Walworth The Trip

emptysea

Road warrior
Thread starter
It's been a long "off" season.

Sure, I was able to continue my run of consecutive months that included motorcycling, but -24f in January, 4" of snow on the last day of April, and various and sundry other weather phenomenon, disproportionately striking on weekends, restricted my riding days to a mere handful since last Christmas. Then the text from Cheryl on May 3rd, "What are your riding plans for Sunday? I'd like to get out and ride". Her short note not only told me that the she wanted to ride, always good news, but implied that the forecast was for morning temps on that Sunday be at or above her magic number of 50. Yeah, yeah. I know. "She's missing out on so much riding".... "I thought she was tougher than that" ... "In Canada, we call that 'summer'". Thing is, that she'll ride when it's colder if she has to, but she wants to be comfortable. I don't want to ride with anyone who isn't comfortable.

We now had a riding date in need of a destination. I knew she didn't want to venture too far afield this being her first ride in 5 or 6 months.

"I know a restaurant, Sammy's on the Square, in Walworth that's not too far"
"Isn't Walworth where we stop for ice cream on rides?"
"Yes, Meggy Moo's, but a. they probably aren't open for the season and b. I was thinking breakfast"
"No, Sammy's is fine. It's supposed to be 50 by 8:00."
"Done"

I plotted out a non-highway route, made sure both bikes were ready to go; air, oil, fuel, cranking power. They're Hondas so yes, everything was just fine.

She started out with her heated gear. I opted for a fleece and a wind layer under my spanking new Olympia Dallas mesh jacket (review coming). Off we headed into the bright Illinois sky.

9717b9b22c59600ad1977237709600cd.jpg


My lanyard camera did not work for most of the day. Still not sure why, but I was able to take some pictures from the bike after breakfast. I will have to keep an eye on that. Could be something wrong with the flash card -- it may have taken a trip through the washing machine a few weeks ago (ssshhh). The late snowfall and the copious amounts of rain following it turned fields into ponds and ponds into lakes. Readers will have to use their imaginations, though.

Made it to Sammy's by about 10:00. The restaurant is on the town square (thus the name). Wisconsin towns more often than not, have town squares. County seats usually have their courthouse in the middle of the square, but most squares are a lawn with benches and the occasional statue, monument, or gazebo. Many towns in many states and countries have town squares, but there seems to be a wonderful concentration of them in Wisconsin, hanging on through traffic changes and other development, to remind us of days gone by.



66f65a31f2adb41a2240313369410bf5.jpg


ec1f2273a340bb3e41b661f3139fd2a8.jpg


e66773d62b4526a752a8127339b414fa.jpg


I had the breakfast special consisting of 2 eggs, Swedish pancakes and sausage. Cheryl had the 2x2x2. Delicious. We're both now on guilt-fueled diets.

34b1c7d97bc004cb13908d2e9ee6e6c8.jpg


After breakfast, we jettisoned our insulation layers. It was nearly 70 and wound up hitting 75 or so by the time we got home. Just the prefect day for riding.

We took a roundabout route home, but stopped at Moraine Hills State Park, a place we have passed many times, but never visited. That was our loss as this is a beautiful and expansive park located just barely on the Illinois side of the state line. We walked a little to shed a few breakfast calories and sat on a small dock and just admired the beauty of this Sunday in May.

42d7deea1c0d61c19d2b564a1a40047f.jpg


9aead68b4f7d2f4a80481e3b18721163.jpg


598ce269207da66d8e835e58f23bfb03.jpg


77b43ecbf7b652323cfb40ffe84965dc.jpg


71a5b7346257f4e6964c45f186891653.jpg


7ec21d7ddad2b8dfcf69cc55d338cb80.jpg


We returned home early enough to get a few things done in the yard. Translation: I smoked a cigar and had a cocktail and Cheryl picked some weeds from the garden. Then we watched our Cubs beat the Cardinals 13-5.

From the departure temperature to the game's final score and the 170 miles in between added up to a marvelous first real ride of 2019. Well worth the wait.
 
What an excellent report, EmptySea. Thank you.
 
There's that smiling face :hello: Hi Cheryl

Looks like a great day afield Sea!
 
Great write-up, MTC!

How does Cheryl avoid the dreaded "helmet hair"? Not that I'm asking (I've buggerall hair to worry about) but it might help Maggie.
 
Wow, what a grand day out! So much life lived by just grasping and appreciating the everyday splendor of the world around us.
 
Thread starter
Bazbro_imp said:
Great write-up, MTC!

How does Cheryl avoid the dreaded "helmet hair"? Not that I'm asking (I've buggerall hair to worry about) but it might help Maggie.
She went with the short hair cut you see precisely for motorcycling. It’s really short on the sides which I think helps. She just tussles it up with her fingers and is good to go.
GoldOxide_imp said:
LongRanger_imp said:
That's my idea of the perfect Sunday, though I'm at a loss when it comes to Swedish pancakes. What are those?
Swedish crepes?

Maybe Ikea sells them. :)
Swedish crepes?

Maybe Ikea sells them. :)
More like a crepe, but thicker. They may call them something different elsewhere, particularly in Sweden, but they’re called Swedish pancakes in this part of the US. I googled the term and they’re a thing. Honest.

Since the do not require user assembly, I don’t think IKEA is allowed to sell them.
The ferret_imp said:
There's that smiling face :hello: Hi Cheryl

Looks like a great day afield Sea!
Cheryl says hi back at ya
 
Back
Top