Where oh where to buy my helmet?

NightRider_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Buying my helmet today. I googled "how to buy a motorcycle helmet" and every answer bothered me, every answer was "try it on in the dealer and buy online". I don't think so, I believe in developing a relationship with your dealer and keeping him or her in business so it's there when you need it.

So, I was prepared to pay extra for that helmet today. I checked the prices online, went to the dealer I bought my CB1100 from. Without any hesitation, the saleslady matched the cheapest price I found online for the HJC IS-MAX BT at 159.00 (177.00 at Amazon btw, 159.00 at Revzilla). She also spent a couple of hours fitting me with new boots, all weather armored jacket and pants and cloves, running back and forth to get a different size or style or both, and then adjusting all the price tags down on each item to make the sale happen, "a package deal" she said. Amazing service from a dealer who earns my business.

So, even if had to pay retail on these items, and was never asked to, it would have been well worth it for the service. Plus, the dealer already knew me by name and purchase history and obviously is and will continue to be super responsive whenever I need anything for my bike or myself.

So, where is the best place to buy a helmet? Your CB1100 dealer, both of you building upon the relationship started when you chose to buy your CB1100 from that dealer. My dealer is Sloans Motorsports in Murfreesboro, TN. People drive hundreds of miles to buy from that dealer btw.

- Art
 
My dealer couldn't care less, a shocking about face since my family has purchased many a bike from them. So I went to another dealer 10 miles away, was surprised by both their volume and selection. And they had great service too. So after looking at all they offered, I came out with my Shoei for $70 less than Revzilla. I'm planning on buying some new gloves there next month.......and my oil....and my filters.....and perhaps some RLETS.
 
I live within riding distance of the Revzilla showroom, so I buy a lot of riding gear from them, although trying it on first is key...there have been many times when I am "sold" on a certain item based on the internet stats and forums, only to learn more and change my mind when I see it in person or try it on...I have a hard time finding clothes that fit me...they always look better on the model.
I try not to "use" a retailer for fitting and than saving a few penny's online
I try to be loyal...but within reason, money is after all, money.
 
While I buy a lot of motorcycle stuff on the Internet, helmets are different. Fit is critical, so there's no substitute for actually trying on various types and sizes. I don't subscribe to the "try it on at the store and buy on the Internet" theory. That just goes against my "fair play" instinct. The local Cycle Gear store has a pretty good selection and much more reasonable pricing than any of the local dealers. That's my first (and usually last) stop when I'm looking for a helmet.
 
This is a good subject...not the least because my old Scorpion helmet, eight years old, is about ready to be tossed.

As I learned while setting up my windscreen...there's noise issues; and the Scorpion mutes them much better than my HJC modular. Now I love the HJC, but it's obviously not the touring choice.

I'd love to find a full-face helmet that has noise deadening and provision for earpieces - that are proven to work good with sound setups. Long trips, I love to listen to podcasts - just finished the History of Rome, that's what entertained me on the slabs when I was out on the Oregon Coast.

But...yes! If you have linx to reviews, good reviews...please, please share...
 
JPT, I now this is not the time to talk about expensive bike riding gear, but if you want earpieces, the crême de la crême is the Bose QC20 in-ear noise cancelling headphones. They are simply superb: excellent ear plugs if you simply want quiet or earphones if you want to listen to music or podcasts or anything else at a sensible volume.

I saw once that Sony also sells a similar product, but I've not seen or tried it. There are other solutions involving earphones and custon fitted putty that others have spoken well of.
 
Cormanus, with these noise cancelling headphones, are you able to hear anything other than your music and/or dead quiet? It does sound nice, i'm just curious how well they work..



Cormanus_imp said:
JPT, I now this is not the time to talk about expensive bike riding gear, but if you want earpieces, the crême de la crême is the Bose QC20 in-ear noise cancelling headphones. They are simply superb: excellent ear plugs if you simply want quiet or earphones if you want to listen to music or podcasts or anything else at a sensible volume.

I saw once that Sony also sells a similar product, but I've not seen or tried it. There are other solutions involving earphones and custon fitted putty that others have spoken well of.
 
It's not dead quiet. You can hear some wind and background noise, but it's significantly reduced to the point where it's unlikely to damage your hearing.
 
I never had any luck at all in buying a helmet from a dealer. They just never had the combination of brand, size, and color that I wanted. Once, I even offered to wait if they would order one. I would get hesitation and excuses which told me they really didn't want to bother and I shouldn't hold my breath even if they promised to do so.

Now, since I have quite a few years experience, I know just how what brand's size I need and a very good idea of how it will feel so I buy all helmets online. I stick to Nolan and Scorpion, and now prefer Nolan.

I'm about to take my wife helmet and riding gear shopping for her scooter I just got her, and have no doubt I'll wind up ordering that stuff online too after visiting a store or two. I just know she won't settle for whatever they have, and will want what she wants and nothing else.

I feel for everyone that is just starting out, buying their first helmet and making the rounds of stores and trying to guess what size to order online if they go that route.
 
My dealer will order ANYTHING! And if it doesn't fit they just put it on the shelf.

But my riding jacket, and all I usually buy from another dealer that has a big selection of sizes and brands. I try stuff on for size, then they order in the color I want if they don't have it.
 
ClassicVW_imp said:
I never had any luck at all in buying a helmet from a dealer. They just never had the combination of brand, size, and color that I wanted. Once, I even offered to wait if they would order one. I would get hesitation and excuses which told me they really didn't want to bother and I shouldn't hold my breath even if they promised to do so.

Now, since I have quite a few years experience, I know just how what brand's size I need and a very good idea of how it will feel so I buy all helmets online. I stick to Nolan and Scorpion, and now prefer Nolan.

I'm about to take my wife helmet and riding gear shopping for her scooter I just got her, and have no doubt I'll wind up ordering that stuff online too after visiting a store or two. I just know she won't settle for whatever they have, and will want what she wants and nothing else.

I feel for everyone that is just starting out, buying their first helmet and making the rounds of stores and trying to guess what size to order online if they go that route.
Take her to the Revzilla boutique, she will find something there for sure.
 
HikerToo_imp said:
ClassicVW_imp said:
I never had any luck at all in buying a helmet from a dealer. They just never had the combination of brand, size, and color that I wanted. Once, I even offered to wait if they would order one. I would get hesitation and excuses which told me they really didn't want to bother and I shouldn't hold my breath even if they promised to do so.

Now, since I have quite a few years experience, I know just how what brand's size I need and a very good idea of how it will feel so I buy all helmets online. I stick to Nolan and Scorpion, and now prefer Nolan.

I'm about to take my wife helmet and riding gear shopping for her scooter I just got her, and have no doubt I'll wind up ordering that stuff online too after visiting a store or two. I just know she won't settle for whatever they have, and will want what she wants and nothing else.

I feel for everyone that is just starting out, buying their first helmet and making the rounds of stores and trying to guess what size to order online if they go that route.
Take her to the Revzilla boutique, she will find something there for sure.
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind, but even tough I'm in NJ, I'm almost 2 hours from Philly! :-/
 
Back
Top