Was insulted today !

Jayimpalaman_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I was talking to a Indian Motorcycle dealer today and he said that only older riders bought CB1100 motorcycles and that they were slow sellers. I was in shock !! I was just hurt !! I was insulted !! I thought older riders were in their 80's. I have met a few. It seems like everytime someone comes out with something NEW that it was made for the younger folk. But, the (older people) are the ones doing the buying ! When are these company's going to learn !! The folk's in the 50's and 60's are the one's with the money. Riding motorcycles is my hobby !! And I have payed my dues. I still have my right to ride anything that I want !! Let me decide DUDE !! Not someone barely out of collage. Oh well, I just plan on riding for as long as the Lord Jesus lets me !!!
RIDE-ON people !!!!! RIDE-ON.............

God Bless...


Jayimpalaman
 
Easy Jayimpalaman... relax... your blood pressure's rising. If I were you, I'd stay out of that dealership. Besides, who wants to ride a bike with fenders that cover 1/2 of the front wheel anyway. Talk about retro...that's retro back to my dads generation and I'm 59! Seriously, the industry needs to develop bikes that will bring the younger generation into the sport. They, and beleive it or not, the auto industry have a real problem right now because all the millenials seem to want to do is stay home and play video games or mess around on their iPhones. Seriously. I'm glad we have our CB's, our KLR's, and yes for me...some of our Harley's. But sport bikes and anything that brings the 'younguns' in is fine with me. But you're right... they need to keep the insults to themselves.
 
I'd bet the guys who buy Indians are the same demographics as the guys who buy CB1100s
 
The ferret_imp said:
I'd bet the guys who buy Indians are the same demographics as the guys who buy CB1100s
I bet that's true. Although the Scout probably has a younger (and more female) demographic, and is more of a true competitor to the CB1100, at least price wise. I can't ever imagine choosing a Scout over a CB1100, unless you just have to have a very low seat height and like that foot forward riding position -- which I don't.

I'm kind of a smart a** and would've fired back at that dealer "You trying to earn my business by insulting me and my motorcycle? Not a real good sales strategy, fella."
 
Jay, meant to ask about the pic of the GS 750T. Nice bike.
 
My guess is a lot of the young people just don't have the ability to buy motorcycles. They are just not as well off on average as we were. In my experience they are less interested in vehicles compared to us.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I would have said something along the lines of, "Yeah, it's kind of tough when a Japanese motorcycle company has been in business longer than Indian"...:dodgy:
 
I test rode 2 different chief's and I will tell you this it is the biggest heaviest rattle trap of a bike that I have ever ridden,and the throttle lag is the worst ever.The bike is a total POS and I would never even consider buying one! Harley is a way better bike in that class of bikes,not even a contest and our CB's are in a class all their own:thumbsup:
 
Most of us CB riders ARE older.

So are most Indian riders.

When I turned 50, I decided that I would not consider it an insult to be called "old". It's way more complimentary than being called "dead" and my lack of a reaction when he calls me "old man", confuses my son. ;)
 
I will be 69 years old in a couple of months and started riding motorcycles in '66. I have never seen an Indian motorcycle during my first 23 years of riding, so I would assume those attracted to them would be much older than me.

I saw lots of Japanese inline fours during those years though. That is why the CB1100 appeals to me.
 
I'm not old ... Rocky's old :rofl:
 
I've stopped correcting people who call me Sir or Mr. "last name", I figure after 50+ years...it's OK now. Although I still feel like I'm 20 in my mind.
I still have troubles getting my wife to call me Sir though.....
 
Elipten_imp said:
My guess is a lot of the young people just don't have the ability to buy motorcycles. They are just not as well off on average as we were. In my experience they are less interested in vehicles compared to us.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Elipten, there are two different points in this post. One—young people today don't have the money to buy motor cycles. Two—they're less interested in vehicles.

Both are probably true, but they're quite different reasons for young people,not getting into riding.
 
Elipten_imp said:
My guess is a lot of the young people just don't have the ability to buy motorcycles. They are just not as well off on average as we were. In my experience they are less interested in vehicles compared to us.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I agree.
My kids, both 20 somethings, are definitely not interested in cars, but only think of them as a ride to work. My son was a terrific dirt rider but lost interest. He does show a little interest in street motorcycles but says our area (NY/NJ Metro) is too crazy to ride a bike. He's probably smarter than I am.
 
Motorcycles are interesting, especially when it comes to demographics. I know 70 year olds with sport bikes and 25 year olds with '60's Brit bikes. Average age, like all averages, can be tricky. If Bill Gates walks in to a room of 10 McDonald's workers, their average income is $6 billion/ year....
 
Not much stings more than a sincere, well intentioned "sir" from an attractive, younger stranger. Not much is as frightening as a, "You, sir..." from the lips of my wife, as she holds a list of things around the house that need fixing just as I plop down on the couch to enjoy a Saturday morning.

Funny how I find it refreshing and admirable when it's directed at someone else my age.
Oh, and Phanatic, you just may be the youngest person on this forum! Welcome. While you're up, would you mind handing me my reading glasses? They're right there next to my walker.
 
Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan is attributed with the following quote: ‘You’re entitled to your opinion, but you’re not entitled to your own facts.’

~ The Bee
 
Back
Top