We Test Ride The Scout

redbirds_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Pamela and I left for Ocala, FL yesterday at 5AM so that we could arrive at Indian Motorcycles of Ocala by opening time. They're hosting the Indian factory ride show over the weekend and we hoped to beat the crowds to sign up for a ride. Arriving at 9AM we discover that they had opened an hour early and there is a long line at the ride sign-up already. We finally get signed up for a turn on a Scout in the third wave and spend the morning browsing the inventory of this fantastic dealership which sells Honda, Kawasaki, Can-Am, Triumph, Polaris and Victory as well.

It's late morning with perfect riding conditions when we get our turn on the Scouts. I haven't ridden a cruiser in years and am immediately struck by how weird and totally unnatural this riding position is with your feet forward and your body compressed into a "C" shape. The seat is very comfy, for me at least. Pamela and another lady tester declare the seat a torture device, designed for male bums. The ride takes about 20 minutes and covers some rather bumpy sections that I expect to transmit some hard hits from the limited rear suspension travel but not so. I think the large tires with their flexible side walls absorb the worst of the jolts. The most surprising aspect of the Scout is it's handling, completely natural and confidence inspiring. The bike flicks willingly into a turn and holds any line easily, very un-cruiser like. The motor is just about perfect with great torque from right off idle and very smooth. The fuel injection is well sorted and not a sign of throttle snatch. The brakes are adequate but sub par compared to the CB. Another disc up front is needed. Set up on the test bikes varied it seems. Pamela's bike had a heavier clutch pull and a bit of throttle snatch that made her ride less pleasant than mine and I've already mentioned her opinion of the seat.

Overall, I like this bike but it would never replace my CB1100. Another Indian model with the same motor but better ergos would tempt me to have one as a second ride.

The trip to Ocala took us past many of our favorite places that we frequented when we lived there. One of these is Lochloosa Lake near Hawthorne,FL. We spent many good times there bass fishing and bird watching. Pausing at the lake for lunch on the way home it was as we remembered it, beautiful. Bald Eagles soared overhead and a Tri-colored Heron on the boat dock accompanied our break.

5b897f1b066894c3b2d81fa4bbfa24d7.jpg


46919a3f771260ca17196133eae3a88e.jpg


6d324830134c8a1bc9fd9ffc3eb893db.jpg


197a8bf4ef4d5104f9c5cdf5985732c0.jpg


7616bb96293e2d2e32ba5dde422c0db6.jpg


5fdb1d13d9d4cfa1d83451d0b66d9b24.jpg


2b4ef9e2c86d58487940b802d77dc5ed.jpg


d5c018263f408e5a59b4cfc3b6d6a094.jpg
 
redbirds_imp said:
Pamela and I left for Ocala, FL yesterday at 5AM so that we could arrive at Indian Motorcycles of Ocala by opening time. They're hosting the Indian factory ride show over the weekend and we hoped to beat the crowds to sign up for a ride. Arriving at 9AM we discover that they had opened an hour early and there is a long line at the ride sign-up already. We finally get signed up for a turn on a Scout in the third wave and spend the morning browsing the inventory of this fantastic dealership which sells Honda, Kawasaki, Can-Am, Triumph, Polaris and Victory as well.

It's late morning with perfect riding conditions when we get our turn on the Scouts. I haven't ridden a cruiser in years and am immediately struck by how weird and totally unnatural this riding position is with your feet forward and your body compressed into a "C" shape. The seat is very comfy, for me at least. Pamela and another lady tester declare the seat a torture device, designed for male bums. The ride takes about 20 minutes and covers some rather bumpy sections that I expect to transmit some hard hits from the limited rear suspension travel but not so. I think the large tires with their flexible side walls absorb the worst of the jolts. The most surprising aspect of the Scout is it's handling, completely natural and confidence inspiring. The bike flicks willingly into a turn and holds any line easily, very un-cruiser like. The motor is just about perfect with great torque from right off idle and very smooth. The fuel injection is well sorted and not a sign of throttle snatch. The brakes are adequate but sub par compared to the CB. Another disc up front is needed. Set up on the test bikes varied it seems. Pamela's bike had a heavier clutch pull and a bit of throttle snatch that made her ride less pleasant than mine and I've already mentioned her opinion of the seat.

Overall, I like this bike but it would never replace my CB1100. Another Indian model with the same motor but better ergos would tempt me to have one as a second ride.

The trip to Ocala took us past many of our favorite places that we frequented when we lived there. One of these is Lochloosa Lake near Hawthorne,FL. We spent many good times there bass fishing and bird watching. Pausing at the lake for lunch on the way home it was as we remembered it, beautiful. Bald Eagles soared overhead and a Tri-colored Heron on the boat dock accompanied our break.

5b897f1b066894c3b2d81fa4bbfa24d7.jpg


46919a3f771260ca17196133eae3a88e.jpg


6d324830134c8a1bc9fd9ffc3eb893db.jpg


197a8bf4ef4d5104f9c5cdf5985732c0.jpg


7616bb96293e2d2e32ba5dde422c0db6.jpg


5fdb1d13d9d4cfa1d83451d0b66d9b24.jpg


2b4ef9e2c86d58487940b802d77dc5ed.jpg


d5c018263f408e5a59b4cfc3b6d6a094.jpg
Anytime handlebars slant backward, away from the triple clamps, you have already lost me. So many of the cruisers & tourers do that, and to me there is hardly anything else as goofy looking. Just sort of says... "Sorry we put the forks in the wrong place. Let's slant the bars back to where your hands really are!"
 
Nice Heron pic!

Good report Redbirds, and interesting pics. Looks like mostly Harley types were there to test the Indians

Everybody I know that has test ridden the little Indian says the same thing..GREAT MOTOR! The rest not so much.

Wonder if Indian will ever put that motor in a standard.
 
I wanted to ride one but the line was too long so I took the Classic for another spin (test rode one a year ago). Unlike my first experience I enjoyed the bike this time and was more impressed this time around. I could see buying one. Plunked my butt on a Scout after the ride and was not too impressed; which is pretty unfair after riding the big Classic. :)

So at some point I'd still like to ride a Scout. Size wise it has a lot going for it but I think it would have to replace a bike and so far I'm not willing to do that.
 
Great report and photos, Redbirds. I don't think I'd like the riding position of the Scout, either, but I think it could be a great bike for my wife. She rides a CTX so the riding position would be closer to something she's used to. The fact that the women did not like the seat is of concern, though. Maybe we'll get a chance for a test ride next spring.

Thanks for the information. :)
 
Thread starter
EmptySea_imp said:
Great report and photos, Redbirds. I don't think I'd like the riding position of the Scout, either, but I think it could be a great bike for my wife. She rides a CTX so the riding position would be closer to something she's used to. The fact that the women did not like the seat is of concern, though. Maybe we'll get a chance for a test ride next spring.

Thanks for the information. :)
You know how seats are ES, your wife may find the seat acceptable and accessory seats will probably be available soon. It really is a fine machine with excellent build quality, great handling and a strong motor. My only gripe really was the feet forward ride position. I'm still wondering why the clutch pull on the bike Pamela rode was so heavy and the throttle snatchy.
 
Great report, redbirds. Like you, I'd find it hard to adjust again to having my feet forward. It has been a relief having them where they belong for the past 14 months.
 
I think the scout has the ugliest front end I have ever seen on a cruiser. It's so low, fat, short, hideous plastic looking engine, the handlebars and the rider always looks awkward riding it. The chiefs look good but man I think they missed the mark on the scout.
 
I agree, especially with regard to the engine. It looks like a plastic toy, nothing like an engine usually looks in the real world!
 
Well, there is no relationship at all to the historical Indian, which was closed already 1953. This is just a marketing trial, to reuse this famous brand to get a foot into the door of the motorcycle market by Polaris.

I apologize for sounding off against Indian, however, for me this is just a fake.
 
Django_imp said:
Well, there is no relationship at all to the historical Indian, which was closed already 1953. This is just a marketing trial, to reuse this famous brand to get a foot into the door of the motorcycle market by Polaris.

I apologize for sounding off against Indian, however, for me this is just a fake.
Django I have said the same thing many times here and on MotorcycleDaily.com, and I always get a tongue lashing for saying so.

but .....

To me to be claiming they are the oldest motorcycle company, to have "Indian since 1901" stamped in to their cases and air cleaners is a slap in the face of motorcycling history. Polaris Indian cases should say "Indian since 2013."

and Bloor's Triumphs (at least they had the courtesy to change the Triumph logo) should say since 1991.

oops, off soap box now..again
 
The ferret_imp said:
Django_imp said:
Well, there is no relationship at all to the historical Indian, which was closed already 1953. This is just a marketing trial, to reuse this famous brand to get a foot into the door of the motorcycle market by Polaris.

I apologize for sounding off against Indian, however, for me this is just a fake.
Django I have said the same thing many times here and on MotorcycleDaily.com, and I always get a tongue lashing for saying so.

but .....

To me to be claiming they are the oldest motorcycle company, to have "Indian since 1901" stamped in to their cases and air cleaners is a slap in the face of motorcycling history. Polaris Indian cases should say "Indian since 2013."

and Bloor's Triumphs (at least they had the courtesy to change the Triumph logo) should say since 1991.

oops, off soap box now..again
Funny thing is, I had written something like this already in my other posting, but removed it before posting, as I didn't want to open just another can.

:beerchug:
 
<SNIP>
The Ferret wrote;
To me to be claiming they are the oldest motorcycle company, to have "Indian since 1901" stamped in to their cases and air cleaners is a slap in the face of motorcycling history. Polaris Indian cases should say "Indian since 2013."
<SNIP>
[/QUOTE]

I think it would add to the cool factor if Indian had been in continuous business from 1903 until now. But we can't go back and change history.

Just to draw a parallel, Cadillac was bought out by General Motors in 1909, and Lincoln was purchased by Ford Motor Co. in 1922. Could purists claim that these cars aren't real Cadillacs & Lincolns?

~ The Bee
 
Thread starter
Perhaps it would be more accurate to say the name Indian is the oldest US brand. Many brands have been resurrected in the past, Triumph included and others such as Brough and Norton. Who can blame Polaris for using a slogan claiming to be America's oldest bike company. It's simply good marketing.

Beauty is in the beholder's eye we would all agree and I found the Scout a very handsome bike, better than any similar priced cruiser IMO. The motor is very handsome, without the bogus fins that adorn it's liquid cooled competitors. Even the radiator shroud is artfully done being cast in aluminum as an integral part of the frame. The styling is not meant to be retro but an evolution of the style that the original Scout may have taken if the company had not dissolved.

Finally, beauty is as beauty does. This bike breaks out of the typical cruiser mold by exhibiting outstanding handling, engine performance and weight management compared to other liquid cooled cruisers. I just wish it was a standard like our CB's.
 
Mike nobody is dismissing what Polaris is doing. It's a great thing. I wish them well too. I hope they are a huge success. Yes, we all benefit.

But as a motorcycle history buff, it is my contention, you can't buy history, you have to earn it. Like I said if they claimed Indian since 2013, hey I'd agree with that. That's when they bought the name.

Harley has been in continuous business since 1903. Same folks, same family (sort of) have been either running it or working there the whole time. That's history.

There isn't a shred of linkage between the old Indian, and the new Indian. Not the building, not the tooling, not the engineers, not the management, not a single worker that was there when the plant closed 60 years prior.

My father rode Indians until 1952, started on an Indian. If he were still with us, he would say these new bikes are not really Indians. They are Polaris's. he may LIKE these new bikes, but he would say there's no Indian blood running in their veins.

I couldn't marry George Washington's great great great great..... granddaughter and then claim it was my family that crossed the Delaware. I had nothing to do with it. Not the same blood running through my veins. Same with Polaris Indian.

Again, you cannot purchase history.

Has nothing to do whether Polaris is a good company, whether they are making great motorcycles, or whether they even call them Indians (they bought the right to do just that). They just can't claim 112 years of heritage that isn't theirs to claim IMO. Polaris/Indian since 2013 is their right.

to answer your question

"Just to draw a parallel, Cadillac was bought out by General Motors in 1909, and Lincoln was purchased by Ford Motor Co. in 1922. Could purists claim that these cars aren't real Cadillacs & Lincolns?"

a better parallel line would be if Cadillac and Lincoln both went out of business in 1909 and 1922. In 2013 Hundai bought the naming rights and started making cars and calling them Cadillac and Lincolns. Would people still consider them so?


" I think it would add to the cool factor if Indian had been in continuous business from 1903 until now. But we can't go back and change history."

I think you mean 1901, but I agree .... or buy it IMO
 
The ferret_imp said:
Mike nobody is dismissing what Polaris is doing. It's a great thing. I wish them well too. I hope they are a huge success. Yes, we all benefit.

But as a motorcycle history buff, it is my contention, you can't buy history, you have to earn it. Like I said if they claimed Indian since 2013, hey I'd agree with that. That's when they bought the name.

Harley has been in continuous business since 1903. Same folks, same family (sort of) have been either running it or working there the whole time. That's history.

There isn't a shred of linkage between the old Indian, and the new Indian. Not the building, not the tooling, not the engineers, not the management, not a single worker that was there when the plant closed 60 years prior.

My father rode Indians until 1952, started on an Indian. If he were still with us, he would say these new bikes are not really Indians. They are Polaris's. he may LIKE these new bikes, but he would say there's no Indian blood running in their veins.

I couldn't marry George Washington's great great great great..... granddaughter and then claim it was my family that crossed the Delaware. I had nothing to do with it. Not the same blood running through my veins. Same with Polaris Indian.

Again, you cannot purchase history.

Has nothing to do whether Polaris is a good company, whether they are making great motorcycles, or whether they even call them Indians (they bought the right to do just that). They just can't claim 112 years of heritage that isn't theirs to claim IMO. Polaris/Indian since 2013 is their right.

to answer your question

"Just to draw a parallel, Cadillac was bought out by General Motors in 1909, and Lincoln was purchased by Ford Motor Co. in 1922. Could purists claim that these cars aren't real Cadillacs & Lincolns?"

a better parallel line would be if Cadillac and Lincoln both went out of business in 1909 and 1922. In 2013 Hundai bought the naming rights and started making cars and calling them Cadillac and Lincolns. Would people still consider them so?


" I think it would add to the cool factor if Indian had been in continuous business from 1903 until now. But we can't go back and change history."

I think you mean 1901, but I agree .... or buy it IMO
I know this may be pedantic, but that analogy doesn't quite work, does it? If Hyundai bought Cadillac and Lincoln naming rights, it might make some unhappy, but it would not be quite the same as if they then claimed to have been churning them out since 1900 (or whenever).

It seems to me that's what Polaris is trying to get people to believe: that a they've just taken over a brand that's been churning out bikes since 1901. It's simply not true.
 
Yes Cormanus , not pedantic at all. I just thought that was implied in this instance, and was my point exactly.
 
Triumph has a slightly better case for their 'since 1902' claim. John Bloor bought the remnants of the company months after bankruptcy in '83, and turned the manufacturing rights to the Bonnie over to Les Harris. Harris produced a limited number of Bonnies every year through '89 while Bloor was building the new factory and designing the new bikes, which were displayed at Cologne in 1990. So, with only one full year when a Triumph was not being produced, there is certainly more continuity than Indian.
 
I don't know, Polaris bought the brand and are, from what I can tell, trying to resurrect a brand once known for quality and performance with bikes that harken back to that era, but which are unique in their own right. They seem to have accomplished this resurrection when previous attempts have failed. I don't really think they are trying to fool anyone by using 1902 (or whatever it is). I think they are just trying demonstrate that the new Indians will be built with that heritage in mind. As far as I can tell, they've built two really good motorcycles. I hope they can build on those accomplishments.
 
The Indian name stands for something in peoples minds. If Polaris can honor that image by producing a bike that the Old Indian company "might" be producing today if it could have stuck around and have people buy into that dream; well then, it's an Indian (unlike the over priced S&S engine boat anchors built under the Indian name that came before).

I don't see Polaris claiming anything that is not true (after all, they are not saying it was in production since 1901 or that they owned the company back then), are producing a darn good machine - OK, the Scout is not really dear to me - but I have not ridden one yet.

I'd like to see Crocker and Henderson come back too. Crocker was known as a performance bike so if Polaris bought the Crocker name for a hot rod V-twin line, instead of rebadging a Victory or Indian I think the spirit of the bike would be there; if not the linage.

Since I'm dreaming here; I'd love to see a modern (but not too modern) take on the Sunbeam S7. A Gentemans' Touring Bike. :)
 
Back
Top