What differences should I be aware of?

Barkingshins_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Before I ask my question of the forum... a little background. Up till now, ALL of my motorcycling experience has been in the saddle of a '76 Kawasaki KZ750B-1 Twin that I bought as a basket-case for $100 about 10 years ago. Armed with a factory service manual, a handy-man's set of tools, modest mechanical aptitude and a willingness to try anything at least once, I brought this bike back to life after a 12-year hibernation. While it has since been a reliable runner for me, it definitely has its quirks and eccentricities that one might expect from ANY motorcycle that is nearly 4 decades old... particularly one that was resurrected by a novice-at-best mechanic such as myself.

The ship date for my new DLX is now under a week away. Since that first ride will effectively be, for me, a 40-year leap into the future of motorcycling tech, I expect it to be an eye-opening, if not hair-raising, experience. Even starting the engine with the push of a button is going to have me giggling with delight (my KZ has both electric-start AND kick-start but the starter clutch has never really worked so I always kick it).

So my question is...
What things, if any, do I need to be aware of that riders of more modern bikes might take for granted?
 
I have a '78 KZ400, somewhat similar, and the difference between the CB1100 and it can be summed up as: it's all better. Way better brakes, handling, suspension, smoothness, solidity, instant starting, etc. Before the 2013 came out, I would have been a buyer of a vintage CB, and am really happy to have that style and feel in a totally modern, trouble free form. :thumbsup:
 
No choke to mess with. The difference in braking is huge. Be careful not to use too much pressure as they're easily modulated with two fingers. On-off throttle can be a bit more abrupt in a fuel injected bike although the CB is well mannered in this respect compared to some. Being fuel injected, there is an electric fuel pump in the tank and thus no petcock or reserve setting so watch your fuel level gauge. You will really enjoy the smoothness and low end grunt this motor has-it's a gem.
 
Just press the button and try not to smile too much. Everything smooth, no surprise. felt like home the minute I shifted into 1st gear....Since, I can't stop finding excuses to run errands!
You will feel so much safer too.
 
Watch out for bugs in your mouth. The first time you get to 5 th gear ( maybe sooner) , your jaw will involuntarily drop, opening your mouth, and it will make the perfect fly catcher.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Watch out for bugs in your mouth. The first time you get to 5 th gear ( maybe sooner) , your jaw will involuntarily drop, opening your mouth, and it will make the perfect fly catcher.
LOL, a few bugs are actually good for you...Protein and all...
But most taste like C..P!!!
 
Starter, speed, brakes. Just take it easy, start slow, don't roll on the gas until you know the power you have available. Don't let your smile and joy make you forget about riding and looking around.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
!!!!!!!!!!!excitement!!!!!!!!!
Just got the call. My DLX is here! Hopefully picking it up Friday morning.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Maaaaaate!!! Enjoy.

We're hanging out for pictures and hoping you'll get a red one to distinguish yourself from others around here.
 
3 of my first 4 bikes were KZ750 twins (the other was a KZ400). The CB11 is more of everything. More power, more brakes, more suspension and more fun!

The jump in power will be pretty great, but like the KZ750, the CB11 has a very linear power band. It starts delivering power at relatively low rpms and it gradually increases as rpms increase. No surprises. Honda really outdid themselves on the EFI programming. The CB11 is the first fuel injected bike I've ridden that responds to the throttle like a carbed bike.

As for modernity, there's nothing not to like. No more choke to fiddle with. No more points to adjust or timing to set. No more carbs to play with. A tune up consists of changing out the spark plugs.

A lot has happened to motorcycle technology in the last 38 years. Almost all of it good. I think you'll adjust pretty easily.
 
Barkingshins_imp said:
VIN is x0102 apparently.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll add you to the register. Could you confirm when you get the bike?
 
Barkingshins_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Barkingshins_imp said:
VIN is x0102 apparently.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll add you to the register. Could you confirm when you get the bike?
I certainly will... with pictures... and probably an obnoxious number of exclamation points. :)
You'll deserve them!

You're #170 on the register.
 
Back
Top