VIBRATION - deciding too much; and living with it.

Well there you go. Work with a paint shaker all day, the CB will seem great! :D

As noted in other posts, my CB seems to be buzzy above 65mph ish, but on a recent tour that was not noticed at all.
 
What do you attribute that to Rboe? Did you keep speeds below 65? is your bike suddenly getting smoother? or if you are not looking for the buzziness it's not really noticable?
 
Ferret; I'm not really sure. When I was on the trip to Death Valley I was wearing my Road Gear pants so the thicker gear probably helped. For most of the trip the speed limits were at 65 or higher so I was not avoiding the bad rpm range.

Too many variables, as I think breaking it has something to do with it too.

But if really press my knees into the tank I can feel a good buzz at those speeds - so I avoid doing that. :)
 
Rboe_imp said:
Ferret; I'm not really sure. When I was on the trip to Death Valley I was wearing my Road Gear pants so the thicker gear probably helped. For most of the trip the speed limits were at 65 or higher so I was not avoiding the bad rpm range.

Too many variables, as I think breaking it has something to do with it too.

But if really press my knees into the tank I can feel a good buzz at those speeds - so I avoid doing that. :)
poor choice of words imo...

because don't forget, they purposly made the bike vibe in that section of the rpm range
 
I put "Grab On", I beleive that's the brand name, on my bike with good results. They're barrel shaped like '60 Triumph/BSA/Norton grips and are a dense foam type material. Got mine at the Honda dealer.
 
I have a standard 2014, six speed..I have had it up to 95 mph a time or two and there is essentially no vibration at all and rpms are very low...
 
95? LOl when I grow up I want to be like Bokobob and Rocky
 
If no one has suggested this, you might give a pair of Grip Puppies a try. They are only about 8-10 dollars or so. They fit over your current grips. They absorb a fair amount of vibration and they are great for riders with big hands. I know they will at the least help and they are only a few dollars and easy to put on.
 
Funny..I was finishing up reading the new Motorcyclist mag that came in the other day and was back to their Doin' Time section where the editors say what they had been doing to their long term test bikes since the last issue..farkles and mods etc. Mark Cook has been riding the BMW S1000XR, Beemers version of an I-4 ADV bike and his article starts off with this:

" If you're following this bike, you know the XR's tingly handgrips have been a subject of discussion since it's debut. A few owners on the S1000XR forum claim the bar vibes are a non issue, while others have struggled with it. Haters focuson tingly fingers and ignore the bikes capabilities and other attributes" and then goes on to mention the hp

"In search of a solution, I'd noticed that some owners on the forum had purchased heavier bar end weights from a company called HVPM".

so he calls up the owner and gets a pair of bar end weights 7 ounces heavier than the stock weights and claims it cured the problem by 80% (and option for CB owners that feel the vibes?)

anyhow he goes on to mention that he is getting about 2600 miles out of a set of tires and that he is on his 4th set, so I thinkhe may be riding harder than me at least since I get about 4 times that mileage out of my tires. maybe why I'm not feeling the vibes eh? lol
 
Its funny, when I got my bike I didn't know what those things on the end of the handle bars where. I took mine off and found some caps to plug the holes. I wanted to make the bike more narrow I also moved my controls in a bit. Never noticed any differenance. My bike has always felt smooth. On a side note, I did trade my Harley in on my CB.
 
I came to my CB1100 after riding a K1100RS for the last 20 years.

While the K motor is also an inline 4 (flying brick), it felt really rough compared to the CB. So for me it was a step to a much more comfortable riding experience, moving to the CB. I still enjoy the smooth run of the engine.
 
Carguy1959_imp said:
Its funny, when I got my bike I didn't know what those things on the end of the handle bars where. I took mine off and found some caps to plug the holes. I wanted to make the bike more narrow I also moved my controls in a bit. Never noticed any differenance. My bike has always felt smooth. On a side note, I did trade my Harley in on my CB.
that's funny...I didn't know either...but did leave them because I wanted a wider bar, so my grip when i ride extends a bit to the weights... Which may not be safe as I don't think they are intended for that purpose at all...:s
as far as vibration goes...have never had an issue
 
Django_imp said:
I came to my CB1100 after riding a K1100RS for the last 20 years.

While the K motor is also an inline 4 (flying brick), it felt really rough compared to the CB. So for me it was a step to a much more comfortable riding experience, moving to the CB. I still enjoy the smooth run of the engine.
darn! :thumbsup:

I hope to ride my bike at least for 20 years, if not till my pension or till I cannot physically ride a bike...
 
capttwb136_imp said:
If no one has suggested this, you might give a pair of Grip Puppies a try. They are only about 8-10 dollars or so. They fit over your current grips. They absorb a fair amount of vibration and they are great for riders with big hands. I know they will at the least help and they are only a few dollars and easy to put on.
Ditto. My bike is a little "vibey" at certain RPMs, too. I always add Grip Puppies to my bikes anyway because I like a thicker grip, but on the CB11 they gave the added result of absorbing maybe 50% of the vibes I got through the grips. Win - win.
 
Forgive my dumb question but what diameter "Grip Puppies" are recommended for the CB?

Thanks...

(I don't have "big hands" but I do have long fingers.)
 
Back
Top