VIBRATION - deciding too much; and living with it.

Thread starter
Rboe_imp said:
There is an 2013 at GoAZ, less that 500 miles on her. Traded in on a BMW. WTH?!

I don't understand it either, but some folks have money to drain away I guess. I'll be in Lewiston Idaho mid June. Bring it over and I'll test ride it to see if it's like mine. :D
I'd like to try that. Be real difficult to schedule - since I work on-call...but I'd like to try.

The ride through Lolo National Forest is a great one on two wheels; and at the end of it, is Lewiston.
 
JustPassinThru_imp said:
Rboe_imp said:
There is an 2013 at GoAZ, less that 500 miles on her. Traded in on a BMW. WTH?!

I don't understand it either, but some folks have money to drain away I guess. I'll be in Lewiston Idaho mid June. Bring it over and I'll test ride it to see if it's like mine. :D
I'd like to try that. Be real difficult to schedule - since I work on-call...but I'd like to try.

The ride through Lolo National Forest is a great one on two wheels; and at the end of it, is Lewiston.
I know that ride! U.S. 12 over Lolo Pass and across Idaho, right? One of my favorite rides. I haven't done it on the CB11 yet, but have done it at least a dozen times since the mid 80s.

Note : This sign just west of Lolo Pass now reads "99 miles".
de809b4128e7c061f7109f3e75e536d1.jpg
 
Is there anything more beautiful to a motorcyclist than a sign saying "99 miles of winding road"?
 
Thread starter
Flynrider_imp said:
JustPassinThru_imp said:
Rboe_imp said:
There is an 2013 at GoAZ, less that 500 miles on her. Traded in on a BMW. WTH?!

I don't understand it either, but some folks have money to drain away I guess. I'll be in Lewiston Idaho mid June. Bring it over and I'll test ride it to see if it's like mine. :D
I'd like to try that. Be real difficult to schedule - since I work on-call...but I'd like to try.

The ride through Lolo National Forest is a great one on two wheels; and at the end of it, is Lewiston.
I know that ride! U.S. 12 over Lolo Pass and across Idaho, right? One of my favorite rides. I haven't done it on the CB11 yet, but have done it at least a dozen times since the mid 80s.

Note : This sign just west of Lolo Pass now reads "99 miles".
de809b4128e7c061f7109f3e75e536d1.jpg
I know that ride! U.S. 12 over Lolo Pass and across Idaho, right? One of my favorite rides. I haven't done it on the CB11 yet, but have done it at least a dozen times since the mid 80s.

Note : This sign just west of Lolo Pass now reads "99 miles".
0e0586e65295ad05781b6b31280a26ce.jpg

Yup.

Made it once, last summer. On my departed BMW.

Time allowing, I'll make it again when weather warms up. It's about twenty degrees colder towards the peak, than it is down in the valley of the Clark Fork River.
 
I got a pic as my wife and I blew past the sign in 2013 on the ST when we toured Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon and Wyoming

 
Perversely, perhaps, I'm a bit partial to these signs too given they usually indicate a twisty or two.

 
nhawk7504_imp said:
"Sekiya:
On the hardware side, phased valve timing gives the engine its characteristic feel around the 3,000 rpm range. How did you create the engine's personality?

Minami:
Basically, straight-four engines run smooth as long as all four pistons move the same way. My initial thoughts were, to give the engine a deep rumble, we'd have to change the movement a bit.
We ended up shifting the valve timing of cylinders 1 and 2, compared to cylinders 3 and 4, and by continuing to change the gap, found the right combustion out-of-sync feel."

"Korogi:
At around 3,000 rpm, the four-cylinder engine vibrates strongly like a two-cylinder engine, and has a solid rev feel through the chain to the rear tire, giving a strong sense of traction, and finally a purposeful sound.
'Deep rumble' expresses the feel, through the five senses, of an air-cooled four-cylinder engine."

"Sugiura:
Of all the ideas we had for the engine's 'character,' we went ahead with phased valve timing. The engine is based on the CB1300 Super Four, and in the initial prototyping stages, we took its engine and simply modified it to be air-cooled. We had the prototype tested by a number of people, and the majority told us that it didn't feel like an air-cooled engine, that it felt the same as the 1300SF."

"Fukanaga:
I think the bike is as good as it is, because we had people in the factory see, ride, and understand the level of the engine's potential and 'feel' that we wanted.
Once the factory understood us, they started giving us ideas on how to improve the quality of the mass-produced model. This was what happened for the 2014 model."
Good Answer...!
 
So I was one of the many people who had the unexplainable vibration/buzzing. Mine was more of an annoying buzzing that came on at 3.4k and flattened out around 4.1k RPM's. I couldnt for the life of me figure it out. I decided to do a Hail Mary pass and attach the "Gremlin Bell" to ward off the Gremlins that jump aboard as you ride and monkey with your mechanicals!

You know what? It Worked!!!!!!
 
nhawk7504_imp said:
"Sekiya:
On the hardware side, phased valve timing gives the engine its characteristic feel around the 3,000 rpm range. How did you create the engine's personality?

Minami:
Basically, straight-four engines run smooth as long as all four pistons move the same way. My initial thoughts were, to give the engine a deep rumble, we'd have to change the movement a bit.
We ended up shifting the valve timing of cylinders 1 and 2, compared to cylinders 3 and 4, and by continuing to change the gap, found the right combustion out-of-sync feel."

"Korogi:
At around 3,000 rpm, the four-cylinder engine vibrates strongly like a two-cylinder engine, and has a solid rev feel through the chain to the rear tire, giving a strong sense of traction, and finally a purposeful sound.
'Deep rumble' expresses the feel, through the five senses, of an air-cooled four-cylinder engine."

"Sugiura:
Of all the ideas we had for the engine's 'character,' we went ahead with phased valve timing. The engine is based on the CB1300 Super Four, and in the initial prototyping stages, we took its engine and simply modified it to be air-cooled. We had the prototype tested by a number of people, and the majority told us that it didn't feel like an air-cooled engine, that it felt the same as the 1300SF."

"Fukanaga:
I think the bike is as good as it is, because we had people in the factory see, ride, and understand the level of the engine's potential and 'feel' that we wanted.
Once the factory understood us, they started giving us ideas on how to improve the quality of the mass-produced model. This was what happened for the 2014 model."

Insolentsquid_imp said:
Jeez there's some touchy people out there!

All he asked was "i wonder what the engine would be like if they hadn't designed some character into it" and all of a sudden he's being burned at the stake for blasphemy!

Let's face it, the bike is an oddball - instead of being designed to meet a demand in the market which would lead to a profitable line of sales, it seems to have been designed almost as an indulgence to one man's ideal of a superbike from his youth with the gnarly bits knocked off.

We saw, we test rode, we shared the indulgence.

I still smile when I imagine the conversation where the engine designers were told:
"Yes we KNOW that you can make this engine as smooth as a baby's bottom, but......."
You know, I have serious doubts about these "conversations" with the design team. It's straight out of Honda PR. I think the concept of the CB1100 was knocked out on a Friday evening after a few stress levelling bottles of Saki, translated to a drawing on the back of a paper napkin during a recovery session on Saturday morning and was in production on Monday. Tuesday #1 rolled off the production line and there was a vibration. "What to do, what to do?" "I've got it! Let's call it CHARACTER, The Boss will buy that". All fixed.


Cheers

(Sorry to repeat myself)
 
Thread starter
Hedge_imp said:
So I was one of the many people who had the unexplainable vibration/buzzing. Mine was more of an annoying buzzing that came on at 3.4k and flattened out around 4.1k RPM's. I couldnt for the life of me figure it out. I decided to do a Hail Mary pass and attach the "Gremlin Bell" to ward off the Gremlins that jump aboard as you ride and monkey with your mechanicals!

You know what? It Worked!!!!!!

I'm not surprised.

I haven't seen a Gremlin in YEARS...and I don't even have a bell.
 
JustPassinThru_imp said:
Hedge_imp said:
So I was one of the many people who had the unexplainable vibration/buzzing. Mine was more of an annoying buzzing that came on at 3.4k and flattened out around 4.1k RPM's. I couldnt for the life of me figure it out. I decided to do a Hail Mary pass and attach the "Gremlin Bell" to ward off the Gremlins that jump aboard as you ride and monkey with your mechanicals!

You know what? It Worked!!!!!!

I'm not surprised.

I haven't seen a Gremlin in YEARS...and I don't even have a bell.


I was noticing this a few months ago while riding around town. It's not unusual to see old cars from the 70s still on the road, but I can't remember the last time I saw a Gremlin or Pacer still motoring around.
 
All of the inline fours that I've owned buzz from 4k to 5k. My gen2 busa is the smoothest 4 that I've owned. That's a powerful and fun motorcycle. My only Honda was a CB350 (the first bike that I purchased myself, I was 15) and this CB1100 is a real charmer. Buzzes from 4 to 5 just like all the others. Old KZ's did exactly the same.

It's part of owning a 4. Personally, I love'em.

What's the best one? '06 GSXR1000 tuned with a cam and pipe. Smoothest, fastest most powerful little bike on the planet. Great race bike. :clap:

Edit: If the buzz really annoys you, you can fill up your handlebars with BBs and put the stoppers back in.
 
Toddman_imp said:
All of the inline fours that I've owned buzz from 4k to 5k. My gen2 busa is the smoothest 4 that I've owned. That's a powerful and fun motorcycle. My only Honda was a CB350 (the first bike that I purchased myself, I was 15) and this CB1100 is a real charmer. Buzzes from 4 to 5 just like all the others. Old KZ's did exactly the same.

It's part of owning a 4. Personally, I love'em.

What's the best one? '06 GSXR1000 tuned with a cam and pipe. Smoothest, fastest most powerful little bike on the planet. Great race bike. :clap:

Edit: If the buzz really annoys you, you can fill up your handlebars with BBs and put the stoppers back in.
Guess the "up shot" of all of this discussion is that we must each tend to our own "buzz-ness!" :s
fritz
 
Back
Top