Weird Observation About Personal Phobias

Gone in 60

Road warrior
Thread starter
I've just been ruminating about a personal phobia that should be affected by riding motorcycles, but is not. And I have no idea why.

To explain: Everyone has some sort of deep, personal fear. Small spaces, sharks, being trapped under a burning couch. Whatever. My deepest fear is having my skin scrape on pavement. This fear is so pervasive that I can't walk on pavement bare-footed. Just thinking about it gives me chills.

A few days ago, while running work errands, I had parked my bike and was walking somewhere nearby. I was wearing my armored riding jeans and boots, but no jacket or gloves. While walking along, I tripped on an uneven part of the sidewalk, and fell forward. My knees hit the ground first, but I didn't feel much due to the pads in my jeans. My outstretched hands hit the sidewalk next to break my fall.

My hands hurt for a few minutes but they weren't cut or scraped. But the thought of them hitting the pavement sent such a chill through me that my "boys" downstairs started hurting a little, and I had to sit down for a minute.

However, this fear has no affect on my motorcycle riding. I don't even give it a thought. Yes, I'm geared-up and the parts that would hit the ground are covered, but it just seems weird to me that I don't think about it at all when I'm riding.
 
I think I understand that, Gone in 60, but I'm not sure I can shed any light on it other than to say that, twice in my life, when I've been riding, I've started thinking about the consequences of falling off. On both those occasions, I've sold the bike and given it up for a number of years. I'm not sure whether it's a phobia, to just a generalised fear of falling off, but it has stopped me riding.
 
After being dragged down hill under the beast, shattering a few material things, and seriously bruising others, I was later days down touring in the U.S. on the same bike. I am amazed they let me in with a shattered windshield.

The drive to ride was still within me, and that wasn't even the best example.

I will reinforce the aspect that the armored mesh jacket, the helmet (which did its job), gloves and maybe most importantly in my case: Ankle protection boots were factors. Regular everyday jeans amazingly did not fail and were used for over five years later when the crotch material finally gave out.

Maybe there is no phobia here, but phobias we do have.

While staying at a motel after a long day of riding, some riders have no problem dropping their face into a stained yellow-brown pillow and cuddling into in a droopy/sagging, brown splotched bed mattress. Others, well, phobia kicks in. Whatever your thrill or ill, don't bring those bed bugs home.
 
We had a rider go down on our ride Saturday thankfully with no serious injury. She was wearing a mesh jacket and riding boots but just regular jeans, a few scrapes on her legs but nothing bad. Also had a small but good scrape on the side of her helmet that most likely would have been bad if not wearing one. But what struck me the most was that her knuckles on one hand were scraped. Not really badly but she was wearing leather gloves. They didn't have the hard knuckle protectors though. That's making me rethink wearing gloves without that protection. Apparently it's not just for show.
 
KiowaEagle_imp said:
We had a rider go down on our ride Saturday thankfully with no serious injury. She was wearing a mesh jacket and riding boots but just regular jeans, a few scrapes on her legs but nothing bad. Also had a small but good scrape on the side of her helmet that most likely would have been bad if not wearing one. But what struck me the most was that her knuckles on one hand were scraped. Not really badly but she was wearing leather gloves. They didn't have the hard knuckle protectors though. That's making me rethink wearing gloves without that protection. Apparently it's not just for show.
no sir, those knucks are **key**. however, it's worth mentioning that they actually don't have to be rigid plastic or carbon fiber. even something with CE2 flexible armor pads and a good abrasion resistant covering will do the trick. The part that needs to be a hard plastic (this is speaking from experience) is the slider on the heel of your palm. always check the gloves youre buying for that. if there isn't a hard plastic slider right there you're gonna have a bad time. if all you have there is a pad, it will catch the pavement rather than sliding, causing your wrist to roll under your arm, breaking it nice and neat. I have not broken a wrist but I've seen somebody go down without a palm slider and try to catch their fall with their hands.

You can probably tell that my phobia is to do with my hands. My hands are so important to me, whether for riding, playing video games, working, or whatever. It's one of my few assets. The nastiest riding phobia I have though is one that is all too real for me in Charleston. Ladders. Trucks with unsecured ladders in the back. they fall out onto the highway in front of unsuspecting motorists. Now, if you're in a car and you hit a ladder, it's a hefty insurance claim or probably a totalled car, but you'll be fine. If **i** hit a ladder, it's going to be instantly and unceremoniously fatal. I carry no illusions about this. It's such a fear of mine that i will openly and loudly admonish any stranger I see driving with an unsecured ladder in their truck. This often just gets me a lot of profanity spewed at me, but i'll spew it right back and repeat myself that they need to tie that thing down like a wild animal.
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
After being dragged down hill under the beast, shattering a few material things, and seriously bruising others, I was later days down touring in the U.S. on the same bike. I am amazed they let me in with a shattered windshield.

The drive to ride was still within me, and that wasn't even the best example.

I will reinforce the aspect that the armored mesh jacket, the helmet (which did its job), gloves and maybe most importantly in my case: Ankle protection boots were factors. Regular everyday jeans amazingly did not fail and were used for over five years later when the crotch material finally gave out.

Maybe there is no phobia here, but phobias we do have.

While staying at a motel after a long day of riding, some riders have no problem dropping their face into a stained yellow-brown pillow and cuddling into in a droopy/sagging, brown splotched bed mattress. Others, well, phobia kicks in. Whatever your thrill or ill, don't bring those bed bugs home.
For someone who travels for a living, staying in some questionable motels for weeks at a time all year, this is one thing that I have come to live with. But, I did have a personal revelation on my recent trip to Oregon. Since the ride was on my dime, and I'm a cheapskate, I booked Motel 6 rooms all the way up. My Waterloo was the location in Fort Bragg. I've stayed in motels that were condemned for mold shortly after I have stayed there, but this place took the cake. Homeless rummaging around, lots of noise, scratchy bed... Since I couldn't sleep, I stayed up cancelling my motels for the rest of the trip and booking nicer locations, while glancing outside every ten minutes to check on my bike. I didn't spend much more, but enjoyed the overnight stops much more for the effort for the rest of the trip.
misterprofessionality_imp said:
KiowaEagle_imp said:
We had a rider go down on our ride Saturday thankfully with no serious injury. She was wearing a mesh jacket and riding boots but just regular jeans, a few scrapes on her legs but nothing bad. Also had a small but good scrape on the side of her helmet that most likely would have been bad if not wearing one. But what struck me the most was that her knuckles on one hand were scraped. Not really badly but she was wearing leather gloves. They didn't have the hard knuckle protectors though. That's making me rethink wearing gloves without that protection. Apparently it's not just for show.
no sir, those knucks are **key**. however, it's worth mentioning that they actually don't have to be rigid plastic or carbon fiber. even something with CE2 flexible armor pads and a good abrasion resistant covering will do the trick. The part that needs to be a hard plastic (this is speaking from experience) is the slider on the heel of your palm. always check the gloves youre buying for that. if there isn't a hard plastic slider right there you're gonna have a bad time. if all you have there is a pad, it will catch the pavement rather than sliding, causing your wrist to roll under your arm, breaking it nice and neat. I have not broken a wrist but I've seen somebody go down without a palm slider and try to catch their fall with their hands.

You can probably tell that my phobia is to do with my hands. My hands are so important to me, whether for riding, playing video games, working, or whatever. It's one of my few assets. The nastiest riding phobia I have though is one that is all too real for me in Charleston. Ladders. Trucks with unsecured ladders in the back. they fall out onto the highway in front of unsuspecting motorists. Now, if you're in a car and you hit a ladder, it's a hefty insurance claim or probably a totalled car, but you'll be fine. If **i** hit a ladder, it's going to be instantly and unceremoniously fatal. I carry no illusions about this. It's such a fear of mine that i will openly and loudly admonish any stranger I see driving with an unsecured ladder in their truck. This often just gets me a lot of profanity spewed at me, but i'll spew it right back and repeat myself that they need to tie that thing down like a wild animal.
no sir, those knucks are **key**. however, it's worth mentioning that they actually don't have to be rigid plastic or carbon fiber. even something with CE2 flexible armor pads and a good abrasion resistant covering will do the trick. The part that needs to be a hard plastic (this is speaking from experience) is the slider on the heel of your palm. always check the gloves youre buying for that. if there isn't a hard plastic slider right there you're gonna have a bad time. if all you have there is a pad, it will catch the pavement rather than sliding, causing your wrist to roll under your arm, breaking it nice and neat. I have not broken a wrist but I've seen somebody go down without a palm slider and try to catch their fall with their hands.

You can probably tell that my phobia is to do with my hands. My hands are so important to me, whether for riding, playing video games, working, or whatever. It's one of my few assets. The nastiest riding phobia I have though is one that is all too real for me in Charleston. Ladders. Trucks with unsecured ladders in the back. they fall out onto the highway in front of unsuspecting motorists. Now, if you're in a car and you hit a ladder, it's a hefty insurance claim or probably a totalled car, but you'll be fine. If **i** hit a ladder, it's going to be instantly and unceremoniously fatal. I carry no illusions about this. It's such a fear of mine that i will openly and loudly admonish any stranger I see driving with an unsecured ladder in their truck. This often just gets me a lot of profanity spewed at me, but i'll spew it right back and repeat myself that they need to tie that thing down like a wild animal.
Ugh... ladders. The freeways of Southern California are strewn with the mangled remains of them. Especially on my commute, which is from the "working class" part of the county, to the "rich people" part, where all of the work is being done. One of the benefits of being able to lane split here is the ability to pass work trucks that have unsecured loads. Even if I have to squirt around someone at a not-so-legal speed, I'd rather do that than be behind a truck with something that can hit me.

And yes, I'm very careful with my hands. I'm surprised both of mine still work. They're battered, scarred and not all of the fingers point in the same direction after years of working on cars, houses and motorcycles. For the larger things, I can tell you what did it. Still, I do wear good gloves with knuckle protection. Most of the time, my hands already look like they were in an accident, but going to do everything I can to keep 'em intact.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
After being dragged down hill under the beast, shattering a few material things, and seriously bruising others, I was later days down touring in the U.S. on the same bike. I am amazed they let me in with a shattered windshield.

The drive to ride was still within me, and that wasn't even the best example.

I will reinforce the aspect that the armored mesh jacket, the helmet (which did its job), gloves and maybe most importantly in my case: Ankle protection boots were factors. Regular everyday jeans amazingly did not fail and were used for over five years later when the crotch material finally gave out.

Maybe there is no phobia here, but phobias we do have.

While staying at a motel after a long day of riding, some riders have no problem dropping their face into a stained yellow-brown pillow and cuddling into in a droopy/sagging, brown splotched bed mattress. Others, well, phobia kicks in. Whatever your thrill or ill, don't bring those bed bugs home.
I had a buddy that carried a lightweight sleeping bag with him on every trip and used it to sleep in at motels lol

I generally stay at fairly "nice" places, Comfort Inn/Quality Inn type, and have never had an issue with the bedding. One time on the first Fall Men's Trip in 2006 we were riding the BRP and stopped at a mom and pop type hotel just off it in Ashville, NC. The next morning as were packing the bikes I noticed the hotel owner slip into our room without anything in her hands, stayed a minute, and leave again. I went back in and found the beds perfectly re-made and that kinda creeped me out. Wondered how many times she had pulled that trick.
 
Thread starter
That's service! Motels are certainly hit-or-miss. If you ever find yourself in Fort Bragg, CA, which you will if you are riding up the coast, for the love of everything that is good, stay somewhere South of the harbor.
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
KiowaEagle_imp said:
We had a rider go down on our ride Saturday thankfully with no serious injury. She was wearing a mesh jacket and riding boots but just regular jeans, a few scrapes on her legs but nothing bad. Also had a small but good scrape on the side of her helmet that most likely would have been bad if not wearing one. But what struck me the most was that her knuckles on one hand were scraped. Not really badly but she was wearing leather gloves. They didn't have the hard knuckle protectors though. That's making me rethink wearing gloves without that protection. Apparently it's not just for show.
no sir, those knucks are **key**. however, it's worth mentioning that they actually don't have to be rigid plastic or carbon fiber. even something with CE2 flexible armor pads and a good abrasion resistant covering will do the trick. The part that needs to be a hard plastic (this is speaking from experience) is the slider on the heel of your palm. always check the gloves youre buying for that. if there isn't a hard plastic slider right there you're gonna have a bad time. if all you have there is a pad, it will catch the pavement rather than sliding, causing your wrist to roll under your arm, breaking it nice and neat. I have not broken a wrist but I've seen somebody go down without a palm slider and try to catch their fall with their hands.

You can probably tell that my phobia is to do with my hands. My hands are so important to me, whether for riding, playing video games, working, or whatever. It's one of my few assets. The nastiest riding phobia I have though is one that is all too real for me in Charleston. Ladders. Trucks with unsecured ladders in the back. they fall out onto the highway in front of unsuspecting motorists. Now, if you're in a car and you hit a ladder, it's a hefty insurance claim or probably a totalled car, but you'll be fine. If **i** hit a ladder, it's going to be instantly and unceremoniously fatal. I carry no illusions about this. It's such a fear of mine that i will openly and loudly admonish any stranger I see driving with an unsecured ladder in their truck. This often just gets me a lot of profanity spewed at me, but i'll spew it right back and repeat myself that they need to tie that thing down like a wild animal.
:-/ Yeah, losing or tearing back a finger or two while going down would be not much fun.
 
Don't know if it is actually under "phobias," since it is real, but that ladders thing is a real concern around the Phoenix freeways. They are all over the place along with wheel-barrows, mattresses and other pieces of furniture. They scare the heck out of me in a car, but a motorcycle is deadly. The main reason I don't like riding on freeways anymore than I have to. As far as sleeping away from home, I do like taking my own pillow when I can and stay at someplace that looks like they change the sheets and towels after each guest.
 
I wouldn't consider most of these things mentioned above phobias since they aren't irrational. The only thing motorcycle related I have that I'd consider irrational is heights while crossing the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. I couldn't jump the rails on a motorcycle to go off the bridge if I tried, but there is always anxiety when I cross it. Looking to the side while on the highest part of the bridge just gives me the willies.

I have a fear of heights in general, which is odd because I'm also a pilot, and have no problem whatsoever when in a cockpit. Also, in days past I have jumped out of perfectly good planes for work related activities and I don't have a problem with that either. Get me on a bridge or looking over the top of a tall building and I turn to goo though.
 
Plus 2. On the truck tire retreads, that’s my main reason I stay off the super slabs.I have had numerous incidents from them in cars and trucks, can’t imagine being on a motorcycle and trying to dodge flying rubber at 70 miles an hour.
 
obleo_imp said:
Plus 2. On the truck tire retreads, that’s my main reason I stay off the super slabs.I have had numerous incidents from them in cars and trucks, can’t imagine being on a motorcycle and trying to dodge flying rubber at 70 miles an hour.
No imagining. It just is.

The key is to sense, predict, position defensively (or offensively to avoid a potential event), and protect the neck.

For some members, freeway riding in unavoidable.

I have seen the real-time carnage created to neighbouring laneway cars that get hit because they typically lolli-gag in the potential debris field of transport trucks.

Respect the transports. Give 'em lots-o-space.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
obleo_imp said:
Plus 2. On the truck tire retreads, that’s my main reason I stay off the super slabs.I have had numerous incidents from them in cars and trucks, can’t imagine being on a motorcycle and trying to dodge flying rubber at 70 miles an hour.
No imagining. It just is.

The key is to sense, predict, position defensively (or offensively to avoid a potential event), and protect the neck.

For some members, freeway riding in unavoidable.

I have seen the real-time carnage created to neighbouring laneway cars that get hit because they typically lolli-gag in the potential debris field of transport trucks.

Respect the transports. Give 'em lots-o-space.
And, if possible, observe them via the mirror.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
obleo_imp said:
Plus 2. On the truck tire retreads, that’s my main reason I stay off the super slabs.I have had numerous incidents from them in cars and trucks, can’t imagine being on a motorcycle and trying to dodge flying rubber at 70 miles an hour.
No imagining. It just is.

The key is to sense, predict, position defensively (or offensively to avoid a potential event), and protect the neck.

For some members, freeway riding in unavoidable.

I have seen the real-time carnage created to neighbouring laneway cars that get hit because they typically lolli-gag in the potential debris field of transport trucks.

Respect the transports. Give 'em lots-o-space.
And, if possible, observe them via the mirror.
And, if possible, observe them via the mirror.
I hear ya!


 
A few times "what am I doing riding a motorcycle?" fear has crept up and both have to deal with riders that I "know" via the internet having accidents. Once was when VLJ from this forum had his accident and hearing how that changed his life and the other was Ozymandias (Clayton) on the ADV site. He's the one who had hit a burro in Mexico on his way to Argentina from Seattle. Life changed on a dime for them. Their stories are sobering and I think about them frequently when I ride.

Outside of motorcycling, busy boat ramps! I have a small 17' inboard/outboard, a Glastron 2006. Simple boat for tubing / skiing, nothing fancy. But I get butterflies in my stomache every time I put in / pull out and there's lots of people doing the same. I guess it's a fear of doing a royal doo-doo infront of a bunch of people, combined with a dread of encountering drunk boaters butting their way through others waiting patiently to dock or put in. Fortunately, my schedule allows me to avoid busy weekends most of the time.
 
+1 to riding on roads that aren't interstates (when you can)

+2 on the dangers being behind us in our mirrors

+100 to those who've gone down the hardest
 
Back
Top