What motorcycle would you buy next?

1985CB450_imp said:
Ollie_imp said:
2012 with the 103 is a nice Street Glide.
I'm Harleyless for the first time since 2004 having sold my Road King to buy a Goldwing.
Thanks and hey that’s a heck of a trade up going to a goldwing. If I did a lot of highway miles that would probably be my bike of choice. My first ride on a m/c was on a goldwing. I was around twelve (1977) and by my cousins house when his neighbor pulled his wing out to wash. After it was clean he gave us all rides - imagine that today without talking to any parents?
Jgarciajr40_imp said:
Never really cared for Harley’s. They always scream boomer bike with obnoxious pipes to me. I do like the v-rod and if I had the money I’d buy the Pan-America. Their normal line up imo is just ehh.

They don’t want my generation buying their products imo.
They are a traditional company and old traditions die hard. Who else would design a new 4 valve head and keep the pushrods?

I live in Dallas, one of the most pretentious city’s in the US so yes we have our share of what we call Rolex riders. Midlife crisis new biker with the H-D tattoo, wallet, boots and 3x5’ H-D sticker on the back of his Lexus SUV. Easy to spot so easy to avoid, it’s a shame they gravitate towards the H-D brand but hey they usually wind up supplying the used bike market with a lot of low mile examples with every gadget imaginable so no need to hate on them…

As far as the bikes, hey I would not wanna ride across the US on one, that’s what Honda’s and BMW’s are for. For cruising around town with your lady they are pretty cool. Low and slow kinda like driving a ‘57 Chevy vs say a GTR. For me as I’ve aged I’ve learned to just appreciate each machine for what it actually is and enjoy the ride.
:thumbsup: :clap:
 
Well, it's been a while since I've been on the forum,, so this is an update on the stable.
What motorcycle would I buy next? In July of '21 I brought a 2015 VFR 800 Dlx home, it only had 353 miles on it. That's the first reason, the second is that I had a '99 VFR, missed it enough to get another.

Then in late November, '21 I brought a '21 Honda CB1000R Black Edition home. Just because I had the "hots" for one.

And I let my two old 850 T3 Guzzis go this year.

Now I have a fast bike with the CB1100EX.

I have a very fast bike with the VFR.

And with the CB1000R, I have a bike that is STOOPID FAST!!
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Ollie_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Billie_imp said:
Currently riding a 2020 HD FXLR (my touring bike) plus my 2014 CB1100. Keeping the CB for around town bike.
Currently nothing in HD's line-up excites me much, we'll see what they come up with a few yrs from now.
Generally not a fan of HD, however next Monday or Tuesday I will be bringing up a 2003 VRSCA-VRod from its two year slumber. I expect a dead battery, flat tires, and very likely stale high-test gasoline. I think this could be exciting. Maybe I'll ride it too.
You can probably add brake fluid (careful it may be DOT 5) and coolant to flush out. Sounds like a cool bike is it yours?
Nooooo, not mine. Will update as I discover more.
Nooooo, not mine. Will update as I discover more.
I took the 2003 100th Anniversary Harley Davidson VRod out for a spin this morning. No photos or video until later some time. I am in a remote region.

Stored for two years. Battery weak, but I tendered it back to useable health. Tires were flat, but pressure added. I used the original two year old gasoline in the tank. Tank was full and tests appeared to indicate "okay". Probably high test fuel.

The Porsche engine fired up on the first try and idled smoothly.

The VRod feels like typical solid HD metal. Seat was comfortable and engine was surprisingly smooth. The gearbox and clutch were very smooth. Incredible, actually.

Pickup was nice, but I felt the Honda CB1100 and Africa Twin would leave this beast behind. However, this beast is something to look at and feel.

Later for now.
 
My understanding is that engine and drivetrain in general is durable as heck. A friend bought one new a few years after the VRods came out. He didn't mind that it made its HP up in the rev range but most traditional Harley owners did. He was bothered that it only delivered around 35 mpg and it had troublesome fueling off idle and at lower rpm. A Power Commander remedied the lean fueling but MPG then dropped to high 20's to low 30's. He was short with bad knees that he couldn't keep bent for any length of time so the feet forward riding position worked for him. I never rode it but just sitting on the thing I could tell I wouldn't be comfortable at all like that.
Harley brought out a Street Rod version mostly for Europe with the seat raised up on top of a larger fuel tank, pegs moved back, lower bars, and reduced rake. I'd like to stumble upon a nice one for sale.
 
hornet 750

The more I walk around it, the more I start to brood

......I reach the ground with all my feet with my short 173cm....
people who have already ridden it say: power at low revs as well as at high speeds...and very handy and agil...very smooth motor
 
While waiting at a Honda dealer for tires replacement, I had a friendly chat with a salesperson and asked him about GB750 and Hawk1100 availability on the Canadian market.... and make a long story short, his answer was: we do not know or hear anything about it...you'll be very lucky if you have your question answered during upcoming this weekend moto show in Toronto. Good luck
 
Sure looks like they are trying the same tactic that yamaha did with the SCR950/bolt/bolt r-spec/bolt c-spec.
Change a few things on a single platform and sell the hell out of it.
 
i like the design and i like the engine...drove it last autumn for a longer testloop with a rebel 500 ....only the ergonomic of the rebel is not realy my thing
 
Ollie_imp said:
My understanding is that engine and drivetrain in general is durable as heck. A friend bought one new a few years after the VRods came out. He didn't mind that it made its HP up in the rev range but most traditional Harley owners did. He was bothered that it only delivered around 35 mpg and it had troublesome fueling off idle and at lower rpm. A Power Commander remedied the lean fueling but MPG then dropped to high 20's to low 30's. He was short with bad knees that he couldn't keep bent for any length of time so the feet forward riding position worked for him. I never rode it but just sitting on the thing I could tell I wouldn't be comfortable at all like that.
Harley brought out a Street Rod version mostly for Europe with the seat raised up on top of a larger fuel tank, pegs moved back, lower bars, and reduced rake. I'd like to stumble upon a nice one for sale.
Yeah, I can see fuel economy not being great on these.

I do like the forward controls as the legs get nice 'n' stretched out. Not sure about the back over a long period of time for me.
 
The ferret_imp said:
If they were 50% off I'd have one in the garage now for playing with lol
We are used to vehicles being cheap, and any one model getting cheaper over time ... until now. Simply economies of scale and more and more concentration on the producer's side.
Electric is different as no mining operations can't put up with demand. Electric will only get more expensive.

If you need to switch, don't wait for a 50% off sail, but rather invest in XME.
 
Haggard Rider_imp said:
Well, that question has already been answered for me!

In true 'best laid plans...' style, I have had to say goodbye my CB1100RS. It was on a PCP agreement (low monthly payments, ballon payment at the end) and my intent had always been to pay the balloon at the end of the PCP and keep it. However, the money that was put to one side and earmarked for this has had to be used elsewhere and with just 18mths left on the agreement, finding the balloon payment afresh would not be feasible.

So, a rethink... with no realistic chance of keeping the RS, I decided (with financial advice and guidance from SWMBO) to sell the RS, which would hopefully generate a little profit over the PCP payback needed, and a spare GoPro, the parts from a gaming desktop PC and some other stuff and see if I could afford to buy another, albeit much cheaper, bike, anything that would keep me riding but buy it without use of any loans or a PCP.

Selling the RS actually brought in a surprisingly large windfall, way more than I was expecting, so, together with the money from the other bits and bobs I sold, I have, very luckily, been able to buy this....



... a 2010 CBF1000 in a very sparkly black. Bought, with just shy of 27k miles on the clock, as a trade-only deal (aka cheap and no warranty or come-back) but actually in very decent condition. Very happy with it, I must say.

Seems heavier moving it around the garage but lighter on the road than the RS, it's certainly got more 'get up and go' but that's mainly due to the gearing I reckon, and a more comfortable seat (for me).

It's also the black bike I was never going to buy!
Love that engine...
dac5cede34b134ba2884c30b42811182.jpg


My one and only complaint about this CB1000R is that it's a bit cramped for me. I'd have bought the F model if they were available in the states.
 
1985CB450_imp said:
Ollie_imp said:
2012 with the 103 is a nice Street Glide.
I'm Harleyless for the first time since 2004 having sold my Road King to buy a Goldwing.
Thanks and hey that’s a heck of a trade up going to a goldwing. If I did a lot of highway miles that would probably be my bike of choice. My first ride on a m/c was on a goldwing. I was around twelve (1977) and by my cousins house when his neighbor pulled his wing out to wash. After it was clean he gave us all rides - imagine that today without talking to any parents?
Jgarciajr40_imp said:
Never really cared for Harley’s. They always scream boomer bike with obnoxious pipes to me. I do like the v-rod and if I had the money I’d buy the Pan-America. Their normal line up imo is just ehh.

They don’t want my generation buying their products imo.
They are a traditional company and old traditions die hard. Who else would design a new 4 valve head and keep the pushrods?

I live in Dallas, one of the most pretentious city’s in the US so yes we have our share of what we call Rolex riders. Midlife crisis new biker with the H-D tattoo, wallet, boots and 3x5’ H-D sticker on the back of his Lexus SUV. Easy to spot so easy to avoid, it’s a shame they gravitate towards the H-D brand but hey they usually wind up supplying the used bike market with a lot of low mile examples with every gadget imaginable so no need to hate on them…

As far as the bikes, hey I would not wanna ride across the US on one, that’s what Honda’s and BMW’s are for. For cruising around town with your lady they are pretty cool. Low and slow kinda like driving a ‘57 Chevy vs say a GTR. For me as I’ve aged I’ve learned to just appreciate each machine for what it actually is and enjoy the ride.
Thanks and hey that’s a heck of a trade up going to a goldwing. If I did a lot of highway miles that would probably be my bike of choice. My first ride on a m/c was on a goldwing. I was around twelve (1977) and by my cousins house when his neighbor pulled his wing out to wash. After it was clean he gave us all rides - imagine that today without talking to any parents?
Jgarciajr40_imp said:
Never really cared for Harley’s. They always scream boomer bike with obnoxious pipes to me. I do like the v-rod and if I had the money I’d buy the Pan-America. Their normal line up imo is just ehh.

They don’t want my generation buying their products imo.
They are a traditional company and old traditions die hard. Who else would design a new 4 valve head and keep the pushrods?

I live in Dallas, one of the most pretentious city’s in the US so yes we have our share of what we call Rolex riders. Midlife crisis new biker with the H-D tattoo, wallet, boots and 3x5’ H-D sticker on the back of his Lexus SUV. Easy to spot so easy to avoid, it’s a shame they gravitate towards the H-D brand but hey they usually wind up supplying the used bike market with a lot of low mile examples with every gadget imaginable so no need to hate on them…

As far as the bikes, hey I would not wanna ride across the US on one, that’s what Honda’s and BMW’s are for. For cruising around town with your lady they are pretty cool. Low and slow kinda like driving a ‘57 Chevy vs say a GTR. For me as I’ve aged I’ve learned to just appreciate each machine for what it actually is and enjoy the ride.
My 2020 Low Rider is a highway mile munching machine, thousands of miles on trips out west are far as Washington St, longest day 883 mi easy peezy.
Smooth as silk running down the highway.
 
Willmarth_imp said:
Haggard Rider_imp said:
Well, that question has already been answered for me!

In true 'best laid plans...' style, I have had to say goodbye my CB1100RS. It was on a PCP agreement (low monthly payments, ballon payment at the end) and my intent had always been to pay the balloon at the end of the PCP and keep it. However, the money that was put to one side and earmarked for this has had to be used elsewhere and with just 18mths left on the agreement, finding the balloon payment afresh would not be feasible.

So, a rethink... with no realistic chance of keeping the RS, I decided (with financial advice and guidance from SWMBO) to sell the RS, which would hopefully generate a little profit over the PCP payback needed, and a spare GoPro, the parts from a gaming desktop PC and some other stuff and see if I could afford to buy another, albeit much cheaper, bike, anything that would keep me riding but buy it without use of any loans or a PCP.

Selling the RS actually brought in a surprisingly large windfall, way more than I was expecting, so, together with the money from the other bits and bobs I sold, I have, very luckily, been able to buy this....



... a 2010 CBF1000 in a very sparkly black. Bought, with just shy of 27k miles on the clock, as a trade-only deal (aka cheap and no warranty or come-back) but actually in very decent condition. Very happy with it, I must say.

Seems heavier moving it around the garage but lighter on the road than the RS, it's certainly got more 'get up and go' but that's mainly due to the gearing I reckon, and a more comfortable seat (for me).

It's also the black bike I was never going to buy!
Love that engine...
dac5cede34b134ba2884c30b42811182.jpg


My one and only complaint about this CB1000R is that it's a bit cramped for me. I'd have bought the F model if they were available in the states.
Nonetheless, a good lookin' machine.

I cannot fit on those myself. Not sure if I ever could for more than 20 minutes.
 
Not in the market, especially as I bought my Enfield a month ago. But on Saturday, while running around doing errands in Mom's neighborhood, I passed by two dealerships I never get to check out. One had nothing but dirt bikes and side-by-sides, but the other acutally had a few street bikes on the floor - sort of rare these days.

In particular, they had three Kawasaki Z650RS models, in three different colors. I had wanted to see a green/gold bike since the press photos came out, and there it was. Gorgeous bike, and after sitting on it for a few minutes, I figured it would be more than comfortable.

But, the bottom number on the price tag was 11 grand. Ouch. Oh well, never hurts to look, and the spirit of this thread is what would you buy next, right? Well, I would buy this one. But, I paid well under half of that number for my new bike, so...
 
The local dealer had one on the floor maybe 6-7 months back. I thought it looked like a fairly nice retro given it only had a 2-cylinder rather than the 4-cylinder bike it was paying homage to. But like Kawasaki's Z900RS (and unlike the CB1100) they just didn't get the styling quite right. The tank is a little too fat, too much space above the rear tire, stubby exhaust looks out of place, tires too small and fat, and the small chopped fenders. IIRC it was priced about $9,500 which even the salesman felt was too much. But it must have sold because it's no longer there.
 
Ollie, to your point, I'm wondering how the Z650RS is selling. Is it a perfect retro? No, but I like the bike as a whole. But, they had three of them sitting there, next to one Z900RS root beer/orange.

I asked the salesman if they had just gotten them in. He said no, this was the last of a shipment a while back. A few guys were interested in the 900 and he was waiting for one to show up, but the three 650s had been sitting for some time, apparently.
 
Back
Top