VFR Fever, Again

TINK_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Thanks to metallyguitarded I have a bad case of VFR FEVER! http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=4287

I've owned two VFR's; a 1992 and a 2001. http://home.ix.netcom.com/~tinkler/VFR.html

Soooooo, I'm trolling Craigslist the other night and I come across a 2000 VFR800Fi for sale.... OH NO, NOT AGAIN! Yes, boys and girls, again.

I sold my 2001 VFR when I got my ST1300 thinking the ST would do everything the VFR did, only better. Well, the ST1300 is an amazing sport/touring platform, but it leans more towards the touring side than the sport. The ST1300 is heavy at 700+ lbs and it shows its weight when you try and run hot laps through the canyons.

The VFR, on the other hand, is 500+ lbs and is a great touring and sport machine. Even tough the VFR does not have the convenience of the ST1300's hard bags, I did many a multi-day ride on my VFR's with just a tank bag and seat bag.

So I'll to take a peek at the VFR Sunday and decide if I should go back to the future and get back in the saddle of a VFR... stay tuned.

PS
I'm keeping my CB1100; I'm not going to make the same mistake of selling off one of the best motorcycle Honda has ever built, not this time, not this bike.

PPS
It's actually raining here is So Cal today, about time, we need the water badly here.
 
It is hilarious that we all have this sickness. No matter what we already have, and how great it is, we go looking for something else. "Yeah, that is what I need. If I just get that, I will be happy!" You know it is REALLY bad when you start buying back things you have already had before. Like maybe it will be even better this time, cause I must not having been paying attention to reality when I decided it wasn't right choice, and sold it off the first time!
 
Yeah I have a 2000 that is pulling on me like a black hole in space too. Guy lives nearby. Mint. Low miles. Beautiful machine. I had a 96.
 
With all the other illnesses going around, I take some comfort in knowing that what I gave you is "only" VFR Fever. The good news is that quarantine is never required. In fact, just the opposite! The bad news is that the "medicine" to treat the fever can be quite expensive. I anxiously await learning how your treatment plan works out!

In the meantime, here I am in the depth of my illness:



[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/08022014Hwy94.jpg.html]

[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/DSC9436-X2-1.jpg.html]

[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/09182014.jpg.html]
 
Beautiful bike MG.

Good luck with your search Tink. Does that mean you will sell the ST? I can't sell mine. It's the only bike my wife feels comfortable on anymore. If she quit riding altogether I could downsize.
 
I had an '01 VFR that I loved to ride. I bought it when I was in AZ, and it was a blast in the mountains around Phoenix. I lot of people criticized the variable valve timing, but I thought it was cool. It reminded me of the old four barrel carbs...just when you thought it was peaked out, bam, it'd hit its second wind and blast ajead.
 
I still own my 1998 (best year VFR IMHO) VFR, and will never sell it. It has 95,000 miles now, but runs as well as the day I bought it. I've taken it on many trips, solo & two-up. Use a tank bag and back pack when I do solo trips, but have to add the soft saddlebags when the wife joins me. I really like my CB1100 for what it is, but I love my VFR.
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
I had an '01 VFR that I loved to ride. I bought it when I was in AZ, and it was a blast in the mountains around Phoenix. I lot of people criticized the variable valve timing, but I thought it was cool. It reminded me of the old four barrel carbs...just when you thought it was peaked out, bam, it'd hit its second wind and blast ajead.

Most people that criticized the VCT first off never rode one and secondly said the VCT didn't boost power in the upper rev range but instead retarded the power in the lower rev range.

Gear driven cams seems to be the " we want" for most VFR enthusiasts online, and no VCT
 
I loved my VFR800 1999, but if I go back then I loved my Ducati ST2 even more. I often think of getting another one of those, but then reality sets in and I know that I would not use it much. I just don't ride like I used to, and the CB11 is just perfect for most of my riding. Besides, I still have a Scarabeo 500 scooter for commuting to work with during the summer months.

But then, there would still be those moments when the ST2 would be just so right...
 
My understanding, coming from a professional Honda mechanic, is the V-Tec valves are much more time-consuming to adjust. Most "true" VFR owners seem to agree, that we prefer to get rid of the V-Tec design and return to the simpler gear-driven cams.
 
Read an interesting article on VFRs last night. Was surprised to learn they only have about 10 rwhp more than a CB 1100 and weigh similar to a 13 or 14 CB 1100 std.
 
Thread starter
While this may be true on paper, ferret, there's nothing like the visceral sound and feel of a Honda V4.

The ferret_imp said:
Read an interesting article on VFRs last night. Was surprised to learn they only have about 10 rwhp more than a CB 1100 and weigh similar to a 13 or 14 CB 1100 std.
 
Thanks ferret and redbirds for the compliments on my VFR. I think she's a beauty too. And I have to agree with TINK, you really can't compare the sound and feel of the V4 to the inline 4. As far as hp goes, I know Honda is reporting 83 horses for the CB1100 (haven't seen any dynos yet) but I've seen numerous dynos for bone stock 6th gen VFR800's like mine coming in at around 100. The VFR pulls faster and stronger and plants firmly in corners at speeds that I'd be terrified to attempt on the CB. Two very different machines. I feel drawn more to the CB for 75% of my riding but that other 25% on the VFR never fails to put a smile on my face and reminds me why I love it so much.
 
Yea guys I had a V65 Sabre, I'm with you on the sound, and I didn't say that as a knock on the VFR, a stunning motorcycle, it just really surprised me when I read it. I think it was a MotorcycleUSA report and they dynoed the bike at 94 rw horsepower and listed the weight around 540 wet iirc.

Those numbers don't change the fact that it is one of the most beloved motorcycles in Hondas history with a huge following.

You know people read that a CB only has around 84 horsepower and weighs a " portly" 540 pounds but we all know riding one is quite satisfactory.
 
I keep looking at CL listings of the old V45/V65 Sabres. How'd you like yours? The new VFR800X looks like it'd be interesting - like to see it offered here.
 
metallyguitarded_imp said:
Thanks ferret and redbirds for the compliments on my VFR. I think she's a beauty too. And I have to agree with TINK, you really can't compare the sound and feel of the V4 to the inline 4. As far as hp goes, I know Honda is reporting 83 horses for the CB1100 (haven't seen any dynos yet) but I've seen numerous dynos for bone stock 6th gen VFR800's like mine coming in at around 100. The VFR pulls faster and stronger and plants firmly in corners at speeds that I'd be terrified to attempt on the CB. Two very different machines. I feel drawn more to the CB for 75% of my riding but that other 25% on the VFR never fails to put a smile on my face and reminds me why I love it so much.
Honda claims 89 at the crank for the '13 model. Most of the dyno charts I've seen for the stock versions showed 83-84 at the rear wheel.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Yea guys I had a V65 Sabre, I'm with you on the sound, and I didn't say that as a knock on the VFR, a stunning motorcycle, it just really surprised me when I read it. I think it was a MotorcycleUSA report and they dynoed the bike at 94 rw horsepower and listed the weight around 540 wet iirc.

Those numbers don't change the fact that it is one of the most beloved motorcycles in Hondas history with a huge following.

You know people read that a CB only has around 84 horsepower and weighs a " portly" 540 pounds but we all know riding one is quite satisfactory.
Okay, one second ... there. Got that bunch out of my panties. As you were saying? Haha.
 
DAC_imp said:
I keep looking at CL listings of the old V45/V65 Sabres. How'd you like yours? The new VFR800X looks like it'd be interesting - like to see it offered here.

The V65 Sabre is a tall, long heavy bike. A lot of fun when you open it up though! Lol

The V45 was much more my size, but I never ran into one I wanted to buy.

Both had top end oiling issues that Honda eventually resolved.
 
That's the knock on the older Honda V4s. I've heard rumors, though, that the problem was more metallurgy than oil. Know knows? I just like the notion of a more upright V4.
 
Back
Top