What replaces the original 180/80R18 Dunlop Sportmax D205 tires

HondaFan_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I have to replace my front tire (original 180/80R18 Dunlop Sportmax D205 tire) on my 2016 CB1100A (see photo) and can't find that particular model online in Canada. Could be obsolete. Someone suggested the Dunlop Sportmax Q3 but it doesn't come in the right size. The Dunlop Roadsmart III does. Anyone have information on which Dunlop tire replaces the original?[attachment=13238]
 
Even then it’s too big, I think. 110/80 on the front?

HondaFan, tyres for this bike are a problem. Every time you find a good one it vanishes! Dunlop Roadsmart, Bridgestone T31, BT45 and 46 (both bias ply), Metzler Z8, Pirelli Sport Demon (bias ply) can be had in the stock sizes—110/80 and 140/70. Avon and Continental also make tyres that fit, I think. People—me included—have run 160/60 on the rear with good results and there’s a 120/something that people have run on the front and been happy.
 
I know others will disagree with me in regards to what is "preferred" "optimal" and "functional", BUT

I ditched the original Dunlops that came with the bike in favor of Pirelli's(AngelGT) in 120F/160R sizes, and I can tell you that I wouldn't run OEM sizes ever again, unless maybe I got the tires for free. Maybe.

To each their own though, good luck finding the tires you're after since supply chain disruptions have made some tires harder to find
 
HondaFan_imp said:
I have to replace my front tire (original 180/80R18 Dunlop Sportmax D205 tire) on my 2016 CB1100A (see photo) and can't find that particular model online in Canada. Could be obsolete. Someone suggested the Dunlop Sportmax Q3 but it doesn't come in the right size. The Dunlop Roadsmart III does. Anyone have information on which Dunlop tire replaces the original?[attachment=13238]
The front shows availability, but the rear is out of stock everywhere.

Front
Honda 44711-MGC-024 TIRE, FR. (110/80R18 M/C 58V) (DUNLOP) - RevZilla

Rear
Honda 42711-MGC-024 TIRE, RR. - RevZilla

I find it strange that a bike so new would have the tires go discontinued when you can still purchase Dunlop K505's for the 91-2003 750 Nighthawks.
 
I recently fitted a couple of Dunlop Arrowmax GT601s to mine. Rear is 150/70/18 and the front is 110/90/18.Front profile is a bit high but it fitted under the guard ok.
 
E11even_Hunnit_imp said:
I know others will disagree with me in regards to what is "preferred" "optimal" and "functional", BUT

I ditched the original Dunlops that came with the bike in favor of Pirelli's(AngelGT) in 120F/160R sizes, and I can tell you that I wouldn't run OEM sizes ever again, unless maybe I got the tires for free. Maybe.

To each their own though, good luck finding the tires you're after since supply chain disruptions have made some tires harder to find
I did the same exact thing; the Pirelli Angel GTs are awesome on this bike. :thumbsup:
 
I'm also running the Pirelli Angel GT's in 120/160 combo. Love them in the dry. In the wet they are not as confidence inspiring as my previous Michelin PR3's. Not awful though.

Can't tell about mileage yet, but doubt they will last as long as the Michelins.

I would buy the Pirelli GT's again.
 
Me too, same size as Ferret. LOVE them so much I have them on both bikes. Different sizes on the ST, obviously.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I'm also running the Pirelli Angel GT's in 120/160 combo. Love them in the dry. In the wet they are not as confidence inspiring as my previous Michelin PR3's. Not awful though.

Can't tell about mileage yet, but doubt they will last as long as the Michelins.

I would buy the Pirelli GT's again.
@ferret
Allow me to ask, what makes a tire for you inspire confidence in wet or dry ? I can feel that a new tire is better than the one just wasted ... for a short while. But in dry conditions I wouldn't want to push the CB into speeds or lean angle where grip becomes marginal, and in wet even less. So, unless you are racing your CB, under what reproducible circumstances can a guy like me judge one tire versus another, or get confident.
Forgive me if this sounds smart aleck, it's not meant this way. I just like to understand these words so often used by riders.
 
No, I understand. If you rarely ride in the rain, chances are you will never be confident in your tires on a wet surface. Mentally it's hard to think about riding normally when you see a wet surface. It looks slippery. And that's good, because if you are not used to it, you should be very cautious, reduce speeds and stay as upright as possible, and leave extra braking space.

But if you ride in rain a lot, like I do, tens of thousands of miles in the rain over the last 55 years, then it just becomes just another ride,. By riding, you learn to either trust your tires or not depending on the amount of slip you feel. On the Michelin PR3s I felt confident riding close to normal speeds, even thru turns in the rain. They dispersed rain water really well, and still felt grippy at normal lean angles for me. The Angel GTs seem to slip more, so they have not inspired the confidence that I felt with the PR3s.

Watch a MotoGP rain race sometime and you will see guys that have learned to trust their tires.

In the dry I would rate the tires equally giving me confidence in both tires.
 
Not sure about different countries obviously but here in the UK I’m 99.9% sure that going outside of OEM tyre sizes on your bike will invalidate insurance, instantly. I have on maybe 3 or 4 occasions changed perfectly good looking tyres due to age alone, on low mileage new to me bikes that I’ve bought (for piece of mind), but never ridden hard enough to trouble any new tyre.
 
@ferret: that makes indeed a lot of sense. Would you remember how happy you were with the original Dunlops on the CB ? I do still have a good pair mounted which might make another 4000 miles. before retirement Would you trust them in rain ?

@Jfro: What you say about insurance is interesting. Let me add my 2 bit. In most places of continental Europe you have to ride the size referenced in your papers, but it's fairly easy to get another size added to the papers during the annual DOT inspection. More tricky in France I think because France does not (yet ?) have DOT inspections for motorcycles at all. So there is nobody to sign off on a different tire size. Whether the insurers in France care in case of an accident I don't know. May be one of our french CB owners knows more ?
 
j3gq - what Jfro5687 is referencing is the common practice, at least in this part of the world, of insurance assessors inspecting your vehicle after an accident for non-standard components to wriggle out of, or to reduce a claim, in the case of right-off or personel injury.
 
j3gq_imp said:
@ferret: that makes indeed a lot of sense. Would you remember how happy you were with the original Dunlops on the CB ? I do still have a good pair mounted which might make another 4000 miles. before retirement Would you trust them in rain ?

@Jfro: What you say about insurance is interesting. Let me add my 2 bit. In most places of continental Europe you have to ride the size referenced in your papers, but it's fairly easy to get another size added to the papers during the annual DOT inspection. More tricky in France I think because France does not (yet ?) have DOT inspections for motorcycles at all. So there is nobody to sign off on a different tire size. Whether the insurers in France care in case of an accident I don't know. May be one of our french CB owners knows more ?
To tell you the truth I cant remember. I remember being happy with them in the dry, and that I ran them to the edges, but I knew the Michelins were better than the original spec Dunlops. I think I would run the oe spec Dunlops again, if nothing else were available.

Right now I would rank the Michelins 1st, the Pirelli GTs 2nd and the Dunops third as far as my personal experience.
 
Back
Top