What does each bar on the fuel gauge represent? Miles or fractions of gas?

Fill the tank to the point described in the owners manual then siphon the tank and see what that measures. Next person to take their tank off could do this. Shouldn't take no more than an hour.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Deanohh_imp said:
It wouldn't do much good for the gage to tell you when you were really totally empty. By then you would have run out of gas.
:rofl:

I've always wondered if when they, they being Honda, measure tank capacity.... if it is with the pump/sending unit included or completely void of anything in the tank and would be less with the fuel pump/sending unit in there.

I think someone on this board put in over 3 1/2 gals but don't remember reading about anyone who ran out of gas and then measured how much they put back in to fill it up.

I went 180 miles (before chickening out) on my way to empty but if memory serves me I was only able to put in 3.3gals.. theoretically leaving .6 gal still left in the tank.
That may have been me. I've put in 3.6 gallons on two occasions. Both times there was still a bit of fuel sloshing around in the bottom of the tank, but not much.
 
kenfyoozed_imp said:
Fill the tank to the point described in the owners manual then siphon the tank and see what that measures. Next person to take their tank off could do this. Shouldn't take no more than an hour.
but will the fuel pump pump it all out? Should start it up and run it til engine dies. Any gas left in after that doesn't count.Then precisely measure what goes back in until filled to bottom of filler neck.
 
We need a volunteer...anybody?
 
Thread starter
I still say someone with that fancy case on their bike fill up full, ride until you run out of fuel then take a one gallon can out of that case and get yourself to the next gas station. Then report back here your mileage and how much gas you put in.

Do if before you start you know you have a full tank how far can you go? How far can you go on the flashing fill me up indicator before running out of gas?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
The EFI system has to be pressurized with fuel. After it's run dry and refilled, you should turn the key on and let the pump repressurize the system before trying to start it. It'll probably take a little longer than normal to purge the air from the system.
 
Got snow at my house, April of 1996. That would be northern Phoenix. Getting down to freezing the last few nights; locals are whining up a storm! On topic, I fear I'll find out by accident. :P
 
The ferret_imp said:
Deanohh_imp said:
It wouldn't do much good for the gage to tell you when you were really totally empty. By then you would have run out of gas.
:rofl:

I've always wondered if when they, they being Honda, measure tank capacity.... if it is with the pump/sending unit included or completely void of anything in the tank and would be less with the fuel pump/sending unit in there.

I think someone on this board put in over 3 1/2 gals but don't remember reading about anyone who ran out of gas and then measured how much they put back in to fill it up.

I went 180 miles (before chickening out) on my way to empty but if memory serves me I was only able to put in 3.3gals.. theoretically leaving .6 gal still left in the tank.
I put in 3.954 gallons, but that was done by topping it off and letting it settle down a few times. Here's the old thread. http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1176 Note that the silly filly game is not without risk to the emissions system and is not recommended.

Since then, I've run it dry, that is, the engine died while idling at a light on level ground, with a gas station in sight, about two blocks away. I rocked the bike and was able to restart and sputter to the station for a fill. From memory, it took about 3.6 gallons, but I didn't play the silly filly game, either.

I don't know what anyone could or should conclude from that, but that's what happened and I thought I'd share it.
 
Oh yea Rolls, I remember that thread. Any long term issues with over filling your bike? Do you still do it?

I didn't remember popgun filling a dry tank and it tanking 3.5 or 3.6 gallons.
 
No issues noted to date. I'm more conservative on the filling procedure, though, after reading from another poster that a magazine guy caused a problem with the emissions system attributed to overfilling. I'll take it to near the top of the tank and let it settle maybe once or twice, tops.

I always fill straddling the bike, so my fills might possibly differ a bit from a fill with the bike on the side stand.

I was a little worried after running it dry that it might require some funky procedure to prime the high pressure fuel pump required for the EFI, but it was a non-issue. Like flyinrider said, I just gave it a second after key on to pressurize and I was on the road again without a hitch.
 
Ferret,

I did try to start filling the dry tank to see how much it took to make each bar go on. For various reasons, it didn't got exactly like I hoped. I did keep a record of what I got, but it is not perfect. Maybe I'll try it again some day.

If I can find the paper with the numbers, I'll send them to you and you can decide if the info is any value what so ever. And right now I don't remember how much the tank held (filled to the bottom of the filler neck).

And no problem with fuel pressurization. Just turn on the key and wait for the test and pump to stop. Started right up.
 
meowguy_imp said:
Quote:They also stated that any correlation between the display and the quantity of fuel in the tank is purely coincidental.
That about sums it up for me.

I reset my trip odometer at every fill up and I run for about 125 to 135 miles and fill up. That works for me.
That about sums it up for me.

I reset my trip odometer at every fill up and I run for about 125 to 135 miles and fill up. That works for me.
Yes perfect I do exactly the same except with km
 
Back
Top