Weekend Ride in Montana

hdvalente_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
So the weather was quite nice this weekend (considering mid November in Montana) and I was able to ride 193 miles on Saturday (Billings-Columbus-Red Lodge-Columbus-Billings) and another 134 miles on Sunday (Billings-Hardin-Billings).
I really enjoyed the curvy portions of the ride! :cool:

 
Red Lodge?...did you go over Bear Tooth? My wife's favorite motorcycle road.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Red Lodge?...did you go over Bear Tooth? My wife's favorite motorcycle road.
The Beartooth Highway was closed on October 5th this year because of maintenance. It will only reopen on May 27, 2016.

But from Billings to Red Lodge, going through Columbus there is this nice and quiet road Old US-10 and then MT-78, no highways!
 
Hey HD,

78 is one of my favorites. Have you ever ridden the Stillwater River or Nye roads? It looks like a promising side loop off 78.

Gus
 
Thread starter
Hi Gus,
I never went that way but checking with Google maps it looks like a nice ride.
Is it all paved?
And thanks for the info!
Magnus

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
 
I've spent very little time on a bike in Montana and all the fun roads, when I was a kid, were naturally as a spectator - on gravel roads. Mostly in Powder River County, where one hit the hills at 70+ for a tummy tickler (and right justified just in case in the off chance a vehicle was coming from the other direction. Fun when you only had three tracks in the road for two cars.).

That said, Highway 12 between Helena and Garrison would be a hoot on a bike.

But a light bike suited for gravel and dirt would suit the "funner" roads in MT.

(Red Lodge was a big sell - like Kalispell - when I was a kid and when we went through it a few years the taste did not live up to the sizzle. I had over sold Kalispell and when I showed my wife the town it was bumper to bumper cars from about five miles north of Kalispell all the way through town. They all had Montana plates too. She was not impressed and I was pretty deflated. Heavy sigh)
 
hdvalente_imp said:
hdvalente_imp said:
Hi Gus,
I never went that way but checking with Google maps it looks like a nice ride.
Is it all paved?
And thanks for the info!
Magnus

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
Gus,
I found some info about it:
The Absarokee Loop Scenic Drive in Montana : Information, Photos and Maps
So most of the Stillwater River road is gravel ("all-season gravel surface") so I may try it next summer.
Magnus
Gus,
I found some info about it:
The Absarokee Loop Scenic Drive in Montana : Information, Photos and Maps
So most of the Stillwater River road is gravel ("all-season gravel surface") so I may try it next summer.
Magnus
Hi HD, I viewed the loop on Google Earth, and it looked to me like there was a painted centerline for the whole route, which made me think it is paved all the way. Maybe the fishing site info is out of date? It sounds like a good excuse for a reconnoiter next Spring. - Gus
 
Rboe_imp said:
I've spent very little time on a bike in Montana and all the fun roads, when I was a kid, were naturally as a spectator - on gravel roads. Mostly in Powder River County, where one hit the hills at 70+ for a tummy tickler (and right justified just in case in the off chance a vehicle was coming from the other direction. Fun when you only had three tracks in the road for two cars.).

That said, Highway 12 between Helena and Garrison would be a hoot on a bike.

But a light bike suited for gravel and dirt would suit the "funner" roads in MT.

(Red Lodge was a big sell - like Kalispell - when I was a kid and when we went through it a few years the taste did not live up to the sizzle. I had over sold Kalispell and when I showed my wife the town it was bumper to bumper cars from about five miles north of Kalispell all the way through town. They all had Montana plates too. She was not impressed and I was pretty deflated. Heavy sigh)
You got that right, the traffic problems. Here in the Missoula area, a combination of madcap growth, coupled to the TYPE of industry out here (universities, government agencies, New-Age home-based web businesses) lead to a LOT of traffic. Sales, inspection, and just a lotta time and money to go cruising.

The roads are great but the traffic is a big SAP to what pleasure there is.

You mention Garrison to Helena. I've made that trip by cycle now over a dozen times...it's worth it. But traffic can be a royal pain; and not JUST lookey-lous and motorhomes. There's a lot of eighteen-wheeler traffic through there, too. The situation can lead for sudden needs to change, and if you misstep, you launch off the side of the mountain.

Interestingly, the time I had the most fun out here with my CB11 was going east, US 12 through North and South Dakota. THERE I had the road all to myself, and got to test out the speed limiter and my windscreen (both passed!) I was doing triple digits so long that when I slowed DOWN to 85, it felt like I was dragging the beat.

Talking to natives here...it was not so long ago when all the roads were the same way. Had the whole stretch to yourself, except for holidays and special events.

The key to enjoying Montana's riding opportunities...is really a dual-sport. It's one more reason why I'm putting my CB, a bike I do truly like, up for sale. Can't afford three at this point.
 
Very nice. We camped in Yellowstone this past summer...didn't get to Montana. However, every day in yellowstone (2 weeks worth) I thought I should have brought my CB....
 
HD, that looks like a good ride. Like your photo.


Rboe_imp said:
I've spent very little time on a bike in Montana and all the fun roads, when I was a kid, were naturally as a spectator - on gravel roads. Mostly in Powder River County, where one hit the hills at 70+ for a tummy tickler (and right justified just in case in the off chance a vehicle was coming from the other direction. Fun when you only had three tracks in the road for two cars.).

That said, Highway 12 between Helena and Garrison would be a hoot on a bike.

But a light bike suited for gravel and dirt would suit the "funner" roads in MT.

(Red Lodge was a big sell - like Kalispell - when I was a kid and when we went through it a few years the taste did not live up to the sizzle. I had over sold Kalispell and when I showed my wife the town it was bumper to bumper cars from about five miles north of Kalispell all the way through town. They all had Montana plates too. She was not impressed and I was pretty deflated. Heavy sigh)
That sounds like so much of the dirt/gravel we ride here in OZ.

Cheers
 
Thread starter
This ride was actually done entirely on paved roads. I took the picture on a gravel road because there was little to no room to stop the bike in the road for a picture.

Montana has a ton of great curvy scenic roads and some of them with little to no traffic most of the time, like this one, MT-78.
Here is the route that I did to Red Lodge (and back to Billings through the same path), picture taken at Gabrian Rd shown on map:

 
Back
Top