Where to tap speed sensor signal?

For a 2014 standard, which does not have an ABS modulator, the post model year 13 schematics show a pink/green wire to position 1 in the instruments. However, tracing that wire on the schematic shows it going nowhere, whereas on the ABS models it goes to the ABS modulator with inputs from both front and rear speed sensors.

Is this your module? http://www.signaldynamics.com/brakehold

The referenced schematics are pages 20-4 and 20-5 of the FSM. I have only a merged scan of those two pages and there may be something missing.

Until you have better info, I would probe the pink/green (position 1 of 10 pin connector) for a 0-5 vdc signal with the bike on the center stand, motor running and in gear. Expect the signal to vary as the speed changes.
 
Assuming yours has no abs, there is a 10 pole connector inside the headlight which has a pink/green wire.
this carries the ( i think ) low level signal from the rear wheel speed sensor, i would test the voltages with a multi meter ( or ideally an oscilloscope or similar ) to prevent damage to the instrument cluster ( these wires usually connect to a microprocessor input which handles a lot of different functions ) and if the voltage is compatible try to connect to the speedo wire with a suitable resistor in series.
you may need to call in a favour of someone with good electronic knowledge.

( sportsterdoc beat me to it but similar results )
 
I like this fair competition :clap:
:thumbsup: to both of you
I looks to me like you both not riding enough...lol..lol

:D
 
That's right, its 12 degrees here and no sun today so i'm hybernating.
Saw egleaves' question and when i was finished looking for the answers i noticed sd's reply, good to see we've come to the same conclusion, which is the reason i did not delete mine, well said Peter!
 
Thread starter
Good info, I'll probe the suggested wires. Seems like my suspicion is confirmed, that I'll need to open the instrument cluster...or maybe the headlight bucket. Didn't think it would lead there, but sounds convenient.

SportsterDoc, that's the one.

A little competition keeps us all on our toes. Thanks guys!
 
peterbaron_imp said:
I like this fair competition :clap:
:thumbsup: to both of you
I looks to me like you both not riding enough...lol..lol

:D
Max may be hibernating, but I am not.
Although probably only a little over 100 miles, tomorrow.

Not at all competition, just team work!
And thank Max and Popgun for my access to a schematic!!
Max, what is your thinking about a resistor, as the Signal Dynamics page makes no reference thereto?
 
Sorry SD, late response;
warning; tech babble ahead.

Was thinking the input to the sig-dyn unit was hopefully high impedance to not load the ecm output and a 10k 0r 47k resistor would separate the unit in case of a failure, somewhat like a fuse.
it would protect the ecm in case 12 volts were to become present on the white wire and limit the fault current to 1mA or less since i have no idea what the safe input level was to the ecm/instrument cluster and it is possible that the speed sensor has only 100 milivolts output if it is a reluctance sensor ( a small coil that picks up pulses from the abs tone wheel ).
On one diagram it calls the pulse input + and - on the abs unit, not sure what that means, hence the suggestion of an oscilloscope which displays the waveform and value of it rather than an average value on a multimeter, just to be on the safe side and not knowing enough about either unit.
 
Following this thread with interest as I've been wanting to use the speed input option on my power commander autotune box as well.

I've emailed a couple people but have not received conclusive responses so I haven't done anything.

I am more a mechanical guy, not electric. :)
 
Max
Your post 9 appears to be a precautionary suggestion, not something necessary for the Signal Dynamics module to function, is that correct?

Received your email, last night. Will send you the schematic with the pink/green ending in the middle of the two pages. I am not seeing a VSP on that schematic.

On the ABS schematic, the front and rear VSP + and - on the brake module have no voltage indication, although the unit is powered by ignition voltage.

Thank you for all your input.
 
Doc, which schematic are you looking at? The ‘14 ABS model?
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Doc, which schematic are you looking at? The ‘14 ABS model?
In post 12, yes.
I will email you the other schematic that I just emailed Max.
 
OK, here is the problem. The one schematic is for the 2013 ABS.

The schematic that has page numbers ( 20-4 and 20-5) is incorrectly put together out of the ‘14ABS on the left, and the 2014 non ABS on the right. That is why it doesn’t look right. Because it isn’t.

Is your bike a 2014 ABS?
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
OK, here is the problem. The one schematic is for the 2013 ABS.

The schematic that has page numbers ( 20-4 and 20-5) is incorrectly put together out of the ‘14ABS on the left, and the 2014 non ABS on the right. That is why it doesn’t look right. Because it isn’t.

Is your bike a 2014 ABS?
Thanks, Popgun, as that was very strange.

Both egleaves and mine are 2014 standards, which are non-ABS.

The speed sensor is at the rear brake, so I would expect that is where the pink/green should go.

Heading for the mountains, will check back this afternoon.
 
Do you need me to look at my manual when I'll get home... so is for 2014 CB ABS ???
 
Max made the combined schematics from scans I made. My scanner takes 2 scans for each diagram as they are too long for my printer. I’ll send them to you, but you will have to print them out and put them together.

Or, Max can correct the error. I’m sure everyone knows, if your bike does not have ABS, there is no ABS modulator and the wiring and signal distrubution is not the same.
 
Thread starter
I would love to get a hold of a wiring diagram for a 2014 CB1100E. The one I have says it for a CB1100A which, if I'm not mistaken, is the deluxe with ABS.
 
egleaves_imp said:
I would love to get a hold of a wiring diagram for a 2014 CB1100E. The one I have says it for a CB1100A which, if I'm not mistaken, is the deluxe with ABS.
NO MAYBE MAKE SURE WHAT IT IS
 
Back
Top