VINTAGE HONDAS

Nortoon_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
One of my favourite summertime events is the Vintage Motorcycle Show. It was a bit a of a let down this year as there were no BSAs. The only Norton Commando was in the parking lot. Lots of Turnips though.

I picked a few of the Hondas there starting with a CB900F Super Sport in the parking lot.


1968 (wet) Dream as they were called here.


1972 CB750 with custom metal flake paint. The owner also has a Yamaha XS1100 which he rides regularly. BTW although the seat it tall, it is harder than ours.


1976 400 Four


Just for a change a 1957 Ariel Square Four
 
Thread starter
The CVMG Ottawa Division show was today July 7th in a village called Oxford Mills southwest of Ottawa.

The National Canadian Vintage Motorcycle Group show was held in mid-June in Paris, Ontario.

There is a 5 minute video on their website that will give you a glimpse of what went on.
https://www.cvmg.ca/ParisRally
 
have you ever noticed most of the old Honda's have never been rebuilt and still do not smoke ? even with all the years of poor maintenance , left outside and probably few oil changes they still are wonderful machines .
one of the 1500 Goldwings the next town over has 437,000 miles and still running fine. always quality machines and i was lucky to own and ride them all the way back to the Honda CA110 Sport 50 and its push rod brother the 90 - before the Super 90 OHC

some eye candy from a bike show i attended
 
Been walking past my CB77 for a few months without riding it. Took it for a 40 mile ride and that was about all my body could take. I got more work to do on it, accelerates great, but is rough when slowing down or cruising. Since it stalled at this intersection, I pushed it to the sign and got this picture.
1468b03a99886eba5f921487a05060ea.jpg
 
use2b_imp said:
have you ever noticed most of the old Honda's have never been rebuilt and still do not smoke ? even with all the years of poor maintenance , left outside and probably few oil changes they still are wonderful machines .
one of the 1500 Goldwings the next town over has 437,000 miles and still running fine. always quality machines and i was lucky to own and ride them all the way back to the Honda CA110 Sport 50 and its push rod brother the 90 - before the Super 90 OHC

some eye candy from a bike show i attended
Eight Hondas and none let me down, other than drowning my new 1967 CB160 in heavy rain in New Jersey.

The 1970 SL350 developed cam bearing issues, but that was after I sold it and I do not know what the next owner did (or did not do) to it.
use2b_imp said:
have you ever noticed most of the old Honda's have never been rebuilt and still do not smoke ? even with all the years of poor maintenance , left outside and probably few oil changes they still are wonderful machines .
one of the 1500 Goldwings the next town over has 437,000 miles and still running fine. always quality machines and i was lucky to own and ride them all the way back to the Honda CA110 Sport 50 and its push rod brother the 90 - before the Super 90 OHC

some eye candy from a bike show i attended
I enjoyed mine in 1963, when I was 16 and it took only 50 cents to fill the tank with premium!
 
Great pics, guys. I wonder if the original owners of those bikes ever obsessed about which oil to use, or simply grabbed whatever was on the shelf and called it good. Of course, this was when oil was just oil and gasoline had lead. "Would you like some STP with your Havoline?"
 
LongRanger_imp said:
Great pics, guys. I wonder if the original owners of those bikes ever obsessed about which oil to use, or simply grabbed whatever was on the shelf and called it good. Of course, this was when oil was just oil and gasoline had lead. "Would you like some STP with your Havoline?"
Great looking Super hawk you have there suhawk . I am wondering if you have a timing advance problem that may need a little high quality penetrating oil , weak coils or the carbs may need to be ultrasonically cleaned and new jets ? new condenser ?

longranger i just happen to still have a rusted can of vintage STP with rusted bottom hanging around from the old days but never put any in a bike :thumbsup:

BTW - watching this now , beats anything on TV -The Story of Seventies Superbikes
 
use2b_imp said:
LongRanger_imp said:
Great pics, guys. I wonder if the original owners of those bikes ever obsessed about which oil to use, or simply grabbed whatever was on the shelf and called it good. Of course, this was when oil was just oil and gasoline had lead. "Would you like some STP with your Havoline?"
Great looking Super hawk you have there suhawk . I am wondering if you have a timing advance problem that may need a little high quality penetrating oil , weak coils or the carbs may need to be ultrasonically cleaned and new jets ? new condenser ?

longranger i just happen to still have a rusted can of vintage STP with rusted bottom hanging around from the old days but never put any in a bike :thumbsup:

BTW - watching this now , beats anything on TV -The Story of Seventies Superbikes
Great looking Super hawk you have there suhawk . I am wondering if you have a timing advance problem that may need a little high quality penetrating oil , weak coils or the carbs may need to be ultrasonically cleaned and new jets ? new condenser ?

longranger i just happen to still have a rusted can of vintage STP with rusted bottom hanging around from the old days but never put any in a bike :thumbsup:

BTW - watching this now , beats anything on TV -The Story of Seventies Superbikes
Thank for the suggestions use2b. The carbs were ultrasonicly cleaned and rebuild 2 years ago. I replaced the points this past winter. I’m thinking the condenser next. I have used coils in my spare parts box.

STP will fix any problem. I remember it poured out like molasses in January! I was dumb enough to spend money on that stuff thinking it would stop the blue oil exhaust plume coming out my Chevy Biscayne!
 
:thumbsup: I could read these pages/articles over and over again with big sentiment.
For the tech info/spec do not even have to translate it...
Thanks for sharing
 
Thread starter
I love seeing vintage motorcycles, particularly BSAs. I had a 1996 Lightning that I made into a café racer. Probably spent three times as much on fiberglass and racing parts as I did for the bike. In the late 70s I restored a 1971 BSA Lightning that had been altered into a quasi chopper.

I am a neat freak, so I seldom keep anything that I don't use. But for some strange reason I have kept a book "The Story of BSA Motorcycles" paid for in British pounds. The book has cutaway diagrams of various BSA engines. I also held onto to a 1967 BSA brochure.



 
Nortoon_imp said:
One of my favourite summertime events is the Vintage Motorcycle Show. It was a bit a of a let down this year as there were no BSAs. The only Norton Commando was in the parking lot. Lots of Turnips though.

I picked a few of the Hondas there starting with a CB900F Super Sport in the parking lot.


1968 (wet) Dream as they were called here.


1972 CB750 with custom metal flake paint. The owner also has a Yamaha XS1100 which he rides regularly. BTW although the seat it tall, it is harder than ours.


1976 400 Four


Just for a change a 1957 Ariel Square Four
Love that 400-4. Thanks for the pics!
 
Nortoon_imp said:
I love seeing vintage motorcycles, particularly BSAs. I had a 1996 Lightning that I made into a café racer. Probably spent three times as much on fiberglass and racing parts as I did for the bike. In the late 70s I restored a 1971 BSA Lightning that had been altered into a quasi chopper.

I am a neat freak, so I seldom keep anything that I don't use. But for some strange reason I have kept a book "The Story of BSA Motorcycles" paid for in British pounds. The book has cutaway diagrams of various BSA engines. I also held onto to a 1967 BSA brochure.
These are definitely nice to revisit, especially original articles.
Came across these beauties on the showroom floor this afternoon. The '76 Gold Wing is in absolute original condition. The '79 CBX had restoration work done, but is nevertheless wonderful.
 
Not just a 76 Wing but a 76 Limited Edition Wing. Even rarer

CBX's are so cool
 
Back
Top