What motorcycle would you buy next?

My next bike will probably be a non-fuel injected Sportster. They are fun to work on and ride and have that sound that is like a very old radial aircraft engine. There is a '79 Kawasaki KZ750 vertical twin in the Phoenix Craigslist that is very much like the first bike I owned for only $3000. Of course that bike sold for around $1000 new, but inflation happened. It would be a great bike to have too. Amazing how much it looks like the CB1100.
 
Jgarciajr40_imp said:
I just feel Honda shouldn’t have omitting that.
It is a beef with many Africa Twin owners who feel the same.

In it absence, rationalization seems to be:

* Ground clearance is at its best,
* Minimizes weight to an already hefty bike,
* Minimizes base cost to an already hefty sticker price.
 
peterbaron_imp said:
KiowaEagle_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
'79 Kawasaki KZ750 :thumbsup::thumbsup:
I had an '81....loved that bike!
I had an '81....loved that bike!
quote]

U never have bad bikes as far as I remember
I had an '81....loved that bike!
quote]

U never have bad bikes as far as I remember
Never had a bad one but there have definitely been some I liked more than others. That KZ750 was one of them. :banana:
 
In kicking around this subject, the idea of an older, classic bike has rummaged through my mind. After all, it would be a third bike to accompany the CB and the Triumph (assuming I sell the 300). But, my life is too busy to fiddle... easy maintenance and riding would be my requirements.
 
At the time I had my KZ 750 I didn't have anything I could compare it to, so it seemed perfect to me. It was not heavy, seemed to have a low center of gravity, the parallel twin engine was strong enough to carry me and my wife at very high speeds and was just a generally fun and forgivable machine. And it looked good, too. Hard to live up to and I have had a few bikes that cost a lot more and were not nearly as good.
 
I would have either of these two bikes next if they were available. When I owned a Suzuki 250X7 in 1980 I lusted after two Suzuki's. The often disliked Suzuki GS1100E, the oddball front end appealed to me just because it was so awful. Secondly the GS1000S, aka the Wes Cooley replica with the olde two valve 997cc engine.

Both bikes were so far out of my reach in terms of money and skillsets of course. I had left school at 16 and was an Engineering Apprentice living away from home in digs. I purchased my X7 on my 17th birthday and my loan payments were half of my monthly salary of £119. I could barely afford to put petrol in the flaming thing but I needed two wheels bad!



 
These are my buddy's Suzies in mint condition, ridden daily, and I think the blue one was for sale.
Will see him next month.

9af53d5962eedabe1e6ea0da9b62afef.jpg


92b81a22d2eb75c4a9577760098aa263.jpg
 
I could recognize those lines in my sleep. Loved that bike. Had a bar-mounted fairing on it and had a bad death wobble at about warp-one, one night. Managed to get it slowed down using only the rear brake gently and got rid of that fairing. Put a Honda fairing like the one on the touring CBX. My buddy welded up a bracket coming straight off the steering head. He was an old Navy vet and that bracket could have held a battle-ship. My friends called it a "Honda-uki" after that.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
In kicking around this subject, the idea of an older, classic bike has rummaged through my mind. After all, it would be a third bike to accompany the CB and the Triumph (assuming I sell the 300). But, my life is too busy to fiddle... easy maintenance and riding would be my requirements.
Going far out on a limb, there are these. You'd be maybe the first on your "block" if they come to California:

Peugeot launches first full-size motorcycle
 
I dunno, GO, that first one looks quite a bit like what I have now.

Paging down, they mention the new BSA. I'd need to see a dealer in my area before I'd be comfortable. I have a RE dealer nearby.

But, a few things are in play here... Mrs. Gone's suspicions are elevated at the possibility of me wanting to trade her "Little Blue" for something else. She's been telling me over the past few days how much she likes it (even though she's never ridden). She just thinks it's "cuter than your other bikes" and likes seeing it in the garage.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
I dunno, GO, that first one looks quite a bit like what I have now.

Paging down, they mention the new BSA. I'd need to see a dealer in my area before I'd be comfortable. I have a RE dealer nearby.

But, a few things are in play here... Mrs. Gone's suspicions are elevated at the possibility of me wanting to trade her "Little Blue" for something else. She's been telling me over the past few days how much she likes it (even though she's never ridden). She just thinks it's "cuter than your other bikes" and likes seeing it in the garage.
Sounds like she's a gawker Gone.

You can gawk together in the garage over some stubby bottled beer. :)

Life can be truly good!
 
I kinda want the Honda trail, but think I’m too fat for 125cc.

@ 250lbs I want 250cc minimum and the ability to hit 60-65.
Just love the Honda trail style
 
Jgarciajr40_imp said:
I kinda want the Honda trail, but think I’m too fat for 125cc.

@ 250lbs I want 250cc minimum and the ability to hit 60-65.
Just love the Honda trail style
They (many, that is) say the smaller bikes are the most fun.
 
Back
Top