Where's the noise?

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
Just got in from a ride on my dlx. Rolling down the road and I spot a mother and her what looks like maybe 9 or 10 year old son walking down the road. I live in the country and we don't have sidewalks out here, folks just walk in the road and step off the side into the grass when a vehicle comes by.

Anyhow these two step off the road and I see the kid stick his fingers in his ears, I guess expecting the approaching motorcycle to have it's life saving pipes on full display. As I get closer, I swing out over the center line giving them some extra room, and as I pass giving I wave to the kid. His mom waved back, but the kid still had his fingers buried in his ears, and a puzzled look on his face like "where's the noise? " lol

Made me laugh.
 
"Quiet/Stealth pipes save kid's hearing and mom's appreciative/friendly wave to a considerate/center-line safety conscious rider"!...sure to have made a positive, lasting impression!...well played!:clap::clap::clap::worship::hello::thanks:
 
ya i really want a pipe, not that this bike is loud even with a pipe
but every time i ride it i love the peace and quiet
 
They must be tough these Ohioans. Most people the world over would dive for cover at the whisper of a low-flying Ferret. :P
 
i love the fact i can head out to work at 6am and not wake anyone up - including the 1 year old next door -- as opposed to the two harleys a couple of blocks over - lol
 
+1... The only thing I like better than staring at my DLX is listening to it's soft sweet sound!! I cringed when I watched the video comparing the exhaust note of the new EX to the old.... what were they thinking???
 
Call me funny- I like to hear at least a little of the motor in my motor-cycle.

I enjoy my Staintune. The stock can was too muffled- I don't want to ride a sewing machine.

That being said- I certainly don't want the CB1100 to be an ear splitting obnoxious bike either.
 
Always preferred a quiet motorcycle, had the forlorn hope in high school that I could sneak in without waking my parents.

Yeah, I know - loud pipes save squirrels lives.
 
After having my CB1100 for about a year (and enjoying the quiet ride) I found myself next to an SUV at a traffic light. The light changed and I took off, only to stop at the next light a block away. The gal in the SUV stuck her head out the window and said, "Excuse me, but is that an electric motorcycle?". Apparently, the lack of noise had her convinced that this was not an ordinary motorcycle. :P
 
Thread starter
:rofl: now that's quiet
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
Call me funny- I like to hear at least a little of the motor in my motor-cycle.

I enjoy my Staintune. The stock can was too muffled- I don't want to ride a sewing machine.

That being said- I certainly don't want the CB1100 to be an ear splitting obnoxious bike either.
I can't agree more. Staintune changed my experience with my CB. I'm not saying I didn't love having a quiet bike, but I always felt somehow jealous of the characteristic sound of other bikes and never felt in love with the sound of mine (again, just MY experience). The best part of the Aussie steel is that it's still not too loud, it looks perfect on this bike, and it gives just the exact amount of smooth "music" the bike needs. I know bikes and pipes are very personal, but to me it was THE BEST investment (not cheap) to improve the stock stuff on this bike (and so far the only one I've done).
 
Flynrider_imp said:
After having my CB1100 for about a year (and enjoying the quiet ride) I found myself next to an SUV at a traffic light. The light changed and I took off, only to stop at the next light a block away. The gal in the SUV stuck her head out the window and said, "Excuse me, but is that an electric motorcycle?". Apparently, the lack of noise had her convinced that this was not an ordinary motorcycle. :P
At the end of last summer I was also accused of riding an electric motorcycle ... by a guy on a bicycle.

I like to think of it as stealth.
 
Thread starter
Lol..they are not THAT quiet!
 
Had a Sportster for about 8,9 years with V&H pipes, not ridiculously loud. On long rides the rumble would fatigue the brain a bit, but FF helmet and ear plugs helped a lot. With the CB and same ear protection I find myself thinking out in expanses of the west...if it weren't for that faint whirring noise coming from the engine area, the only thing I would hear is the buffeting of the wind. With this bike you better like your own company on long trips! : )
 
Hatred66_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
Call me funny- I like to hear at least a little of the motor in my motor-cycle.

I enjoy my Staintune. The stock can was too muffled- I don't want to ride a sewing machine.

That being said- I certainly don't want the CB1100 to be an ear splitting obnoxious bike either.
I can't agree more. Staintune changed my experience with my CB. I'm not saying I didn't love having a quiet bike, but I always felt somehow jealous of the characteristic sound of other bikes and never felt in love with the sound of mine (again, just MY experience). The best part of the Aussie steel is that it's still not too loud, it looks perfect on this bike, and it gives just the exact amount of smooth "music" the bike needs. I know bikes and pipes are very personal, but to me it was THE BEST investment (not cheap) to improve the stock stuff on this bike (and so far the only one I've done).
I can't agree more. Staintune changed my experience with my CB. I'm not saying I didn't love having a quiet bike, but I always felt somehow jealous of the characteristic sound of other bikes and never felt in love with the sound of mine (again, just MY experience). The best part of the Aussie steel is that it's still not too loud, it looks perfect on this bike, and it gives just the exact amount of smooth "music" the bike needs. I know bikes and pipes are very personal, but to me it was THE BEST investment (not cheap) to improve the stock stuff on this bike (and so far the only one I've done).
ae789c8b870edf9e325707e28a2a279f.png
2d13aef10ed5efbfa32bbeb4795405d7.png
42ff9fcceda6199022ce7e56134afb5a.png
agree totally. I love the sound of my Staintune.
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
Call me funny- I like to hear at least a little of the motor in my motor-cycle.

I enjoy my Staintune. The stock can was too muffled- I don't want to ride a sewing machine.

That being said- I certainly don't want the CB1100 to be an ear splitting obnoxious bike either.
If I could find a sewing machine that sounds like my DLX I'd buy one for my wife for her upcoming birthday.... plus sewing lessons cause she doesn't even sew!!
 
Having never heard a DLX exhaust I can't comment on that.

The std exhaust is most certainly neutered. No self respecting MOTORcycle should put-put around like it did- lousy modern world we live in. ;)

A motorcycle needs to have a voice, a soul, an attitude..
 
Flynrider_imp said:
After having my CB1100 for about a year (and enjoying the quiet ride) I found myself next to an SUV at a traffic light. The light changed and I took off, only to stop at the next light a block away. The gal in the SUV stuck her head out the window and said, "Excuse me, but is that an electric motorcycle?". Apparently, the lack of noise had her convinced that this was not an ordinary motorcycle. :P

I've had similar comments around noise level with my stock exhaust. Another factor here could be what the rider or in this case your listener in the SUV next to you is accustomed to experiencing as far as the CB's motorcycle exhaust volume goes compared to other motorcycles. For example in my area, most VTwin/HD's, which are still the most seen on the roads in my area, can be heard (sometimes felt) from a few street blocks away and simply idling at traffic lights from inside a car with windows up and radio on. Compared to those bikes, our stock CB can be perceived as "electric like." I personally love it...find it achieves a great balance between volume and refinement...for me and my riding style anyway. I learned over the years preferred motorcycle exhaust volume/frequency/cadence are just as individual as preferred color, accessories, style and overall ascetics. What's often described as "loud" or a "refined exhaust note" to one individual can be "mean/powerful" or "church mouse quiet" to another person...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top