Road Smart IIs on my Concours 14 and it makes a whirring sound from the front tire when the bike is leaned over in a turn.
 
Thread starter
UPDATE... man, these CB's are amazing; they've even figured out how to fix themselves!! Lol... I rode the bike yesterday over to Powersports Honda in Largo, FL. and on the way there the noise disappeared. Go figure! I heard it for a bit, but then it disappeared... never to return. And since I don't like chasing ghosts, I turned around and went home. Oh well... glad it's gone!
 
Awesome R4N , ya gotta love it when they are "self healing"
 
Nice work, R4N.
 
Thread starter
JustCruising_imp said:
So just the threat of the forum knowledge did the job :celebrate:

Nice one ;)
That's it!!! The collective power of this group made it fix itself or else!
Man, you guys are good!!!
 
Back
Top