Vololights: Enhanced Motorcycle Visibility by Vectolabs, LLC

Huladog_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Stumbled across this today while browsing through Flipboard. A Kickstarter project for a new kind of LED add-on for motorcycle brake lights.

Go here to check out what they're doing and how their lights work:

"Vololights' patented technology combines a 3 axis accelerometer and microprocessor to measure your deceleration from any means; whether engine braking, downshifting or gripping the brakes."

Vololights

I have nothing to do with this outfit but thought it was innovative enough to kick in my $79.00.

Aloha,
Huladog
 
GREAT idea, I was just thinking of that while riding tonight! Sometimes I almost come to a complete stop without touching my brakes, by gears alone. So what I do, is tap my brake levers just to warn those behind me. So if this product works as expected, I would like it.
 
Back in the early 80's there was a similar product. It was a long rectangular box mounted either above or below the licence plate with an array of yellow lights that would flash based on input from the accelerometer. It did get your attention but I can tell you from experience that it drove me crazy riding behind a friend for some time on mountain roads. Perhaps its suitability will be determined by the kind of riding and with whom you ride. For some riders, commuters for example, it should help alert drivers to your presence.
 
Flynbulldog_imp said:
a similar product is already on the market from vizi tec
http://www.vizi-tec.com/brake-light-modulator/
Unless I don't understand it, this product simply adjusts the flashing property under continuous brake usage, the other product flashes under deceleration, regardless of whether that deceleration occurs as the result of applying the brakes or engine braking.
I might be willing to donate if I understood what happens if they don't meet their goal. Do you get your money back?
 
oldgoat01_imp said:
Flynbulldog_imp said:
a similar product is already on the market from vizi tec
http://www.vizi-tec.com/brake-light-modulator/
Unless I don't understand it, this product simply adjusts the flashing property under continuous brake usage, the other product flashes under deceleration, regardless of whether that deceleration occurs as the result of applying the brakes or engine braking.
I might be willing to donate if I understood what happens if they don't meet their goal. Do you get your money back?
Unless I don't understand it, this product simply adjusts the flashing property under continuous brake usage, the other product flashes under deceleration, regardless of whether that deceleration occurs as the result of applying the brakes or engine braking.
I might be willing to donate if I understood what happens if they don't meet their goal. Do you get your money back?
No vizi tec light will also flash under decel without using the brake (at least that is what I was told)

(Edit) I just went back and reread the features; don't see accelerometer on there so I must have been wrong about this product from the beginning.
Either way it is similar and I can see advantages to both.
 
Thread starter
"I might be willing to donate if I understood what happens if they don't meet their goal. Do you get your money back?"

Yep, you're charged IF they make the goal by their deadline. If they don't make the goal I guess you don't get charged.

Not quite a "donation" since you get the product at their stated price if they make the goal. Retail price might be higher through retail channels.


Mahalo,
Huladog
 
What the heck. Small business and entrepreneurs really are one of the underpinnings of this country. I'm in. (Besides, I rely on engine braking quite a bit so I would use the product). Although, I think it is doubtful that they will make their goal. (And yes, if they don't make the goal, the project isn't funded and you are not charged)
 
Thread starter
Well the Kickstarter project managed to get funded after all! I have admit it didn't look like there would be enough people kicking in a few bucks but they made it so the project will be produced.

Aloha,
Huladog
 
Huladog_imp said:
Well the Kickstarter project managed to get funded after all! I have admit it didn't look like there would be enough people kicking in a few bucks but they made it so the project will be produced.

Aloha,
Huladog
Yep. I hope it really is a plug 'n' play situation. Ten years from now, when they are the next Apple, you and I will be able to say we saw the revolution before it happened. Hmm maybe I shouldn't have used the 'r' word, probably got picked up by one of the gov't email scanners :D
 
I purchased one of the Vololights and would like to know if anyone else on this forum has installed one of these. To me, electricity is magic. I know that wires must be connected, just don't know which ones. I watched the video and it looks simple, if you have the same setup as the video. I don't. The vololight needs to be connected to the light that illuminates the license plate. For us, that is the same bulb that acts as brake light. We just have a clear portion of the lens. Looks like more wires are needed. Probably a source of power from battery, and some sort of relay to be able to shut it off when the key is off. Anyway,,,,,HELP! The more detailed the explanation, the better. Thanks guys, Sean
 
your rear tail lite bulb contains two filaments. the tail lite(running lite) filament powers up(illuminates) when you turn your keyswitch to the on position. you bikes red tail lite lens is illuminated and the bottom side of the lens(clear) illuminates the license plate. the black/brown wire color in the tail lite harness is the wire that carries the 12 volt current to the tail lite filament. the current stops when you turn your keyswitch to the off position. the green wire in the tail lite harness is system ground wire. I would assume these would be the needed wires to complete the installation of this product.
the green/yellow wire in the tail lite harness carries 12 volt current from the front or rear stop lite switches to illuminate the brighter stop lite filament of the same stop/tail bulb. both wire colors do not carry 12 volt current with the keyswitch in the off position.
questions? just ask your fellow forum members here.
Paul.
 
Do you know how to install this on the CTX700? The license plate light is enclosed. Dealer willing to try but will cost heavy $. Also, will this void my warranty on the new bike? Any help would be great.
 
Back
Top