Volunteer to help new member in So Cal?

Ferret I agree makes no sense at all we both have the same bikes and each of us pick different ones to ease of center stands. If my cb1100 had the handle I could throw it around lol. The handle makes my ST a breeze. The 750 still makes me cry about center stand I even told my wife about the 750 she said you use to do it as a kid all the time lol.
Michael
 
The only two bikes I've ever owned, a '76 Kawa KZ750 and now the DLX, both have center stands and I would say that they're fairly comparable in terms of difficulty. Putting the KZ on its center stand scared the hell outta me at first, but once I'd done it a few times and got the technique down, it was not an issue at all. The CB feels fairly similar in this regard... if anything, it's a bit easier.
 
Tortuga_imp said:
I just don't get it. Easy peasey. I'm going to buy a video camera so I can make some basic videos.
There's at least one video on the matter posted by the redoubtable Ferret in this thread, Put bike on centerstand.

I'm a little bloke (about 165 pounds) and I can do it without any trouble. The only thing I can think of is that it's a technique thing: until you get it it's impossible; once you do, you'll never understand how you couldn't do it.

Wish I could be more helpful.
 
Houtman_imp said:
I often think about how long I will keep riding my bikes.
This year I will be 64 and I have no problem putting my CB1000 and CB1100 on the center stand.
Today I decided that I will give up riding when I can no longer put a motorcycle on its center stand.
Hopefully this will be many years away.
Mate, take some fatherly advice from an old bloke. Don't make promises you may not want to keep. Maybe you should pad that out to "When I can't get my motorcycle of its side stand". Or even, "When I don't remember where I left my motorcycle".

Yeh, apart from multi-story car parks at mega-markets (where I already have an "issue") that last one sounds like my style :)

Cheers

Wait! What about, "Do I own a motorcycle?".
 
Thread starter
I once said the day I could no longer kickstart my own bike, I would have someone else start it then I would take it and run it into a bridge abutment someplace.

I was young and foolish when I said that.

I too will be 64 next month and am so thankful they took kickstarters off of modern motorcycles..they probably saved my life. :D
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Tortuga_imp said:
I just don't get it. Easy peasey. I'm going to buy a video camera so I can make some basic videos.
There's at least one video on the matter posted by the redoubtable Ferret in this thread, Put bike on centerstand.

I'm a little bloke (about 165 pounds) and I can do it without any trouble. The only thing I can think of is that it's a technique thing: until you get it it's impossible; once you do, you'll never understand how you couldn't do it.

Wish I could be more helpful.
There's at least one video on the matter posted by the redoubtable Ferret in this thread, Put bike on centerstand.

I'm a little bloke (about 165 pounds) and I can do it without any trouble. The only thing I can think of is that it's a technique thing: until you get it it's impossible; once you do, you'll never understand how you couldn't do it.

Wish I could be more helpful.
I think the idea of someone actually doing a video with the cb1100 is the point we are getting at. I see plenty of videos with other bikes but have not seen one with the cb1100. I believe ferrets video is a dual sort bike off some sorts?

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
I often think about how long I will keep riding my bikes.
This year I will be 64 and I have no problem putting my CB1000 and CB1100 on the center stand.
Today I decided that I will give up riding when I can no longer put a motorcycle on its center stand.
Hopefully this will be many years away.
Mate, take some fatherly advice from an old bloke. Don't make promises you may not want to keep. Maybe you should pad that out to "When I can't get my motorcycle of its side stand". Or even, "When I don't remember where I left my motorcycle".

Yeh, apart from multi-story car parks at mega-markets (where I already have an "issue") that last one sounds like my style :)

Cheers

Wait! What about, "Do I own a motorcycle?".
Mate, take some fatherly advice from an old bloke. Don't make promises you may not want to keep. Maybe you should pad that out to "When I can't get my motorcycle of its side stand". Or even, "When I don't remember where I left my motorcycle".

Yeh, apart from multi-story car parks at mega-markets (where I already have an "issue") that last one sounds like my style :)

Cheers

Wait! What about, "Do I own a motorcycle?". Talking about forgetting things :

Did you know that Easter is the best day of the year for people with Alzheimer ?

They can hide their own Easter eggs !
 
I weigh about 225 (before 12 Buffalo wings and a lb. of fries) and have no problems getting the bike on the center stand now but did when I first tried. Almost effortless now that I figured out to use my weight more than my arms. My 130 lb 14 yr old son can do it quite easily now too...
 
As far as getting old and not being able to do things, it all depends on what kinds of injuries you sustain over the years, or what kind of medical conditions crop up. I twisted the crap out of my back whilst barrelling around in the desert and it's a mess. If I take care of it, and avoid trying to be a tough guy, it serves me pretty well (rotator cuffs took a hell of beating, too). If I screw around trying to lift things that I could get help with or just take a pass on, it lets me know.

Continuing to do things we like to do well into our later years has everything to do with taking care of our health. It would seem that I can ride a sport bike about as well as I ever could, but I've given up the dirt riding, since the repeated impacts on the spine and joints are anathema to a pain-free life.

When I was 14, I weighed about 135, and I could buck 94-pound bags of cement all day long and I did so, along with hay bales, bags of feed, and sundry other very heavy items. I was made of spring steel; I won the pushup contest at high school, beating the coach's son, which explains why the coach let the big kids push me around until I threw one of them into a wall, and they decided that this little bastard wasn't worth the trouble.

All that was a long time ago. We want to keep riding, we've got to strategize, using brains rather than brawn. There's plenty of guys out there who've had to quit altogether because of blown disk, a wrecked hip joint, torn rotator cuffs, trashed knees, busted ankles...use technology to your advantage and you can keep riding for a long time.
 
I'm 6' and about 170-175 lbs., so not exactly the linebacker type. I guess that what I lack in bulk I make up in height/leverage!
While this isn't the easiest bike I've ever owned to pull up onto its centrestand, it's far from the hardest.
Oddly, my recently departed FZ1 was worlds easier onto the 'stand. The Bonneville I have now is like a scooter in that respect, too.
 
Thread starter
I thought I was going to throw my 2000 Honda 750 Nighthawk backwards out of the garage the first time I popped that baby up on the center stand. Wish they all went up that easy.
 
Back
Top