Which model gets best MPG, 5 vs. 6 speed?

dsinned_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Please indicate how many miles per gallon you get on your CB1100 depending on what transmission your bike has. Thanks!
 
2014 dlx 6 speed as low as 54 as high as 64 mpg, usually around 57 mpg with my usual 45-60 mph. 2 lane back road riding... but extended freeway at 70 mph plus will take it down to high 40s mpg.
 
2014 standard 6 speed similar speeds as Ferrets. I get 52 to 59 mpg with average around 56 mpg. Out West where I am the roads have more grade to them I believe.
Kevin
 
I get 36-40 in normal riding, which for me is not what you would consider conservative. I can easily get into the 50's if I deliberately try to hypermile. This engine seems very bi-polar: anything below 4800 RPM and its sips gas, but keeping it above that it drains it like there is a hole in the tank.
 
I can't seem to improve my average from 44.
 
My trip to Wytheville VA and back to Wi. I got 57.3 mpg.
Mostly interstate, the best I ever got on a trip.
I checked my # twice.
 
Thats really good for interstate CA. WOnder how much the windshield contributed to that.
 
I hit 60 mpg on two tanks running cross country on the backroads in my 2013. My average was 55 for the trip out keeping it under 70 mph. My average on the trip back was 42 mpg running 80+ mph on the interstate.
 
I get a solid average of 45 mpg. I commute 88 miles a day on freeway and side streets. More than half of it is slow going traffic the rest is high speed...
Standard 6 speed
Sent from me......
 
Fuel mileage varies more with the riding habits of the CB owner I think.

I tend to shift early and rarely exceed 3600 rpm thus mileage of my 2013 averages in the low 50's consistently. My last usage checked was a tad over 51 mpg, a mix of open highway and country two lanes. Not a scientific observation but my mileage seems improved when I fill with non ethanol gas. SCCBrider Kenny noticed the same after filling with the non ethanol when visiting here earlier this spring.
 
I'm certain my 60 mpg tanks were non non-ethanol as well. But I also had a tail wind.

I think there are just too many variables to put any kind of pattern together on mpg. Rider habits, elevation, fuel used, terrain, traffic, speed traveled, etc...
 
Thread starter
The rather surprising early returns (so far) suggest there is not much difference in fuel economy between 5 vs. 6 speed transmissions. I would of thought there is a significant difference, but doesn't look like it.
 
I consistently get 54-56 miles per gallon with a 2014 6 speed transmission. I ride normally, only get on it when merging onto a highway. Most of the time it's country roads and really small towns I'm traveling in. My town has a grand total of two stop lights.
 
Lol my town doesn't have any stop lights. Has three out on the state highway that bypasses it.
 
dsinned_imp said:
The rather surprising early returns (so far) suggest there is not much difference in fuel economy between 5 vs. 6 speed transmissions. I would of thought there is a significant difference, but doesn't look like it.
Fuel use is more related to how much horsepower you're demanding from the engine vs. what rpm your running. A CB1100 running down the highway at 75 mph in sixth gear should get very close to the same mileage as one running down the highway at the same speed in fifth gear. The frictional loss of the engine running at higher rpm would be negligible.

I didn't vote on this poll because my mpg varies greatly depending on the kind of riding I do. In the city, with lot's of stops and starts with (usually unnecessarily) hard acceleration, I've turned in 40 mpg. While on a back road with no stops, averaging 55-60 mph I've gotten 59 mpg out of a tank. I suppose my "mpg" would be somewhere in between, but I'm not sure exactly where. :)
 
Mostly I' m not pushing my 2013 CB hard but
ride it very smoothly. In average it
consumes 4,6l on 100km over a rounded
distance of 30.000km.
In addition to the previously mentioned
factors, that will raise fuel consumption,
colder outside temperatures will
be contraproductive to good mileage.
Although my driveing style does not differ,
the milelage always increase a bit.

Wisedrum
 
I consistently avg an amazing 60+ MPG, and I check it every time I fill up. Includes a VERY fast weekend in New Hampshire where I was doing 100 mph blasts all day.
The Vesco fairing is aerodynamic and makes the mileage go up. Upper 50's sometimes. I always use cheap 87 octane as per Honda manual. I also have a 1 tooth bigger front sprocket.
u
 
I average 38-40 miles per gallon with my 6 speed. About 80% of my mileage comes on back roads. It's possible that my relatively low mileage is from my right wrist being overly exuberant. I try to avoid highways in my area because I don't enjoy the noise of the wind at 65mph and I find them boring. The highways are for when I'm running late lol.
 
Back
Top