What's the prognosis doc?

misterprofessionality

Road warrior
Thread starter
this didn't happen today, but i've been too busy to post:

Got sideswiped in my neighborhood by an SUV. She swerved a hard right right into the left side of my CB, crushed my ankle (the shifter punctured my ankle actually, quite a few stitches), bent my shifter underneath the bike, cracked my crank case cover, and then proceeded to rail at me as if it was my fault. she had the nerve to get out of her vehicle, look at me with my shoe filling up with blood and say "oh, did you hurt yourself?" I swear, people incite me to murder :@.

Service has not yet begun on the bike, but I may ask for everybody's advice on what they think about the severity of the damage. if the crank case cover takes enough of a hit to crack it and leak oil, is the damage likely confined only to the crank case cover or is it likely i have deeper issues?

that's the best picture i could grab anyway. the puddle underneath is oil.
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
this didn't happen today, but i've been too busy to post:

Got sideswiped in my neighborhood by an SUV. She swerved a hard right right into the left side of my CB, crushed my ankle (the shifter punctured my ankle actually, quite a few stitches), bent my shifter underneath the bike, cracked my crank case cover, and then proceeded to rail at me as if it was my fault. she had the nerve to get out of her vehicle, look at me with my shoe filling up with blood and say "oh, did you hurt yourself?" I swear, people incite me to murder :@.

Service has not yet begun on the bike, but I may ask for everybody's advice on what they think about the severity of the damage. if the crank case cover takes enough of a hit to crack it and leak oil, is the damage likely confined only to the crank case cover or is it likely i have deeper issues?

that's the best picture i could grab anyway. the puddle underneath is oil.
Awww man!!! :@ What do they say, most 'accidents happen within so many miles from home? Hope you heal quickly, and I hope she's got good insurance. Your bike needs a full going over by an expert. Not only is the crank case suspect, the frame could be bent also. Hope this comes out in the best way for you!
 
Thread starter
initial quotes from the insurance-reccomended mechanic say that the frame was not bent, so I don't feel worried about that. near as i can see, there's no cracks or anything on the underside of the crank case itself. the oil leak seems to be coming solely from that crack. my front forks didn't make contact with anything, and i was even able to keep the bike upright after the impact. i have high hopes, but i'm also scared as well. internal engine issues could easily total bike, even if it's this new. I don't ever want to give up my CB.
 
MrP, that’s rotten news. I’m so sorry. I hope your ankle and any other bits that hurt mend quickly.

You’ll have to rely on the advice of the experts, but it doesn’t sound like a horrendous impact if you were able to hold the bike up.

The most important thing is that you’re OK. Bikes can be replaced.
 
Thread starter
well, thanks cor, but i'm not confident that mine can be replaced if it gets totaled. they might pay out my value and all, but i seriously doubt i'll be able to find a new '14 again without paying a whole lot of extra money. basically, if my CB gets totalled, i might never be able to get a CB again, because i can't pay full price for one.
 
So sorry to hear this. If she insists the accident was your fault, and her insurance company agrees, you may have to take her to court to recover your damages. If so, you may want to keep your public discussion of events (including posts on this forum) to a minimum.
 
Hope you get better fast!

Personally I doubt much happened other than the cover is broken. You aren’t the first to have that happen. The alternator rotor is behind there and the mechanic will be able to tell if it is damaged. I doubt it is though from the picture. A new one is not very expensive.
 
Well that's not good. Best of luck MP with healing, motorcycle repair and insurance issues.
 
I can’t see the pics because I am on my phone at a restaurant - but I may have whatever cover is broke for you.

If I ever get hit by some cuss in a car I will have charges filed while I am on my way to the hospital. No way I’m letting that slide.

Hope you feel better soon!

What boots were you wearing?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Pretty good actually, like popgun says no internal damage has been done, thanks for the photo.
All you need is a new gasket, some gasket sealant and a new cover, the alternator stator can be retrieved by unbolting it from the old cover and mounting it to the new engine cover, here is a link to e-bay to give you some idea what's inside the cover.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-Genu...2937765493&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Most of the oil has been retained so no damage has occurred inside the engine.

Reading all these reports helps me to adjust my distance to the other road users, as far as i am concerned if i pull over and stop for a minute or so to avoid a situation that suits me better that a repair job and chasing compensation for weeks, not scared, just more careful as the years go by, watching a scary situation is better than being part of it.
However I am sure you are a good rider and do not need my advice so thanks for the post and very best wishes to you.

max
 
I also think the repair will be fairly easy but the healing and pain not so much.
do agree that in cases like this if murder was a misdemeanor more people would look out for motorcycles ...
good luck
 
Awww, that's nasty. I can imagine how upset you are; on the other hand, the CB doesn't to be damaged a lot. As others have said it should be a relatively easy fix.
And I agree with Cormanus, the important thing is you get well soon (and get back on the bike). Best wishes.
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
well, thanks cor, but i'm not confident that mine can be replaced if it gets totaled. they might pay out my value and all, but i seriously doubt i'll be able to find a new '14 again without paying a whole lot of extra money. basically, if my CB gets totalled, i might never be able to get a CB again, because i can't pay full price for one.
I think it doesn't work that way (at least in Europe):

-you had a bike, and it wasn't your fault.

If it had been your fault, and you had insurance cover on "own damage", they would pay "market value" (what ever they have on their charts, according to model/year etc. Not real market value of your particular bike)

Being someone's elses fault, they have to pay any repair to get your bike back. It can't be "totaled": it will just be more expensive to them. Or they can offer to buy you an equivalent bike IF you accept that. But they can't make you to accept their "market value" price.
 
Glad to hear the damage to yourself was minimal but as has been stated,bikes replaceable. Now,not sure what Country your in but Ive always believed in situations like these where you were not at fault your property must be made whole,as in like it was before the moron tried to kill you and the damage to the bike looks very minor. Get a lawyer,sometimes the only thing people understand is money,why should you be out a dime?Play your cards right you just might get a new CB1100. Be hard nosed with the insurance company and don’t budge an inch. I grew riding but haven’t been a daily rider in over 30 years but that’s about to change,I’m not scared in the least but I am very concerned. One of the challenges will be to get the loudest horn I can put together and yet try to hide it if I can.
 
el duque_imp said:
good advice FLyTym.

+1 on the loud horn.
I’ve got abit of a horn fetish,the louder the better. I’ve got a short video on YouTube on the horn setup I put in one of my cars,if I knew how to post it here I would. On my 750K project I’ve got a set of late model GMC truck horns tucked up in the 1100F fairing,can’t see them at all. I want a horn so loud that if somebody gets stupid,they gonna remember that loud a$$ horn on that motorcycle. Honestly,I’d put train horns
on a motorcycle if I could hide everything.
 
Sorry to hear about your accident, and best wishes for a speedy and full recovery. A woman in an SUV rear ended me at while I was stopped at a stop light in broad daylight last year, so I have a good idea how you feel.

A couple of suggestions: From my experience, I prefer to use a dealership that has a Honda Certified Mechanic for any warranty and/or repair issues. On the Honda web site you can look up all dealers in your area, and each dealer listing will show whether or not they have a Honda Certified Mechanic in house or not. Best guess from info provided, is that the bike probably is not totaled, and odds are it can be put back to new condition

Another member asked what kind of boots you were wearing. Armored motorcycle specific boots may or may not have saved you from injury, or reduced the extent of the injury. That said, feet and ankles are pretty vulnerable, so the investment in armored CE rated boots might be worth considering if you do not already have them.

I always carry my cell phone with me when I ride. Aside from being able to call 911 in the event of an accident or break down, I can take pictures. I the event of an accident, photo damage to all vehicles, license plate numbers, the other driver, insurance cards, DLs, the accident scene, etc. etc.. Pictures come in real handy later on if there is a dispute.
 
FLYTYM_imp said:
el duque_imp said:
good advice FLyTym.

+1 on the loud horn.
I’ve got abit of a horn fetish,the louder the better. I’ve got a short video on YouTube on the horn setup I put in one of my cars,if I knew how to post it here I would. On my 750K project I’ve got a set of late model GMC truck horns tucked up in the 1100F fairing,can’t see them at all. I want a horn so loud that if somebody gets stupid,they gonna remember that loud a$$ horn on that motorcycle. Honestly,I’d put train horns
on a motorcycle if I could hide everything.
Copy the URL of the video and paste it into a post here. That will appear as a link people can select.
 
2017EX_imp said:
Sorry to hear about your accident, and best wishes for a speedy and full recovery. A woman in an SUV rear ended me at while I was stopped at a stop light in broad daylight last year, so I have a good idea how you feel.

A couple of suggestions: From my experience, I prefer to use a dealership that has a Honda Certified Mechanic for any warranty and/or repair issues. On the Honda web site you can look up all dealers in your area, and each dealer listing will show whether or not they have a Honda Certified Mechanic in house or not. Best guess from info provided, is that the bike probably is not totaled, and odds are it can be put back to new condition

Another member asked what kind of boots you were wearing. Armored motorcycle specific boots may or may not have saved you from injury, or reduced the extent of the injury. That said, feet and ankles are pretty vulnerable, so the investment in armored CE rated boots might be worth considering if you do not already have them.

I always carry my cell phone with me when I ride. Aside from being able to call 911 in the event of an accident or break down, I can take pictures. I the event of an accident, photo damage to all vehicles, license plate numbers, the other driver, insurance cards, DLs, the accident scene, etc. etc.. Pictures come in real handy later on if there is a dispute.
Need a like button here, great advice 2017EX!

What's the prognosis on the ankle? That's the important thing. Bikes can be fixed. That being said every accident I've ever had the bike is the first thing I'm thinking of.
 
Back
Top