Vintage Iron

Razor

Been there
Thread starter
Still waiting for my CB... so thought posting another project might help.

I'm retired and have done some projects for others in the past. This was for a friend of a friend. Took me a little over a year.

Just off the trailer. Owner thought he had a real gem.
1966 HD FLH
da6323fd7c3ff1181151bb62708ed88a.jpg


After disassembly, plenty of opportunities. I have nothing against Harley Davidsons, but seems like every past owner had their own take on modifications, fixes & special touches.
69b30d2344d81688f3cc5fabd24a9427.jpg


There was body filler everywhere, hiding precious treasures
753321312cd765b3317976f17102cfb4.jpg


Engine tear down
5f337ed804d34e1b9ef22ed40107deb2.jpg


Going back together
64c0cac73dd45143b004246e5df75ad4.jpg


Close up of engine serial#, these are getting rare.
1bf71922ed46da0cff7721962ad20fe8.jpg


Final pics
c34cc6563ce7a19ab3acbe6b932f79ef.jpg


"Pogo stick" seat was very comfortable. Combo of seven springs, which matched the drivers weight.
30ee3e45a6265b369c6fffa4344fd891.jpg


9d8dd529df9e9e29a1148f5ac03a89c8.jpg


6a3a95bf3714855afe017a945c86e607.jpg
 
Nice resto job. Did you do the paint work on the fenders too?

Now how about some pics of the early Wing in the background. Looks perfect.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Nice resto job. Did you do the paint work on the fenders too?

Now how about some pics of the early Wing in the background. Looks perfect.
+1 to everything that Ferret said. That old Harley has come back to life and looks fabulous. And yes, more info on the 4cyl Gold Wing. One of my favorites.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Nice resto job. Did you do the paint work on the fenders too?

Now how about some pics of the early Wing in the background. Looks perfect.
Thanks. The paint color/scheme was picked by the owner. He had them painted by a friend.

'77 GoldWing is one I picked up about three years ago. Sat in a hanger, partially covered for 27yrs. Pretty much every coolant seal & gasket was shot. Carbs needed work, and many hours in cleaning. It's another blast from the past. Had a new one back in the day. Wasn't looking to buy it, but couldn't get over how smooth it was.

Here's a few pics
7ea200f2536bd6bc89b867fc74d2ebc3.jpg


Trusty polishing wheel... I hate polishing, dirty, messy. Wife says I look like a raccoon afterwards :-/
777e58963fb12bb6b0d5932a6b5f8b99.jpg


13f7b1e8c48adb04cce1b88910d22d4b.jpg


8e773e6a4f41e34621c7f0a860efb807.jpg


30b4d176d245061f2f592c4b7ba7b64d.jpg
 
Wow, you do nice work. I always hated polishing too, you are right, dirty messy job.

It amazes me when I look at the f brake master cyl on that wing, and some of the thimble master cyl cups on new sport bikes with 5 times the braking power lol
 
Beautiful!

Do you ever sleep?
 
I need a friend like you, would you like to be my friend and work on my bikes when you are bored?
We will feed and water you.
 
I know this is a honda forum. But that Harley is the real motorcycle. You did a great job :). Those Harley's where very simple bikes and very long lived!
 
Thread starter
Thanks again. May sound odd, but I really enjoy the work.

Cormanus_imp said:
Beautiful!

Do you ever sleep?
Yes, sleeping isn't a problem. Just ask my wife. She claims I can zonk out pretty much anytime & anywhere.

I see your Rune lurking in the background there. I like it!

800+lb beast. It's a bit to handle at slow speeds & turns, but once underway... it's a blast.
eea254e66163159089db307487831eae.jpg

Probably already went overboard on posting projects & bikes, but if there's interest; be glad to share the latest project (1972 CB350 Cafe).
 
Mate, share away. Your work is a pleasure to behold.
 
Overboard? Nonsense... keep them coming! Around here we love pictures, we love motorcycles, and we love vintage. Same interest I suppose. Not all of us have the skill set you display in your work. Last year I attempted to repair a 1983 Magna. Had difficulty with a stuck and stubborn water pump, ended up cracking the engine block. My solution to it was to buy a CB11. Needless to say, the bike is still waiting for me. Just give me some pictures, a story, and a cup of coffee and I will be a happy reader.
I admire your work. :thumbsup:
 
Would you mind describing how you polished those covers like that? I want to be able to do the same but I have no experience/ knowledge

Thanks

Pete
 
Thread starter
Hi Pete, start by accessing the condition of the parts you want to polish. In my case; the PO had a thing for chrome plating, which time had worked its magic on.

Had to bead blast the chrome off.
803827684d8981305209b21772ada08c.jpg


Most parts will need to be sanded to relieve imperfections. Start was 240 grit, and work your way to 800 or even 1000. The smoother the surface, the easier and less time on the polishing wheel.

Here the same intake runner just starting with the 240 sandpaper
e5eb77767dae5d3259ca187659bd6844.jpg


I used my 1hp bench grinder to attach a cotton polishing wheel. Rouges come in various grits. I like to start with the brown, and finish with white. Keep in mind the wheel loves to test you, so keep a good grip and watch your angles.

There's about two hours of work into the intake runners.
d93d9b85cad4cd2b5c2dd0499a3d2595.jpg


Good luck. Let me know if you have any questions.
 
Back
Top