When the mind wanders: twenty-seven to one!

I read somewhere, have no idea where, that adventure bikes and standards have increasing sales, while the rest are dropping. Especially sports bikes.

I do fear that adventure bikes will replace cruisers for your fashion conscious types. The rest seems to indicate an aging of the riding demographic. WAG on my part.
 
Nothing but Harleys here and the occasional Indian, not even any GS Beemers. What depresses me about the situation is the lack of variety. Being a motorcycle enthusiast I like looking at lots of different bikes. I would feel the same if I saw nothing but 600 sportbikes, or all CB 1100s for that matter. Imagine seeing nothing but CB 1100s week after week, 5, 10, 20 together in packs, year after year, and then a solo Harley rolls by. I would be excited as all get out, to see it.

I was glad inhouse bob' s buddy jim, rode a KTM to the rally. I never see KTMs on the road.it was cool seeing one.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Nothing but Harleys here and the occasional Indian, not even any GS Beemers. What depresses me about the situation is the lack of variety. Being a motorcycle enthusiast I like looking at lots of different bikes. I would feel the same if I saw nothing but 600 sportbikes, or all CB 1100s for that matter. Imagine seeing nothing but CB 1100s week after week, 5, 10, 20 together in packs, year after year, and then a solo Harley rolls by. I would be excited as all get out, to see it.

I was glad inhouse bob' s buddy jim, rode a KTM to the rally. I never see KTMs on the road.it was cool seeing one.
And that was VLJ's point, wasn't it?

Monocultures are seldom good, so it's a pity not to see a greater variety of bikes. Around here you never know quite what you'll see. At the weekend, on the runs near the city, one will see all sorts of bikes from sports bike to cruisers. Further out, there's lots of Harleys, but also ADV bikes and the odd sports bike. We must be lucky.

The ferret_imp said:
Nothing but Harleys here and the occasional Indian, not even any GS Beemers. What depresses me about the situation is the lack of variety. Being a motorcycle enthusiast I like looking at lots of different bikes. I would feel the same if I saw nothing but 600 sportbikes, or all CB 1100s for that matter. Imagine seeing nothing but CB 1100s week after week, 5, 10, 20 together in packs, year after year, and then a solo Harley rolls by. I would be excited as all get out, to see it.

I was glad inhouse bob' s buddy jim, rode a KTM to the rally. I never see KTMs on the road.it was cool seeing one.
Was Jim's bike a KTM 1290? They're impressive beasts.
 
Yes 1290 ADV huge beast. Unbelievable that someone could ride that on anything more gnarly than a fireroad.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Nothing but Harleys here and the occasional Indian, not even any GS Beemers. What depresses me about the situation is the lack of variety. Being a motorcycle enthusiast I like looking at lots of different bikes. I would feel the same if I saw nothing but 600 sportbikes, or all CB 1100s for that matter. Imagine seeing nothing but CB 1100s week after week, 5, 10, 20 together in packs, year after year, and then a solo Harley rolls by. I would be excited as all get out, to see it.

I was glad inhouse bob' s buddy jim, rode a KTM to the rally. I never see KTMs on the road.it was cool seeing one.
And that was VLJ's point, wasn't it?

Monocultures are seldom good, so it's a pity not to see a greater variety of bikes. Around here you never know quite what you'll see. At the weekend, on the runs near the city, one will see all sorts of bikes from sports bike to cruisers. Further out, there's lots of Harleys, but also ADV bikes and the odd sports bike. We must be lucky.

The ferret_imp said:
Nothing but Harleys here and the occasional Indian, not even any GS Beemers. What depresses me about the situation is the lack of variety. Being a motorcycle enthusiast I like looking at lots of different bikes. I would feel the same if I saw nothing but 600 sportbikes, or all CB 1100s for that matter. Imagine seeing nothing but CB 1100s week after week, 5, 10, 20 together in packs, year after year, and then a solo Harley rolls by. I would be excited as all get out, to see it.

I was glad inhouse bob' s buddy jim, rode a KTM to the rally. I never see KTMs on the road.it was cool seeing one.
Was Jim's bike a KTM 1290? They're impressive beasts.
And that was VLJ's point, wasn't it?
Nope. His point was not that variety was desired, but that everyone should be riding a “Standard” bike and his secondary point was that he was embarrassed because so many folks choose to ride V-twins.
 
As has been mentioned earlier, here in Europe we are blessed with much more diversity when it comes to bikes. On my regular rides in the area, you can never really generalise that a specific type or model dominates. There are certainly a number of GSs and similar bikes (Multistrada, KTM, Versys etc.), many sportbikes as well as a good collection of supermotos. Roadsters are common, but usually the more powerful ones like Tuonos, Speed Triples, FZ09 and so on, and some proper touring bikes like RTs. Probably cruisers are among the most rare ones, but I do still regularly see some Harleys and are beginning to see more regularly also Indians now. I think for the most part riders figure out fairly quickly that cruisers are not really well suited for riding around our mountain roads…

Personally I seem to be somebody who always falls for the rarest of bikes, or rather bikes that nobody else wants to buy. There was an article recently in a French web magazine about 10 bikes that nobody buys but that really deserve more success. Other than the CB1100 being on the list, there were several others that are among my favourite bikes and some that I am seriously considering buying or have already owned. For example the Moto Morini Corsaro was on the list, a bike I have owned and really enjoyed (and I believe the best power roadster made). Other mentions include the BMW R1250 RS and the Multistrada 950, both bikes figuring on my shortlist for next year. Mind you, on the top of my shortlist is the SuperSport 950 which I think has sold even less than the Multistrada 950, and one that should have been part of this top ten list. Incidentally the only cruiser I could consider was on the list, and is the Guzzi California.

This all suits me quite well though, as I never like to ride the same thing as everybody else. Instead I strive to find the bike that is perfect for me, and for sure the CB1100 fits that description.
 
Last time I checked we had a WIDE spectrum for bikes for sale in this country. Probably more than most countries when you also consider the niche makers like Motus, Confederate (or whatever their name was changed to) etc. Sure we lack the occasional model in a line-up, say like the CB1100RS but mostly the showrooms are chock FULL of various platform options designed for a whole host of riding styles for riders to spend their money on.

My take on this discussion about the USA's apparent fixation with cruiser style bikes:

The American buyer appears to CHOOSE one particular platform over others. I believe credit in part has to go to MoCo's advertising department because they tapped in to that American mindset of rugged individualism, go at it alone lone wolf, independent streak that was fostered in many other commercial non-motorcycle product lines. They took the Marlboro man, put him in a leather jacket and sat him on a bike, usually with the Stars and Stripes nearby and sold and capitalized on that image brilliantly. You only need to visualize the Terminator on a CB 750 vs the Fat Boy to see what I'm getting at. Their advertising department pushed the mantra of ….You buy a Harley and you get your man card punched, receive instant street cred and the local homecoming queen will be along shortly to ask for a ride. Now-a-days that sales pitch is called "Toxic Masculinity".

Secondary to that is a whole host of contributing factors that may make the cruiser the bike platform of choice in the USA. VERY Cheap gas so engine size isn't a consideration. Thousands of miles of wide open secondary roads and super highways stretching to the horizon. It's the ideal platform to ride 2 up on. Most are very accommodation to the vertically challenged etc. etc.

Personally I don't think its sad to see so many cruisers on the roads. To each his/her own. It was a FREELY made choice. What would make it sad for me is if the government collective MANDATED that we all rode cruisers.

Today I rode the UCMJ CB to work. Tomorrow it might be the HD RK Cruiser. Could be the MG V7R Cafe or XR1200. Depends on how I feel, but I’m pretty sure it won't be sad.
 
For me, it was simply a progression of what I had learned on. Years ago, I took the California MSF course on a 1980something Honda Rebel, which I found comfortable and low to the ground. As a result, I chose a slightly larger Honda Shadow as my first bike. It was still comfortable and low to the ground, but could manage traffic speeds.

By the time my riding turned from the "lone wolf seeking personal redemption along a desolate road that allows some thinking time" to "commuting to work in narrow confines holy crap will my huge 1800cc bagger fit through there?", I had started to question the necessity for a rolling couch to thread through narrow holes in traffic.

I borrowed a standard street bike and realized that there are machines in the world that can turn and stop, sit up high enough to let you see traffic, and don't make sparks fly when they turn. I sold my behemoth and have never looked back. I've always loved the classic look of a cruiser, and if 99% of my riding didn't involve being inches away from side view mirrors, I'd add one back to my collection.
 
Frulk_imp said:
Last time I checked we had a WIDE spectrum for bikes for sale in this country. Probably more than most countries when you also consider the niche makers like Motus, Confederate (or whatever their name was changed to) etc. Sure we lack the occasional model in a line-up, say like the CB1100RS but mostly the showrooms are chock FULL of various platform options designed for a whole host of riding styles for riders to spend their money on.

My take on this discussion about the USA's apparent fixation with cruiser style bikes:

The American buyer appears to CHOOSE one particular platform over others. I believe credit in part has to go to MoCo's advertising department because they tapped in to that American mindset of rugged individualism, go at it alone lone wolf, independent streak that was fostered in many other commercial non-motorcycle product lines. They took the Marlboro man, put him in a leather jacket and sat him on a bike, usually with the Stars and Stripes nearby and sold and capitalized on that image brilliantly. You only need to visualize the Terminator on a CB 750 vs the Fat Boy to see what I'm getting at. Their advertising department pushed the mantra of ….You buy a Harley and you get your man card punched, receive instant street cred and the local homecoming queen will be along shortly to ask for a ride. Now-a-days that sales pitch is called "Toxic Masculinity".

Secondary to that is a whole host of contributing factors that may make the cruiser the bike platform of choice in the USA. VERY Cheap gas so engine size isn't a consideration. Thousands of miles of wide open secondary roads and super highways stretching to the horizon. It's the ideal platform to ride 2 up on. Most are very accommodation to the vertically challenged etc. etc.

Personally I don't think its sad to see so many cruisers on the roads. To each his/her own. It was a FREELY made choice. What would make it sad for me is if the government collective MANDATED that we all rode cruisers.

Today I rode the UCMJ CB to work. Tomorrow it might be the HD RK Cruiser. Could be the MG V7R Cafe or XR1200. Depends on how I feel, but I’m pretty sure it won't be sad.
This has been said many times before in many different ways:

It is not about the HD machine. It is about the owner.

The machine is just a machine - that is it ... period.

On the other hand, the owner (and presumed rider) offers a way to perceive the machine. If the owner of the machine is not a dink, then the machine commands a sort of respect. If like many HD owners I have met who cannot carry a normal adult conversation, the machine is sour, contrived.
 
Thread starter
EmptySea_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Nothing but Harleys here and the occasional Indian, not even any GS Beemers. What depresses me about the situation is the lack of variety. Being a motorcycle enthusiast I like looking at lots of different bikes. I would feel the same if I saw nothing but 600 sportbikes, or all CB 1100s for that matter. Imagine seeing nothing but CB 1100s week after week, 5, 10, 20 together in packs, year after year, and then a solo Harley rolls by. I would be excited as all get out, to see it.

I was glad inhouse bob' s buddy jim, rode a KTM to the rally. I never see KTMs on the road.it was cool seeing one.
And that was VLJ's point, wasn't it?

Monocultures are seldom good, so it's a pity not to see a greater variety of bikes. Around here you never know quite what you'll see. At the weekend, on the runs near the city, one will see all sorts of bikes from sports bike to cruisers. Further out, there's lots of Harleys, but also ADV bikes and the odd sports bike. We must be lucky.

The ferret_imp said:
Nothing but Harleys here and the occasional Indian, not even any GS Beemers. What depresses me about the situation is the lack of variety. Being a motorcycle enthusiast I like looking at lots of different bikes. I would feel the same if I saw nothing but 600 sportbikes, or all CB 1100s for that matter. Imagine seeing nothing but CB 1100s week after week, 5, 10, 20 together in packs, year after year, and then a solo Harley rolls by. I would be excited as all get out, to see it.

I was glad inhouse bob' s buddy jim, rode a KTM to the rally. I never see KTMs on the road.it was cool seeing one.
Was Jim's bike a KTM 1290? They're impressive beasts.
And that was VLJ's point, wasn't it?
Nope. His point was not that variety was desired, but that everyone should be riding a “Standard” bike and his secondary point was that he was embarrassed because so many folks choose to ride V-twins.
And that was VLJ's point, wasn't it?
Nope. His point was not that variety was desired, but that everyone should be riding a “Standard” bike and his secondary point was that he was embarrassed because so many folks choose to ride V-twins.
Wow. How on earth did you get that so totally wrong?

As Cormanus stated, my point was that we are now witnessing a conspicuous lack of variety. Making the situation even worse, the default choice is the bottom-of-the-barrel option, the McDonald's of motorcycling, the cruiser. I wasn't singling out the V-Twin motor design. Nope. Just feet-forward cruisers. I have no problem with V-Twin or L-Twin Ducatis, KTMs, Aprilias, Suzuki SV650s/1000s, V-Stroms, Honda Hawks/Superhawks, etc. My point was absolutely not that everyone should be riding a Standard-style bike. My point was that it depresses me that nearly everyone in this country chooses to ride cruisers, when there are so many better options.
 
“My point was that it depresses me that nearly everyone in this country chooses to ride cruisers, when there are so many better options.”

Better options for what? That’s a totally subjective assessment and is based on a whole host of variables and in the final analysis is a personal choice made by the individual whose laying down the money. It looks like American riders have voted for a favorite riding platform and it appears to be the cruiser. In a democracy you get your say, not necessarily your way. 1st world problem. Get out and ride!
 
Frulk_imp said:
Last time I checked we had a WIDE spectrum for bikes for sale in this country. Probably more than most countries when you also consider the niche makers like Motus, Confederate (or whatever their name was changed to) etc. Sure we lack the occasional model in a line-up, say like the CB1100RS but mostly the showrooms are chock FULL of various platform options designed for a whole host of riding styles for riders to spend their money on.

My take on this discussion about the USA's apparent fixation with cruiser style bikes:

The American buyer appears to CHOOSE one particular platform over others. I believe credit in part has to go to MoCo's advertising department because they tapped in to that American mindset of rugged individualism, go at it alone lone wolf, independent streak that was fostered in many other commercial non-motorcycle product lines. They took the Marlboro man, put him in a leather jacket and sat him on a bike, usually with the Stars and Stripes nearby and sold and capitalized on that image brilliantly. You only need to visualize the Terminator on a CB 750 vs the Fat Boy to see what I'm getting at. Their advertising department pushed the mantra of ….You buy a Harley and you get your man card punched, receive instant street cred and the local homecoming queen will be along shortly to ask for a ride. Now-a-days that sales pitch is called "Toxic Masculinity".

Secondary to that is a whole host of contributing factors that may make the cruiser the bike platform of choice in the USA. VERY Cheap gas so engine size isn't a consideration. Thousands of miles of wide open secondary roads and super highways stretching to the horizon. It's the ideal platform to ride 2 up on. Most are very accommodation to the vertically challenged etc. etc.

Personally I don't think its sad to see so many cruisers on the roads. To each his/her own. It was a FREELY made choice. What would make it sad for me is if the government collective MANDATED that we all rode cruisers.

Today I rode the UCMJ CB to work. Tomorrow it might be the HD RK Cruiser. Could be the MG V7R Cafe or XR1200. Depends on how I feel, but I’m pretty sure it won't be sad.
Is it just me, or is there something wonderful about an appeal to rugged individualism and independence producing a largely homogenous response?
 
Thread starter
Frulk_imp said:
“My point was that it depresses me that nearly everyone in this country chooses to ride cruisers, when there are so many better options.”

Better options for what? That’s a totally subjective assessment and is based on a whole host of variables and in the final analysis is a personal choice made by the individual whose laying down the money. It looks like American riders have voted for a favorite riding platform and it appears to be the cruiser. In a democracy you get your say, not necessarily your way. 1st world problem. Get out and ride!
No, it really isn't subjective. It's quantifiable. Measurable.

Turning. Stopping. Accelerating. These are the three primary functions of a motorcycle. In all three areas of pure functionality, cruisers are stuck in the Stone Ages.

Everything else is vanity.

Now, there are two other functions that matter: fuel mileage, and comfort; comfort being highly subjective. Even in terms of comfort, however, feet-forward cruisers trail the pack. Check the chassis of any motorcycle designed primarily for long-distance riding. Check the Iron Butt Rally bikes. Check the chassis of any Highway Patrol vehicle, or any police vehicle that must be ridden all day, every day.

Never a feet-forward riding position, with the rider's weight centered on his tailbone.

This is not subjective. This is basic ergonomic design, basic physiology.

Quote:and is based on a whole host of variables and in the final analysis is a personal choice made by the individual whose laying down the money. It looks like American riders have voted for a favorite riding platform and it appears to be the cruiser.
Whether it's fast food, video games, auto-tuned vocals, NASCAR, professional wrestling, Monster Truck rallies, the Kardashians, gangsta rap, CVT automotive transmissions, Britney Spears, Donald Trump or Barack Obama, superhero movies, comic books, crap beer, pandemic obesity, embarrassing rates of illiteracy, the dumbing down of the basic English language, you name it, the American public has proven time and again that it flocks like sheep to the lowest common denominator.

Unfortunately, it's just what we do.

"No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people."

Absolutely.

In our neck of the woods here, i.e., motorcycling, the rampant popularity of cruisers over so many other, superior functional designs is just another three-ton stone added to our growing pyramid of cultural ignominy.

Quote:In a democracy you get your say, not necessarily your way. 1st world problem. Get out and ride!
I do. Just about every day.
 
Back
Top