What did you do on or to your CB 1100 today

Seems like it's been a long time since I've ridden the CB1100; forecast today was low 50s and sunny afternoon.  I felt like getting on the hiway and so rode out to Multnomah Falls along hiway 84.
g9ZYJ9F.jpg


It's a short 10 minute hike up to the bridge
HNNT60P.jpg


I realized on my way home that I had over 4k miles since last oil change (I use trip B for oil changes), so when I got home went right to work
Axt6GOC.jpg


But it wasn't as dry as forecast.  Got dumped on while at the falls and it didn't take long riding through some forested areas to produce a result that the Ferret could be proud of
HJ8pC6A.jpg


After working on the DR650's suspension, and playing with the KLX300's ergos the last few weeks, it felt great to be on the CB1100 today.
 
On Sunday just past, I got to go for a ride. The first one for a while. The map is here.

The day promised to be very hot (34ºC), so at 0630, I met GrahamT and we headed south for a bit down the slab to Yatala where we topped up with petrol. From there we proceeded inland to Canungra and then up the hill to Kamuran Lookout. It was mercifully cool there and we sat, admired the view, drank tea and put the world to rights — sorry guys, it was good at the time but didn't last long. A young man and his friend on a Kawasaki 900 sports bike (not the retro) appeared and we talked with them for a bit.

After that we scooted back to Canungra; up the goat track to Mt Tamborine, where GrahamT retains a modest retreat. After more tea, we abandoned his bike there and he rode on the back with me back to HQ in Brisbane. He then returned to the retreat with his ute. Thus equipped, I'm sure he'll have a wonderful festive season riding around the Gold Coast hinterland.

I got a ride and, for at least an hour after I got home, I bathed in the rosy glow that comes from doing someone a favour. After that it was too hot to do anything.

View north from Kamuram Lookout.
[attachment=961]
 

Attachments

  • IMG_9650.webp
    IMG_9650.webp
    662.6 KB · Views: 30
Thread starter
pdedse said:
Seems like it's been a long time since I've ridden the CB1100; forecast today was low 50s and sunny afternoon.  I felt like getting on the hiway and so rode out to Multnomah Falls along hiway 84.

Clearly, it was worth the wait. What a beautiful, scenic ride. For most of us, it would be life changing. For pdedse, it was just a few hours on his beautiful CB1100! :)
 
Thread starter
[quote="Cormanus" pid='272227' dateline='1766553355']
View north from Kamuram Lookout.
[/QUOTE]

You are a good man, Cormanus. And that view! What a great picture and wonderful ride. David
 
Cormanus said:
pdedse said:
The map link doesn't open anything for me.  ?


My bad, pdedse. Should be good now.

It does work now.  I do enjoy the maps as much as the photos, although usually after I begin the virtual exploring I get "off topic" and 30 minutes later I'm checking out places I've never heard of, imagining how it is to live there, to ride there, what the people must be like, etc.

This time Lord Howe Island caught my eye, about 450 nautical miles from Brisbane...I had never heard of it.
IwrU4VW.jpg
 

My goodness!  Have to ask, have you ever been there?  
rFVZAJT.jpg


Looks like there are flights there, but I also saw in a photo a number of sail boats / yachts near the island.  Would that be something you could sail to in yours?  Internet says 4-5 days sail time.

Looks like there's great hiking, surfing, scuba-diving
kKbt0K8.jpg
 

SKq3rDW.jpg


Likely I'll never make it there, but I love to dream of trips.  Sailing the South Pacific has always been one of mine.

Yep, it's 30 minutes later...
 
Changed both front and rear sprockets along with the chain; 17 front, 41 rear.  What a difference.  Pulls hard in all gears and I no longer have to hunt for the sweet spot.  Have owned my 14’ standard for 10 years, should have made the change years ago.
 
Good you've posted, Don. Welcome to the forum. What made you decide finally to change the sprockets?
 
clearviewx said:
looking for new tires on the web

Any luck?  It can be a bit of a challenge at times.  

I installed a Shinko 741 for the rear less than a year ago because it was cheap and available, and at 4k miles it needs replacing already.
 
pdedse, re your earlier post, no, I haven't been to Lord Howe Island. And, although I probably could sail may boat there, it's a bit more of an adventure than I'd be prepared to take on. I'm more set up for coastal cruising than crossing oceans. I recall talking to someone who'd sailed a boat larger than mine there and they told be it had been a very uncomfortable trip. I also have vague recollection of reading that there are not so many safe anchorages there.

Edit: that prompted me to do some research. There is a fringing reef which would provide good anchoring protection, but you are not allowed to put down an anchor there lest you damage coral. There are moorings one can use. However, if you got there and they were all taken, you'd have to find somewhere ooutside the reef to anchor. That may turn out to be very uncomfortable.
 
Just put a new battery (Battery Mart) in my 2014, tomorrow it gets Mobil 1 4T and a filter so it'll be ready for Spring.
 
Yesterday I had a very pleasant ride on the CB1100. First I visited GrahamT at his country abode (see here] for details of a recent visit. After taking tea and a slice or two of Mrs GrahamT's most excellent Christmas cake, I headed north west and took the scenic route home via the Northbrook Parkway and Mt Glorious. There are no photos, but, for pdedse, I drew a map.
 
Back
Top