Volunteer to help new member in So Cal?

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
Anyone in San Diego? New guy in centerstand thread needs someone to show him how. Dealer couldn't help him ( do you believe that! Geesh ) Anyhow, he dropped his new bike in the garage attempting it. Need a volunteer to give some instruction.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Anyone in San Diego? New guy in centerstand thread needs someone to show him how. Dealer couldn't help him ( do you believe that! Geesh ) Anyhow, he dropped his new bike in the garage attempting it. Need a volunteer to give some instruction.
have him PM me I will tell him my phone number
 
Ferret: my 78. 750 is hard for me to get on the center stand. My cb1100 just pops rite up on it. My st1300 is the easiest it has a pull out handle. I jumps up on better than my cb1100 I'm small frame guy about 140 lbs. if the new guy learns the correct way to do it he will be able to learn I have seen several people drop them. I have been lucky all my life and never dropped one but I know it can happen even to me. It's a art not about strength just knowing the correct way. I put all my bikes on center stand every time I fill up with gas.
Michael
 
I know this has been discussed a lot, but I thought I would chime in on what works for me. Please understand I have my weight as an advantage when popping my baby up on the centerstand. So as the bike is sitting on the sidestand I place my left hand on the left grip, my right hand on the left grab rail along the seat. I place my right foot on the centerstand tab, as the center stand touches the ground I level the bike and add more weight on my right foot on the centerstand tab. This will actual hold the bike level as both legs of the centerstand hold the bike (as long as you keep weight on the tab). I then stand all my weight on the centerstand tab and lift slightly with my right hand on the grab rail and "POP" she's up on the center stand. In years past I use to wrestle with the bike trying to yank it back and pulling and lifting and hurting my back. I think the trick is to stand all your weight on the centerstand tab as you level the bike. You have to make sure both legs of the centerstand are on the ground as you add all your weight, if the bike is leaning off level it will pop up on the stand but it will be difficult. Again this is only my 2 cents, but I hope it helps. Ride Safe. :biker:
 
+1 for Gingersdaddy

Thats how I do it and I only weigh about 150 dressed. Pops right up.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Anyone in San Diego? New guy in centerstand thread needs someone to show him how. Dealer couldn't help him ( do you believe that! Geesh ) Anyhow, he dropped his new bike in the garage attempting it. Need a volunteer to give some instruction.
Wouldn't that be one for the How-to Section in this forum?
How to centerstand your CB1100 without embarrassing moments. Video inside!
 
There a a number of vids on Youtube on this subject. The link below helped me understand the basics. The single most important element is that both center stand feet must be on the ground before you attempt to transition the bike to the center stand. If only one foot of the stand is touching, the task becomes exponentially more difficult. This video also touches on the points on where to place your hands and how to leverage the bike. I completely understand and feel for the rider in So Cal. The first few times putting a bike this heavy on the center stand is very intimidating.

 
I took the thing off and use a Pitbull rear stand. Old discs which was subject to being smashed up while riding dirtbikes don't like the CB1100's centerstand.
 
Seems like if a fellow had a person stand on the opposite side of the bike (just for insurance) and followed the instructions offered in this thread it would be all that would be necessary. Stand on the tab once the bike is centered right to left and pull up on the grab rail with the right hand letting your weight do most all of the work.

My thoughts are if this is challenging perhaps the bike is just to large for that particular rider? It does take some moxie to move bikes over 500cc around in the garage. That's why I am moving to smaller stuff but honestly the CB1100 is pretty easy to pop up on the stand.
 
I often think about how long I will keep riding my bikes.
This year I will be 64 and I have no problem putting my CB1000 and CB1100 on the center stand.
Today I decided that I will give up riding when I can no longer put a motorcycle on its center stand.
Hopefully this will be many years away.
 
Interesting decision point. Mine will more than likely be around vision - been wearing glasses since age 5. Everything is correctable now but who knows what my eyesight will be like 15 years from now (I'm almost 51.) I think that when I can't wear contacts anymore I'll be done.
 
Maybe someone with a cb1100 should do a video putting our bike on the center stand? Or have several people of varying sizes do it?

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Ridem..I have jacked literally tens of thousands of bikes on their centerstands (worked in the motorcycle industry 17 years) and I know you said your ST 1300 is easy for you, but for me it's the single hardest bike I have ever attempted to put on a centerstand. I say attempted because sometimes I just can not do it. If it needs to go on the centerstand, if I don't get it up on the first or second try, I made a wedge shaped piece of wood I keeping the trunk I run it up on backwards to give me a little extra leverage.

The CB 1100 practically leaps onto it's center stand in comparison.
 
Ferret my ST is easier than my CB1100 but I have gotten better with the CB1100. My CB 750. 78 model is hard as heck most of the time with my 750 I get my son to help me. When I was. 15 I had a. 75 750 I only weighed 115lbs and I could put it on center stand with ease. My ST 1300 is a 2012 model it has a fold out handle and the handle makes for a very very easy lift. I'm about 5 ft. 8 weigh about 150 lbs now. When I got the ST I thought it would be very hard to put on stand but it's my easiest bike to do. Does yours have the fold out handle?
Michael
 
The ferret_imp said:
Ridem..I have jacked literally tens of thousands of bikes on their centerstands (worked in the motorcycle industry 17 years) and I know you said your ST 1300 is easy for you, but for me it's the single hardest bike I have ever attempted to put on a centerstand. I say attempted because sometimes I just can not do it. If it needs to go on the centerstand, if I don't get it up on the first or second try, I made a wedge shaped piece of wood I keeping the trunk I run it up on backwards to give me a little extra leverage.

The CB 1100 practically leaps onto it's center stand in comparison.
:-/
Ridem32_imp said:
Ferret my ST is easier than my CB1100 but I have gotten better with the CB1100. My CB 750. 78 model is hard as heck most of the time with my 750 I get my son to help me. When I was. 15 I had a. 75 750 I only weighed 115lbs and I could put it on center stand with ease. My ST 1300 is a 2012 model it has a fold out handle and the handle makes for a very very easy lift. I'm about 5 ft. 8 weigh about 150 lbs now. When I got the ST I thought it would be very hard to put on stand but it's my easiest bike to do. Does yours have the fold out handle?
Michael
:-/:-/

Just goes to show when one guy says the CB1100 is easy as pie, and the ST1300 is the hardest bike ever (I've been reading The Ferret's comments on the ST1300's centerstand for some time now), and another says just the opposite...that's your subjectivity coming into it.

Well, both those bikes are serious pigs to get on the mainstand compared to some.

The deal with using a Pitbull or similar stand is that, while it is more troublesome in some respects (and easier to do with some help, but this is by no means necessary), we are pulling UP on the bike to pop it on to the centerstand, which can tweak back muscles and rupture disks. OTOH, to use a rear swingarm stand, one pushes DOWN on the stand, which causes virtually no strain to the back muscles at all. And the bike can be moved around whilst on the rear stand.

Like the centerstand, using a rear stand take some practice.
 
Thread starter
Ridem32_imp said:
Ferret my ST is easier than my CB1100 but I have gotten better with the CB1100. My CB 750. 78 model is hard as heck most of the time with my 750 I get my son to help me. When I was. 15 I had a. 75 750 I only weighed 115lbs and I could put it on center stand with ease. My ST 1300 is a 2012 model it has a fold out handle and the handle makes for a very very easy lift. I'm about 5 ft. 8 weigh about 150 lbs now. When I got the ST I thought it would be very hard to put on stand but it's my easiest bike to do. Does yours have the fold out handle?
Michael
Yes, left hand side in above/in front of the saddlebag. All STs are basically the same from 2003 to 2014. I have had the bike 6 years and it has always been a beast to get up. If I am out alone I just use the side stand. Jeezalou I can't imagine having a rear flat and having to get that beast on the centerstand.
Red Mist_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Ridem..I have jacked literally tens of thousands of bikes on their centerstands (worked in the motorcycle industry 17 years) and I know you said your ST 1300 is easy for you, but for me it's the single hardest bike I have ever attempted to put on a centerstand. I say attempted because sometimes I just can not do it. If it needs to go on the centerstand, if I don't get it up on the first or second try, I made a wedge shaped piece of wood I keeping the trunk I run it up on backwards to give me a little extra leverage.

The CB 1100 practically leaps onto it's center stand in comparison.
:-/
Ridem32_imp said:
Ferret my ST is easier than my CB1100 but I have gotten better with the CB1100. My CB 750. 78 model is hard as heck most of the time with my 750 I get my son to help me. When I was. 15 I had a. 75 750 I only weighed 115lbs and I could put it on center stand with ease. My ST 1300 is a 2012 model it has a fold out handle and the handle makes for a very very easy lift. I'm about 5 ft. 8 weigh about 150 lbs now. When I got the ST I thought it would be very hard to put on stand but it's my easiest bike to do. Does yours have the fold out handle?
Michael
:-/:-/

Just goes to show when one guy says the CB1100 is easy as pie, and the ST1300 is the hardest bike ever (I've been reading The Ferret's comments on the ST1300's centerstand for some time now), and another says just the opposite...that's your subjectivity coming into it.

Well, both those bikes are serious pigs to get on the mainstand compared to some.

The deal with using a Pitbull or similar stand is that, while it is more troublesome in some respects (and easier to do with some help, but this is by no means necessary), we are pulling UP on the bike to pop it on to the centerstand, which can tweak back muscles and rupture disks. OTOH, to use a rear swingarm stand, one pushes DOWN on the stand, which causes virtually no strain to the back muscles at all. And the bike can be moved around whilst on the rear stand.

Like the centerstand, using a rear stand take some practice.
I know Red Mist.... makes no sense does it? :dodgy:

BTW it's not so much a pulling up when putting the bike on the centerstand either, it's pushing the centerstand down. Very little pulling involved or at least there should be very little pulling involved. It's mostly body weight pushing the stand down, and the hands guiding it into position.

I need/want my centerstands out on the road for emergencies, and prefer them at home for maintenance.
 
Back
Top