What does the OEM collector look like?

kDiqq_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
This.

Threw the O2 sensor in as a reference. Finally got that pesky cat out. Turns out the factory collector isn't that nice haha but I now have a much better flowing header made of quality materials! Going to weld it back together today. I cut along the rear seam so I'm hoping it looks factory. If it doesn't though, I have a spare header that's going right back on. If it turns out nice, hey, who would like a better flowing header for cheap?! :P thought you guys might want a look inside this bad boy. Enjoy!
 
Wow is that the mentioned valve way in there? Thanks for posting!
Wow is that the mentioned valve way in there? Thanks for posting!
Also put me on the waiting list.
 
Thread starter
Haha I obliterated the cat getting it out. Had to drill several holes and chisel away from the edge... No good... But I finished! And I have loads of media! So this is my first time welding stainless with trimix. Turned out awesome except, despite the material being relatively thick, I burned through it FAST. Went to an overlay tack method and it went dandy. I haven't eaten yet so my hand was a bit shakey. Overall I'm very pleased considering there is no more garbage in my exhaust and I get to keep my pretty header! OEM muffler bolted right up. With stock muffler there is near zero sound difference. Just at idle its more burbley. The top end is LIT UP though. Took me by surprise, I grabbed second and popped the front wheel off the ground ha! Can't wait to feel it with the Arrow muffler on. So far, best free mod yet :D on with the pic!


And of course...

If anyone is interested in having this done to their header, I'm more than happy to entertain helping. I promise you'll get a better weld now that I know it burns ;)
 
Sounds so mean open header!!! Man if i was in Texas we'd be doing two of these today. Time to find a local shop that can fix my exhaust that fell into two pieces... hey wait I'm sending a pm. Lol
 
Thread starter
You got it! I'm answering PMs as quick as I can. Before I set a price, I'm gonna get the spare header in and modify it so it's ready to go out. Hoping to get good use out of all this stainless welding wire I got haha!

Here is the video with stock muffler. Again, it's just a bit deeper but my phones audio messes up a few times. This is seriously a great mod! Up on power, no difference in cruising noise but a meatier idle. I imagine with a slip on it's far louder and deeper.

YouTube
 
You're right doesn't sound much different than stock. So what is the advantage of losing the cat?
 
Thread starter
Well, for one, flow. The bike feels much stronger! Like I said, it will pop the wheel up on the 1-2 shift if I hit it hard. Which is new haha! But for me, it's going to be the sound difference when the Arrow slip-on that I ordered goes on next week.

Opens a lot of options up in terms of noise. If far throatier without the cat (at least when the muffler is removed) and I expect it to be nicer once the Arrow goes on. It's a super cheap alternative to an aftermarket header with no cat and offers MUCH higher build quality with better materials. I didn't like any of the headers, so I made mine as good as possible! :)
 
Thread starter
Yes! Mileage is unchanged. But my riding style varies widely. More to the point, it's not vastly improved nor gotten worse.
 
Thread starter
Got the Arrow on today, db killer removed. Holy cow. The tone is perfect, volume isn't bad at all. I love it so much. With the decat header and Arrow slip on, I was able to do full exhaust for less than half a Yoshi and now others can replicate the results for still much less than a Yoshi! Or any other full exhaust... Will work on a video soon !
 
Is that a wire mesh? How big of a wad of that stuff is in there? Like a 3" x 4" roll?
 
Thread starter
Think of corrugated cardboard, rolled up. Its almost the entire length between the O2 sensor to where the header reduces. It's a pretty long piece.
 
Thread starter
It only works by contacting exhaust gas... So I guess by design it has to be restrictive... Kinda wild to see though.
 
Back
Top