VIBRATION - deciding too much; and living with it.

I think we all perceive vibration differently. To some the vibration of a V twin is just a part of the ride but to others, an intolerable annoyance. For me, the slight vibration of an in-line 4 is hardly felt and not a problem.
 
I must say my favorite bikes have always been inline 4 cyl liter bikes. There is some inherent buzz in a big inline but I have never felt it objectionable. Again ride a TX 650 Yamaha and then tell me the Honda vibrates lol. I also confess I use the torque of the engine and not the horsepower, and it's RARE when my bike hits 4000 rpms and I don't think it's been over 5,000 rpms in nearly 20,000 miles counting my 13 and 14. I spend most of my time where Honda says they put the "character" right around 2500-3000 rpms. If I concentrate I can feel a little buzz but most of the time I don't think about it so I don't feel it. Heck on my 6 speed 80 mph still isn't 4000 rpms, and I just don't ride that fast. I'm usually between 55 and 60 mph, unless on the freeway in traffic which is actually quite rare.

As far as grips I use the Progrip 719 Gel Grip but not for buzz isolation although I suppose it helps for that, but because they are softer and grippier than the stock Honda grips.

JPT here is a dyno chart which will give you peak torque and horsepower readings at given rpms






.
 
Keep in mind that honda engineered this bike to mimic sounds, feels, and looks of it's older predecessor. But the vibration is nothing compared to other motorcycles I've ridden over 50 miles on.
 
Thread starter
Cjsinla_imp said:
Mine seems smooth as silk at all rpm's but my other two bikes are Harleys. I'm surprised to hear people say that an in-line 4 would be prone to buzz or vibration.

To the OP, have you figured out the problem yet?
Probably subjective.

I talked to the shop foreman about it yesterday; he looked at it, and said, yep, it's normal (I can see your eyes roll). But if it were WILDLY out of normal range, he'd probably say something - or else ruin the shop reputation.

The mirrors don't fuzz out; which tells me it's high-pitched and not that intensive - otherwise those mirrors on posts would give me a blur.

Out on a country road yesterday I wound it up to over 5000 rpm...the buzz did mitigate at the high speed. So it's not something twisted or bent - it's probably the inherent harmonics.

Holding the bars more lightly makes it easier on my hand.

And...it's important...I like this machine. I guess this is one of those compromises I have to learn to accept.
 
I have found, for me, a buzz comes on above 55mph, seems worst at 65-70 and smooths out again above that.

Put on 80 miles yesterday and my biggest complaints were wacko drivers, gusty wind (which prompted me to use the rear pegs which caused my left foot to fall asleep). Vibration and buzz, 65-70, was not bad. Probably distracted by the dang wind.

The Griso has no buzz, but it does have the vibes of the big V twin to contend with, and on the highway I find that much more pleasing than the buzz. Over the years it seems to be that higher frequency vibrations are bad, lower frequency vibrations are good (or at least not bad and in many cases, for riders, preferable to no vibration at all - it gives the machine a pulse they can feel and identify with).

I have not spent much time at 85+ but if memory serves, it seemed smoother there. Or maybe I was too scared about wind, cops, road hazzards etc. that I didn't pay any attention to a buzz. :)

My gut feeling, if the mirrors are still clear it's probably not a real problem for the mechanicals.
 
JustPassinThru_imp said:
Cjsinla_imp said:
Mine seems smooth as silk at all rpm's but my other two bikes are Harleys. I'm surprised to hear people say that an in-line 4 would be prone to buzz or vibration.

To the OP, have you figured out the problem yet?
Probably subjective.

I talked to the shop foreman about it yesterday; he looked at it, and said, yep, it's normal (I can see your eyes roll). But if it were WILDLY out of normal range, he'd probably say something - or else ruin the shop reputation.

The mirrors don't fuzz out; which tells me it's high-pitched and not that intensive - otherwise those mirrors on posts would give me a blur.

Out on a country road yesterday I wound it up to over 5000 rpm...the buzz did mitigate at the high speed. So it's not something twisted or bent - it's probably the inherent harmonics.

Holding the bars more lightly makes it easier on my hand.

And...it's important...I like this machine. I guess this is one of those compromises I have to learn to accept.
Probably subjective.

I talked to the shop foreman about it yesterday; he looked at it, and said, yep, it's normal (I can see your eyes roll). But if it were WILDLY out of normal range, he'd probably say something - or else ruin the shop reputation.

The mirrors don't fuzz out; which tells me it's high-pitched and not that intensive - otherwise those mirrors on posts would give me a blur.

Out on a country road yesterday I wound it up to over 5000 rpm...the buzz did mitigate at the high speed. So it's not something twisted or bent - it's probably the inherent harmonics.

Holding the bars more lightly makes it easier on my hand.

And...it's important...I like this machine. I guess this is one of those compromises I have to learn to accept.
Did you lose the kickstand? A turn signal lens? Headlight bulb? Air cleaner cover? Choke knob? Odometer knob? A mirror start spinning and fly off? Battery cover or strap? Oh wait...your on a Honda...never mind. Your good. :rofl:
 
xNE0x_imp said:
Then I would suggest changing sprockets to alter your gear ratio. If you are a highway speeds rider, go with a 19 tooth sprocket in the front and a lesser tooth sprocket in the rear. The early cb1110's were geared too short, for sport.
Can you tell more about this topic? I'd be interested in ratio, teeth count and purpose.
 
Thread starter
Rboe_imp said:
I have found, for me, a buzz comes on above 55mph, seems worst at 65-70 and smooths out again above that.

Put on 80 miles yesterday and my biggest complaints were wacko drivers, gusty wind (which prompted me to use the rear pegs which caused my left foot to fall asleep). Vibration and buzz, 65-70, was not bad. Probably distracted by the dang wind.

The Griso has no buzz, but it does have the vibes of the big V twin to contend with, and on the highway I find that much more pleasing than the buzz. Over the years it seems to be that higher frequency vibrations are bad, lower frequency vibrations are good (or at least not bad and in many cases, for riders, preferable to no vibration at all - it gives the machine a pulse they can feel and identify with).

I have not spent much time at 85+ but if memory serves, it seemed smoother there. Or maybe I was too scared about wind, cops, road hazzards etc. that I didn't pay any attention to a buzz. :)

My gut feeling, if the mirrors are still clear it's probably not a real problem for the mechanicals.
That's where I'm at.

At this point...with the machine virgin...live with it. Taking it apart entails more risks than benefits.

Yuppers on the mirrors. Also, correct on the vibration settling down at top-end revs. Which tells me it's harmonic resonance, not an unbalanced part. A car wheel, for examle, doesn't settle down when it's unbalanced when you speed it up. Likewise an out-of-spec flywheel or engine counterweight.

Mirrors are clear and it hasn't shed parts; so we're all good.

Softer grips are in the pipeline.
 
Django_imp said:
xNE0x_imp said:
Then I would suggest changing sprockets to alter your gear ratio. If you are a highway speeds rider, go with a 19 tooth sprocket in the front and a lesser tooth sprocket in the rear. The early cb1110's were geared too short, for sport.
Can you tell more about this topic? I'd be interested in ratio, teeth count and purpose.
Can you tell more about this topic? I'd be interested in ratio, teeth count and purpose.
According to the parts listing, the 2013 is 18T in the front and 39T in the rear.
 
Thread starter
Ack-CB11_imp said:
JPT,
Do the vibes get worse as it warms up, say 30 min's?
Seems they do.

I thought it was just subjective...get on, and it feels fine; after you settle in, you feel things.

But it may just be, that they're getting worse as things warm up. In fact I think that's probable.
 
I broke mine in on 10w40 June thru Oct. When I put 10w30 in for the cold the bike had a lot more vibes in the bars. It was the 1st time my hand ever went numb riding?
Sorry about bringing up oil.......
 
Thread starter
Ack-CB11_imp said:
I broke mine in on 10w40 June thru Oct. When I put 10w30 in for the cold the bike had a lot more vibes in the bars. It was the 1st time my hand ever went numb riding?
Sorry about bringing up oil.......
Shame on you. Now we'll have to have OIL WARS.

I'm running Honda synoil. Dealer did the first oil change and put the synoil in...0W-40.

I didn't notice any change from when it was new.
 
Try Redline 10w40 great specs, no vibes. Worked well for me. I had the same results with Amsoil but I like full ester oils a little better.
Some oils thin more then others at temp. The more viscosity @100c the better = more stabile. A lower number @40c more flow at start.

Sorry All.....:(. I'm done.
 
JustPassinThru_imp said:
Ack-CB11_imp said:
I broke mine in on 10w40 June thru Oct. When I put 10w30 in for the cold the bike had a lot more vibes in the bars. It was the 1st time my hand ever went numb riding?
Sorry about bringing up oil.......
Shame on you. Now we'll have to have OIL WARS.

I'm running Honda synoil. Dealer did the first oil change and put the synoil in...0W-40.

I didn't notice any change from when it was new.
Shame on you. Now we'll have to have OIL WARS.

I'm running Honda synoil. Dealer did the first oil change and put the synoil in...0W-40.

I didn't notice any change from when it was new.

I have always considered myself pretty learned when it comes to things motorcycle. I have been a student of motorcycle and motorcycling my whole life, worked in motorcycle shops for nearly 2 decades, and am in a shop at least every 3 days even now. At a soon to be 65 thought I had heard of pretty much everything when it comes to life on two wheels, but those two things I have never even heard of.

Synoil? Is that hopefully an abbreviation for synthetic? if not what the heck is synoil?

0W40? How can something designed to lubricate ever have 0 viscosity? I know I've seen 5 wt but never a 0 wt before.

Someone please explain

The -never too old to learn-Ferret
 
I have seen the 0W oils and have heard they are strictly automotive oils with properties detrimental to wet clutches having "friction modifiers".
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
JustPassinThru_imp said:
Ack-CB11_imp said:
I broke mine in on 10w40 June thru Oct. When I put 10w30 in for the cold the bike had a lot more vibes in the bars. It was the 1st time my hand ever went numb riding?
Sorry about bringing up oil.......
Shame on you. Now we'll have to have OIL WARS.

I'm running Honda synoil. Dealer did the first oil change and put the synoil in...0W-40.

I didn't notice any change from when it was new.
Shame on you. Now we'll have to have OIL WARS.

I'm running Honda synoil. Dealer did the first oil change and put the synoil in...0W-40.

I didn't notice any change from when it was new.

I have always considered myself pretty learned when it comes to things motorcycle. I have been a student of motorcycle and motorcycling my whole life, worked in motorcycle shops for nearly 2 decades, and am in a shop at least every 3 days even now. At a soon to be 65 thought I had heard of pretty much everything when it comes to life on two wheels, but those two things I have never even heard of.

Synoil? Is that hopefully an abbreviation for synthetic? if not what the heck is synoil?

0W40? How can something designed to lubricate ever have 0 viscosity? I know I've seen 5 wt but never a 0 wt before.

Someone please explain

The -never too old to learn-Ferret
Yup, that's what some web-posters sometimes call synthetic. Honda has made for it, sold under the Honda brand, a motorcycle synthetic that works with a wet-clutch pack.

IIRC it was 0w-40. Fully approved by Honda for this model. I discussed using mineral oil; but since I don't know how much the bike will be sitting around...the cost of synthetic in the end will be a small part of operating costs; and if it works against sludge buildup...it will be worth it.

I might be wrong about the weight. What I do know was that it was what the books called for.

0W synthetic is quite common...Toyota calls for it in their new cars. It's got the equivalent cold viscosity of a 0-weight oil...in other words, seems very thin. At operating temperatures, it will have the viscosity of a 40-weight oil. Neat trick.
redbirds_imp said:
I have seen the 0W oils and have heard they are strictly automotive oils with properties detrimental to wet clutches having "friction modifiers".
Honda and other cycle manufacturers now have synthetics sold under their brand names, recommended by them, which have properties which work with wet-clutch packs.

A little different, I guess, than Mobil 1.
 
I'm gonna thrown in my 2 cents from my experience with my 450 mile 2014. First, to me there is a huge difference between a buzz which I hear on my bike and a vibration, which in my world would mean shaking of some sort. That said, I hear a buzz from (somewhere unknown to me as of now) between RPM 3400 and flattens right out at RPM 4100. After 4100 RPM and below RPM 3400 it is virtually quiet. It is also vibration-less at all RPM's. Not sure where to begin my investigation for the buzzing, but since others have said that simply changing the oil to another brand or weight has worked for them, I might start there. Note, it isn't really annoying but like any eye-sore, once you see it \ hear it you just can't get away from it!
 
Back
Top