What did you do on or to your CB 1100 today

Thread starter
You are a good man and a kind soul—just like everyone I have met in Edmond! Take care. David
 
I got the CB out of the garage this morning and rode to breakfast with the old guys.  This time at the Flashback, one of our favorite diners as it offers good basic food and service and low prices.  However there are never many people there, so I worry about it closing.

The ride was brisk to say the least at 26 def F.  Thankfully the roads were dry.  The little ice remaining was in parking lots and easily avoided.

It was still sub-freezing on the way home, but the sun was up.  I pulled over four times to let emergency vehicles pass, and when I caught up to them I found the intersection closed off.  I turned around and rode back into town, and returned home by another route.

They are reporting the accident as fatal, a sobering end to an otherwise good morning of warming up the CB and spending time with friends after not riding for weeks.

[attachment=1095]

[attachment=1096]

[attachment=1097]
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20260213_135525328.webp
    PXL_20260213_135525328.webp
    2.1 MB · Views: 128
  • PXL_20260213_120452187.webp
    PXL_20260213_120452187.webp
    538.6 KB · Views: 128
  • PXL_20260213_140551556.webp
    PXL_20260213_140551556.webp
    1.8 MB · Views: 129
Lunchbag said:
I got the CB out of the garage this morning and rode to breakfast with the old guys.  This time at the Flashback, one of our favorite diners as it offers good basic food and service and low prices.  However there are never many people there, so I worry about it closing.

The ride was brisk to say the least at 26 def F.  Thankfully the roads were dry.  The little ice remaining was in parking lots and easily avoided.

It was still sub-freezing on the way home, but the sun was up.  I pulled over four times to let emergency vehicles pass, and when I caught up to them I found the intersection closed off.  I turned around and rode back into town, and returned home by another route.

They are reporting the accident as fatal, a sobering end to an otherwise good morning of warming up the CB and spending time with friends after not riding for weeks.

Always good to get the bike out after a slumber.
 
Lunchbag said:
I got the CB out of the garage this morning and rode to breakfast with the old guys. 

Bit hard to "like" a post that ends with a fatality, but it's good you got out for a ride, Lunchbg. Looks like a beautiful day in spite of the chill.
 
Didn't do any riding over the weekend. It was Valentine's Day on Saturday, or what I roughly refer to as "Chick's Day", so Mrs. G was given free reign to determine what we'd be doing. We spent Saturday hiking along the coast, enjoyed a lovely lunch, and shopped for a nice pair of steaks to grill for dinner. However, I did get a little garage time Saturday evening before the dinner festivities started, and it led to a lesson learned and the possibility that I am a bad Moto-Parent.

In late January 2023, the Yuasa battery in my CB gave up the ghost after three years. With the increasing price of these batteries, I was miffed that something that cost so much only lasted three years, especially as i am careful to put the bike on a sophisticated Optimate 4 tender/charger when I can't ride for a while. I decided to try and experiment, and bought a $40 "Chrome" brand battery on Amazon that was pretty well rated, and figured if I could get three years out of it, I'd be money ahead.

That battery did a great job until a few weeks ago, when I had a no-start getting ready to ride. I put the bike on a charger overnight, and the next day it started fine and held a full charge. Three years, forty bucks, not bad. I ordered the same battery and put it on the shelf, intending to swap it in as a matter of precaution. Meanwhile, I've been starting and riding the bike with no problem up until my last ride on Thursday evening to meet up with some friends for dinner.

Saturday evening, while Mrs. G was tending to her plants, I pulled the seat and storage bin over the battery on my CB, and got a mild shock to see a crust of white powder on the negative battery terminal. I pulled the battery and it was weeping acid from the area around the terminal. Not enough to do damage to the bike's battery cable, but it was a slight mess of residue in the battery box area. Easily cleaned up with a rag dipped in vinegar and rinsed out.

Ok, the $40 battery was a bargain, but perhaps came at a cost of a minor leak. Not something I want to repeat. I had not opened the new battery yet, so I marked it for return on Amazon. Now, the quest to find a new battery of better quality. I did some shopping on my phone while the grille was warming up and I was seasoning our steaks, and found a new Yuasa to be over $150. That's more than I wanted to spend.

The rest of the evening was a bit of a blur. Mrs. G poured some very strong cocktails, and they were starting to take effect. I had to muster all of my waning ability to concentrate on not burning our very expensive ribeyes, and having cooked them to perfection, I relaxed a bit while we then enjoyed some wine with dinner while watching Thomas Crowne Affair. Mrs. wanted to watch a movie that had a bit of romance but wasn't schlocky. A perfect choice. The phone was still in my hands, and I was apparently still shopping.

I woke up Sunday morning to discover that I had ordered a Bike Master Tru-Gel battery. $70 on Parts Giant. Hmm. Pretty well rated. I could tell that I had watched a YouTube video review on it, so I apparently tried to do some good research. It arrives Wednesday, and we'll see how well it does.
 
Gone in 60 said:
...The rest of the evening was a bit of a blur. Mrs. G poured some very strong cocktails,...we then enjoyed some wine 

I woke up Sunday morning to discover that I had ordered a Bike Master Tru-Gel battery. $70 on Parts Giant. Hmm. ....

I just past the 3 year anniversary of my $39 el-cheapo battery from Amazon.  I guess I better check it for leaks now!  So the procedure to selecting a good battery is... strong cocktails, followed by wine and a movie?
 
pdedse said:
Gone in 60 said:
...The rest of the evening was a bit of a blur. Mrs. G poured some very strong cocktails,...we then enjoyed some wine 

I woke up Sunday morning to discover that I had ordered a Bike Master Tru-Gel battery. $70 on Parts Giant. Hmm. ....

I just past the 3 year anniversary of my $39 el-cheapo battery from Amazon.  I guess I better check it for leaks now!  So the procedure to selecting a good battery is... strong cocktails, followed by wine and a movie?

I think you'd do yourself a service to do a quick check on your battery. Might have been a fluke. The last Interstate battery in my Ford leaked, and they're supposed to be good quality, so you never know I guess. I've spent more money than a motorcycle battery while in a compromised state, so at least I was trying to do something constructive.
 
does any one make a windshield that isnt junk and doesnt direct the wind into your face? 
KEgKK6X.jpeg
PCO0ISX.jpeg
 
Thread starter
i am far from an expert on windshields. I do know I love the one I purchased. See this thread, for what it is worth:

The CB1100 Community Forum
 
Put the new battery in my CB. While I did so, I went through the frustrating routine of trying to get the little square nut to sit in a position inside the cube-shaped terminal where the 10mm screw will catch it and draw it up tight to the terminal. I jammed some paper in there, tried to stick it to the top of the terminal with dialectric grease, and after several attempts and swearing, I finally got both terminals secure.

I was racing to finish, as I had a final Facetime call coming up with my potential future boss. The new job is in the motorcycle market, and once one last signature is inked, I'll spill the details. I figured I'd be charming and was hovering over my CB when he came on the screen. I started by saying "You know, I think there's a conspiracy between the motorcycle OEMs and battery makers to make them hard to get to, and impossible to connect the terminals. He laughed and said "Did you try the wad of paper under the square nut trick?"
 
This is exactly what I do, to be specific, I use a small piece of paper towel under the nut to elevate it up as much as possible… and it has not ever failed. 
To each batter terminal I have connected 2-3 eye loop terminals for heated gear, charger and usb cable
.
 
I usually cut a little square of corrugated cardboard to fit under the nut, giving it some structure and elevation. Wasn’t thinking super clearly, as my mind was racing as it might ten minutes before an interview. We’ll see how long the Bikemaster Tru-Gel lasts. As I mentioned earlier it was an online purchase made while I was in a “cognitively impaired” state, but according to my browser history I had done quite a bit of research on it.
 
Rode my CB to my new boss’ house up in the Hollywood Hills to meet up and get an orientation on the bike and rhe process. He was constantly commenting about what a gorgeous bike it is. 

Need to make a good impression at the start!
 
Gone in 60 said:
Rode my CB to my new boss’ house up in the Hollywood Hills to meet up and get an orientation on the bike and rhe process. He was constantly commenting about what a gorgeous bike it is. 

Need to make a good impression at the start!

Careful!  He might be too impressed and want you to use your red CB for blood deliveries.
 
pdedse said:
Gone in 60 said:
Rode my CB to my new boss’ house up in the Hollywood Hills to meet up and get an orientation on the bike and rhe process. He was constantly commenting about what a gorgeous bike it is. 

Need to make a good impression at the start!

Careful!  He might be too impressed and want you to use your red CB for blood deliveries.

Ha! No thanks. He talks about how insanely expensive the commercial insurance is on a motorcycle carrying medical material. He can foot that bill thank you very much. And, if I'm going to be riding rain or shine, better to do it on a company bike. You know how OCD I am keeping my bikes clean...
 
Back
Top