What are people paying for the 2017 CB1100s?

iamheero_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Hey all, sad news!

My 2014 is no more, probably. That said, the bike was with me for years and almost 40k trouble-free miles and I want another. It's just such an easy bike to own, maintain, and ride that I can't find another that's better for my all-around needs (touring, commuting, riding around town) with aesthetics I can stand (otherwise I may be looking at a GS/Africa Twin or something).

I'm looking at the '17 now and wondering what people paid. I want to go in with a general idea of what to offer. I paid 7500 new OTD for my '14 a few years back, wondering if the '17s are likewise going for such deep discounts, and if not, what should I expect.

If it helps, I'm in L.A., CA.
 
If you don't mind sharing, what happened to the '14 that makes it "no more, probably"? Paid 10k out the door for '17 in feb, of '18.
To add a bit more...I live in the Portland, OR area and there was only one '17 available at the beginning of the year, and they weren't willing to sell for less than 11,500 at the time, plus they wanted to add on setup on top of that. I looked in the Seattle area to find the one at 10k. One dealership in Auburn, WA (not where I purchased mine) had 5-6 '17s all for MSRP, and now they still have on their website 5 of them all with a 9,999 price tag. It will be interesting to see if the prices come down more.

Good luck with your search!
 
pdedse_imp said:
If you don't mind sharing, what happened to the '14 that makes it "no more, probably"? Paid 10k out the door for '17 in feb, of '18.
To add a bit more...I live in the Portland, OR area and there was only one '17 available at the beginning of the year, and they weren't willing to sell for less than 11,500 at the time, plus they wanted to add on setup on top of that. I looked in the Seattle area to find the one at 10k. One dealership in Auburn, WA (not where I purchased mine) had 5-6 '17s all for MSRP, and now they still have on their website 5 of them all with a 9,999 price tag. It will be interesting to see if the prices come down more.

Good luck with your search!
I’d be interested in this too, iamheero, in the hope it did not involve injury and suffering to anyone.

Good luck with your search. If I recall aright, VLJ had quite a time getting a reasonable price in California, but that was a while ago.
 
iamheero_imp said:
Hey all, sad news!

My 2014 is no more, probably. That said, the bike was with me for years and almost 40k trouble-free miles and I want another. It's just such an easy bike to own, maintain, and ride that I can't find another that's better for my all-around needs (touring, commuting, riding around town) with aesthetics I can stand (otherwise I may be looking at a GS/Africa Twin or something).

I'm looking at the '17 now and wondering what people paid. I want to go in with a general idea of what to offer. I paid 7500 new OTD for my '14 a few years back, wondering if the '17s are likewise going for such deep discounts, and if not, what should I expect.

If it helps, I'm in L.A., CA.
Sad, but glad you are still with us.

Africa Twin? That's quite the spread between that and a CB. :)
 
Thread starter
I have heard back from the adjusters today that the bike IS a total loss. Just an unfortunate run-in with a curve on the peak of a hill and a ton of de-icing gravel. Bars twisted and dented the tank and the dash cracked, the fork and shocks were scraped up, crash bars kept the engine fine, exhaust was wrecked. I wasn't going very fast so basically unharmed but for some bruising. Feeling very unlucky about the fall and bummed to lose the bike since I put almost 40k miles on it!
 
It's very sad about the bike, but much more important that you're OK.

It's also really sad that the bike is a write off given that it's likely to be basically OK. What's wrong with the wold when it ends up being cheaper to throw something away than to repair it?
 
bummer sorry to here about the bike but glad you are ok iamhero. Deicing gravel in LA?
 
Sorry to hear about your accident, but things can be replaced...recover fast and solid and good luck with new CB :thumbsup:
 
Sorry to hear about that. Glad you're whole.

I paid $10K out the door when I purchased my CB earlier in the year.

Now you also mention the Africa Twin and GS. No doubt, both are awesome. Having owned an Africa Twin, and currently own a R1250GS-A, you have to ask yourself the standard questions. What kind of riding are you going to do? You said touring, commuting and riding around town. You can definitely do all with the CB, as you probably know already. The AT can do it all too, but it is set up more for off road riding than interstate touring. But, still an awesome bike! The GS, can do it all too, but at a higher price tag. Plus, it's kind of big for just a quick run around town (at least when fully farkled).
 
Glad you're ok, but sorry to hear of the accident. I got into some post snow-storm sand / gravel along the side of a road while cornering too agressively way back when I was 18, and down I went, pride hurt, bike hurt...but we both healed ok. Good luck with your search.
 
gogoAZ_imp said:
Sorry to hear about that. Glad you're whole.

I paid $10K out the door when I purchased my CB earlier in the year.

Now you also mention the Africa Twin and GS. No doubt, both are awesome. Having owned an Africa Twin, and currently own a R1250GS-A, you have to ask yourself the standard questions. What kind of riding are you going to do? You said touring, commuting and riding around town. You can definitely do all with the CB, as you probably know already. The AT can do it all too, but it is set up more for off road riding than interstate touring. But, still an awesome bike! The GS, can do it all too, but at a higher price tag. Plus, it's kind of big for just a quick run around town (at least when fully farkled).
Locally a '17 CB1100R was listed a few months back at Honda for $13K9C (... so about $10K2U before taxes).
 
gogoAZ_imp said:
Sorry to hear about that. Glad you're whole.

I paid $10K out the door when I purchased my CB earlier in the year.

Now you also mention the Africa Twin and GS. No doubt, both are awesome. Having owned an Africa Twin, and currently own a R1250GS-A, you have to ask yourself the standard questions. What kind of riding are you going to do? You said touring, commuting and riding around town. You can definitely do all with the CB, as you probably know already. The AT can do it all too, but it is set up more for off road riding than interstate touring. But, still an awesome bike! The GS, can do it all too, but at a higher price tag. Plus, it's kind of big for just a quick run around town (at least when fully farkled).
$10k including freight and all applicable sales tax and title fees?
 
apex1_imp said:
gogoAZ_imp said:
Sorry to hear about that. Glad you're whole.

I paid $10K out the door when I purchased my CB earlier in the year.

Now you also mention the Africa Twin and GS. No doubt, both are awesome. Having owned an Africa Twin, and currently own a R1250GS-A, you have to ask yourself the standard questions. What kind of riding are you going to do? You said touring, commuting and riding around town. You can definitely do all with the CB, as you probably know already. The AT can do it all too, but it is set up more for off road riding than interstate touring. But, still an awesome bike! The GS, can do it all too, but at a higher price tag. Plus, it's kind of big for just a quick run around town (at least when fully farkled).
$10k including freight and all applicable sales tax and title fees?
Sales tax and title fees vary by state and/or municipality and really should either not be considered or stated separately when comparing OTD price.
 
Thread starter
gogoAZ_imp said:
Sorry to hear about that. Glad you're whole.

I paid $10K out the door when I purchased my CB earlier in the year.

Now you also mention the Africa Twin and GS. No doubt, both are awesome. Having owned an Africa Twin, and currently own a R1250GS-A, you have to ask yourself the standard questions. What kind of riding are you going to do? You said touring, commuting and riding around town. You can definitely do all with the CB, as you probably know already. The AT can do it all too, but it is set up more for off road riding than interstate touring. But, still an awesome bike! The GS, can do it all too, but at a higher price tag. Plus, it's kind of big for just a quick run around town (at least when fully farkled).
Could have been a lot worse of a crash! I was thinking F800GS more than the R1200, I don't need anything that HUGE. SoCal is great in that there's a lot of different biomes to explore, off-road isn't something I do currently but there are AMPLE opportunities here in the mountains or the deserts, hence the look at the ADV bikes. Like you said, great all-rounders too with a little extra if you want to get dirty.

One thing that pushed me more towards another CB versus a T120 which is super similar was that I'd already done all the maintenance items up through the 36k oil change so I'm familiar and they're all easy. There are 2 '17s in the LA/Orange County area I'm looking at, one listed at $9k (private party) and one at a dealer for $8.5k and both with 1,000 or ~4,000 miles respectively.
The ferret_imp said:
bummer sorry to here about the bike but glad you are ok iamhero. Deicing gravel in LA?
Haha sort of. A lot of people don't know this actually (and I didn't until I moved here) but LA is surrounded by massive 10,000+ ft mountains (some of the best riding roads in the world!) which get ice and snow all the time in the winter. This was about a week after the last rain (or snow in the mountains, I guess) so there was a lot of this crap all over the road. I was going to grab lunch on the other side of one of them, and got a little unlucky on the way. Looking forward to getting back on the horse ASAP though!
 
iamheero_imp said:
gogoAZ_imp said:
Sorry to hear about that. Glad you're whole.

I paid $10K out the door when I purchased my CB earlier in the year.

Now you also mention the Africa Twin and GS. No doubt, both are awesome. Having owned an Africa Twin, and currently own a R1250GS-A, you have to ask yourself the standard questions. What kind of riding are you going to do? You said touring, commuting and riding around town. You can definitely do all with the CB, as you probably know already. The AT can do it all too, but it is set up more for off road riding than interstate touring. But, still an awesome bike! The GS, can do it all too, but at a higher price tag. Plus, it's kind of big for just a quick run around town (at least when fully farkled).
Could have been a lot worse of a crash! I was thinking F800GS more than the R1200, I don't need anything that HUGE. SoCal is great in that there's a lot of different biomes to explore, off-road isn't something I do currently but there are AMPLE opportunities here in the mountains or the deserts, hence the look at the ADV bikes. Like you said, great all-rounders too with a little extra if you want to get dirty.

One thing that pushed me more towards another CB versus a T120 which is super similar was that I'd already done all the maintenance items up through the 36k oil change so I'm familiar and they're all easy. There are 2 '17s in the LA/Orange County area I'm looking at, one listed at $9k (private party) and one at a dealer for $8.5k and both with 1,000 or ~4,000 miles respectively.
The ferret_imp said:
bummer sorry to here about the bike but glad you are ok iamhero. Deicing gravel in LA?
Haha sort of. A lot of people don't know this actually (and I didn't until I moved here) but LA is surrounded by massive 10,000+ ft mountains (some of the best riding roads in the world!) which get ice and snow all the time in the winter. This was about a week after the last rain (or snow in the mountains, I guess) so there was a lot of this crap all over the road. I was going to grab lunch on the other side of one of them, and got a little unlucky on the way. Looking forward to getting back on the horse ASAP though!
Those both sound like decent deals for a '17. Until recently I was shopping for a '17 model. There weren't any used ones available in my area. The lowest dealer prices for a new one were (and still are) around $10K. If you add the usual dealer markups, along with tax, title and license, the OTD prices are around $12K.

If I could have picked up a lightly used one for $9K from a private party (no tax), I would have jumped at it.

If you'll recall, the really hot deals on the '14 models didn't show up until Honda decided to clear the warehouses earlier this year. If you're willing to wait another 2 or 3 years, it might happen for the '17 models (or they might be all gone by then).
 
And a black one

Interesting move away from chrome fenders and the tanks are different.
So, a quick search of Honda's Japanese web site shows three models of the CB1100 for 2019.

The RS in black ...
f4a9076a4a459dd892aac1dfebc18c56.png


The EX in red
7f6caec214b73cb6e0db0069a361d0c1.png


The standard in black
6e625c9e3b2a6941ac6faa13179daf2b.png
 
Back
Top