when are these bikes actually out of gas??

I like filling up my tank, that's when I get noticed and love having people make comments about it, I don't mind taking a break after a 100 miles or so, I need a smoke and a coke by then. I love my 13 tank, it's very very sexy.....
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
pwh421_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Length between headstock and seat determined length, design criteria to see motor on both sides when sitting on bike determined width, only other option for increasing capacity is making tank taller, which they did on the dlx, and most of the early adopters thought that made the tank look bloated.

The price you pay for sporting looks.
See that is when you can tell that even honda (or maybe especially Honda) lets marketing, rather than riders, make too many decisions..

oh well..

Back to "I ran out of gas because..." stories..
The riders make decisions? Good idea. This forum should set up a working committee to decide which riders and how the riders will make the decisions required. Some suggestions:

1. Group decision-making
Consensus decision-making tries to avoid "winners" and "losers". Consensus requires that a majority approve a given course of action, but that the minority agree to go along with the course of action. In other words, if the minority opposes the course of action, consensus requires that the course of action be modified to remove objectionable features.

2. Voting-based methods:
a). Majority requires support from more than 50% of the members of the group. Thus, the bar for action is lower than with consensus.
Plurality, where the largest block in a group decides, even if it falls short of a majority.
B). Range voting lets each member score one or more of the available options. The option with the highest average is chosen. This method has experimentally been shown to produce the lowest Bayesian regret among common voting methods, even when voters are strategic.

3. Delphi method is structured communication technique for groups, originally developed for collaborative forecasting but has also been used for policy making.

4. Dotmocracy is a facilitation method that relies on the use of special forms called Dotmocracy Sheets to allow large groups to collectively brainstorm and recognize agreement on an unlimited number of ideas they have authored.

5. Participative decision-making occurs when an authority opens up the decision-making process to a group of people for a collaborative effort.

6. Decision engineering uses a visual map of the decision-making process based on system dynamics and can be automated through a decision modeling tool, integrating big data, machine learning, and expert knowledge as appropriate.

Once the riders have sorted that out perhaps then a Steering committee should be selected by the riders. Who sits on that committee could be determined by one of the above methods. That steering committee could perhaps select and assign groups of riders to various sub-assemblies of the bike to determine the form these sub-assemblies should take. Review committees would then review these decisions and submit further recommendations to independent consultants for their recommendations on the aforementioned recommendations. These recommendations would need to be costed. A Finance Committee, selected by riders, would take the matter in hand and bring down recommendations for review by the working committee. The working committee would then review, revise and develop working papers for the general riding population for consultative purposes. Feedback from the riding population would need to be reviewed by another independent committee who would then take their recommendations to the first mentioned steering committee.

I realise that this is simplifying what in practice would be a much more complex process but it would be worth a try.

Cheers.
The riders make decisions? Good idea.

Ah Sarcasm... :thumbsup:

And you are right, decision by committee is terrible..

But maybe, just maybe, if they asked two or three riders they'd see that we'd like more than 150 miles on tank.. The CB is not a track oriented race bike, there is no reason to limit it's range that way.. None..

Every good Mountain pass near me has stretches that make that small tank a concern.. Yes Yes, I bought it and I love it.. But I am allowed to be bummed at that one decision on what is otherwise a truly spectacular machine..

carry on..
 
This may sound stupid, but here it is, looking at it like a shirt size, I consider this bike to be medium size, I wish the overall dimension size was x-large, then the tank would be bigger but the same shape as it is now, I alway considered this bike to be a big small bike, I'm only 5'9" but I feel like I'm almost to big.....
 
I don't think the larger tank on the DLX detracts from its looks at all. In my case, I actually think it works better with the Chic Sport Trunk.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Jeff capacity for the 2013 and 14 stds is 3.9 US gals and for the 14 dlx 4.6 US gals according to the spec sheet, but no member has ever run one dry and then measured how much it took to fill as far as I know.
In my thread that is linked earlier, I ran out of gas. I'm kinda OCD about gas, and so I checked when I filled. My wife brought me approximately .75 gallons and when I filled I filled 3.1. So, the '13 at least is exactly 3.9.
 
I apologise Pwh, no personal sarcasm intended.


Headbanger02_imp said:
This may sound stupid, but here it is, looking at it like a shirt size, I consider this bike to be medium size, I wish the overall dimension size was x-large, then the tank would be bigger but the same shape as it is now, I alway considered this bike to be a big small bike, I'm only 5'9" but I feel like I'm almost to big.....
A small bike by today's standards, yes. However looking back to "the day" a bike built like the CB was considered largish. Even Brando (Johnny) dwarfed his T-bird. Even big bikes have grown. Look at today's Gold Wing compared to the first model.

'74 Wing.
ce308958cba94d6ce12b143a8fb3c056.jpeg


As for engine sizes, my 650 Bonnie was a super bike. Tank capacity is limited I agree. I get a max of 230kms from my '10 model before I feel uncomfortable. Smooth cruising maybe 250kms. I just rationalise and remind myself this bike was not designed as a tourer. If I go to a remote area I need to be careful that fuel is available within range or I carry my own reserve.

Cheers
 
I addressed this, after a bit of a lesson-learned today...over here.

Rather than me posting the same thing twice, hop on over.

Bottom line: Once you get a double-bar...you're on your own. Spin the wheel and see where it stops. You might get lucky. Or not.
 
When you on E and your no longer rolling and stuck on the side of the road, well thats when your actually out of gas. Lol.
Are you guys filling with it on the side stand or center stand?
 
uscgmac_imp said:
When you on E and your no longer rolling and stuck on the side of the road, well thats when your actually out of gas. Lol.
Are you guys filling with it on the side stand or center stand?
Center stand for me. On the side stand it doesn't look possible to fill it to the same degree IMO.
 
I fill on sidestand. One would think you could get more on the centerstand, but I have filled it on the sidestand, then put it on the centerstand and tried to get more gas in but was only able to squeeze in a few more ounces.
 
Pterodactyl, please stay off the Chardonnay. You know it brings out these preposterous democratic inclinations.
 
Chardonnay? Bless my button up boots, you're jibes are just too, too cruel. You spare no one. You know what I think of "Chardy sippers"! That aside, last night, over an earthy full bodied Hunter Shiraz, I got to cogitating this matter of tank size, or lack thereof. The '10 model, "the original and best"* has a 14.6 litre tank, the '13 model followed this standard.

A previous poster may have been on the money when he opined that this fuel capacity is more than sufficient for the more densely populated parts of our planet but a little bijou when considering the vast and sparse open spaces of the continent, or island if you wish, that make up a good proportion of the wide brown land of OZ. These sweeping plains, devoid of petrol stations or, believe it or not, even 7-Elevens, are often referred to as "The GAFA". Forum Decorum prevents me expanding on that. In fact I recall that when returning from our Mildura ride we rejected a route via Broken Hill due to the possibility of fuel starvation short of our destination. It should be noted by intrepid adventurers unfamiliar with OZ , Rotor for example, that, in remote areas, if prudent precautions are not in place then fuel starvation will almost certainly be followed by bodily starvation. Some tourists, and the occasional foolhardy local, have found this out. The hard way.

However I digress, let's return from reminiscence to regarding the ideal tank size and how to determine that ideal size. And to that end, I recommend that we set up an interdepartmental committee with fairly broad terms of reference so that at the end of the day we'll be in the position to think through the various implications and arrive at a decision based on long-term considerations rather than rush prematurely into precipitate and possibly ill-conceived action which might well have unforeseen repercussions. I think I know just the man to oversee this process.

Cheers mate.

*Hence forth referred to as the O and B
 
I fill it just sitting on the bike with it upright. I find it gets more than when on the side stand. If you fill it till it starts to run up the hole and let it sink down a couple times you can get an extra 500ml or so into it -- I guess we have an air pocket in our tanks...
 
The ferret_imp said:
I fill on sidestand. One would think you could get more on the centerstand, but I have filled it on the sidestand, then put it on the centerstand and tried to get more gas in but was only able to squeeze in a few more ounces.
Yup.

Exactly.
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Chardonnay? Bless my button up boots, you're jibes are just too, too cruel. You spare no one. You know what I think of "Chardy sippers"! That aside, last night, over an earthy full bodied Hunter Shiraz, I got to cogitating this matter of tank size, or lack thereof. The '10 model, "the original and best"* has a 14.6 litre tank, the '13 model followed this standard.

A previous poster may have been on the money when he opined that this fuel capacity is more than sufficient for the more densely populated parts of our planet but a little bijou when considering the vast and sparse open spaces of the continent, or island if you wish, that make up a good proportion of the wide brown land of OZ. These sweeping plains, devoid of petrol stations or, believe it or not, even 7-Elevens, are often referred to as "The GAFA". Forum Decorum prevents me expanding on that. In fact I recall that when returning from our Mildura ride we rejected a route via Broken Hill due to the possibility of fuel starvation short of our destination. It should be noted by intrepid adventurers unfamiliar with OZ , Rotor for example, that, in remote areas, if prudent precautions are not in place then fuel starvation will almost certainly be followed by bodily starvation. Some tourists, and the occasional foolhardy local, have found this out. The hard way.

However I digress, let's return from reminiscence to regarding the ideal tank size and how to determine that ideal size. And to that end, I recommend that we set up an interdepartmental committee with fairly broad terms of reference so that at the end of the day we'll be in the position to think through the various implications and arrive at a decision based on long-term considerations rather than rush prematurely into precipitate and possibly ill-conceived action which might well have unforeseen repercussions. I think I know just the man to oversee this process.

Cheers mate.

*Hence forth referred to as the O and B
I found a couple of stories about motorcycling in the GAFA. The first one seems to be the right way to do it if you are so inclined. The [url=http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/blogs/dreamtime-australian-outback-burned-under]second is an american going solo. Insane, IMHO.
 
Thread starter
Guys, I'm testing my regular 2013 CB1100 on the current tank. So far I've gone 127 miles, I'm down to the last bar on the gage, and it hasn't started to flash yet. I'll run her til she's empty and start a new thread on my findings. On this tank, I've probably been 80% town, 20% highway/interstate driving, and have "gottin-on-it" at least a half dozen times. My bike has 727 miles on it, but I believe it's fully broken in and will not loosen-up, and get better mileage than I'm currently getting. So if you have a non deluxe, non 6-speed cb1100, right now I'd say you'd be safe to go at least 140 miles if driving conservatively. Stay tuned, I should have all my gas run out by this weekend unless something comes up.
 
Jeff experience on the board says it will continue to loosen up and get better mileage until the 2000 mile mark
 
kmoney_imp said:
I fill it just sitting on the bike with it upright. I find it gets more than when on the side stand. If you fill it till it starts to run up the hole and let it sink down a couple times you can get an extra 500ml or so into it -- I guess we have an air pocket in our tanks...
I think that's intentional. For one thing, it keeps the gas from expanding and spilling out after fueling.

Imagine, for a second. Hot day; you're on a trip of some sort. Noon. You stop for gas and grub.

You want to fill the tank as full as you can. So you hold the machine upright and drbble in all you can.

All that COLD GASOLINE. From the underground tank, into the cycle tank.

SUSPENDED over the hot engine.

Parked in the sun. While you're taking your leisurly time over lunch.

That gas is gonna warm up - and WILL expand. And if there's no air bubble, it will force out through the seal on the cap.

Over the side of the tank, and then onto the cylinder head of the engine! What if it's still hot enough to get the gas or fumes to the flash point?
 
The ferret_imp said:
Jeff experience on the board says it will continue to loosen up and get better mileage until the 2000 mile mark
That's true. I consistently get better economy now than I did in the first 15000kms. I sometimes wonder if it is better throttle control when feeling very at home on the bike. Maybe, maybe just engine function.

Cheers
And JPT, I can't see your video.

Cheers
 
Back
Top