VFR 1200

CB1100DLX_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Hi all,
Was wondering what your thoughts are on the VFR 1200. Seems like it would be a good option for touring, a comfortable riding position but with really good handling. Yet it seems to have had similar fate to the CB1100...not overly popular with mixed reviews from riders and journalists. Could Honda have missed the mark on two motorcycles in the five year span 2010-2015? I think both bikes are great in terms of style and function!
 
The VFR 1200 is a great motorcycle by all accounts, but too sporty for the sport touring crowd with not enough wind protection and no luggage availability and too toury for the true sport crowd and it's 600+ lbs wet weight was a deterrent. The ergos are decidedly sporty. Also the valve check/adjustment is a nightmare I am told.

The 1200 Crosstour should do well with the sport touring crowd though, same motor, better ergos and more luggage options.
 
I sat on a VFR1200 the other day when I was scoping out the ST1300. Beautiful bike, sat on it 3 times, but every time I sat on it the bars were still too low for me. Salesman said, just add risers, but it wasn't designed for an upright position.
 
I think the VFR is a beautiful bike and there are OEM and aftermarket bags available for it. I bet that V4 is packed so tight in the frame, valve adjustments are a pain as Ferret mentioned. I suspect the VFR1200X will be no different.

Still, you can find them used for less than half original msrp. I've seen some low mileage (under 5k) for under $7000. New price is $16k. For my money, I'd get a Yamaha FJR (used or new). They are not much heavier, come with luggage, better ergos, adjustable screen, faster, better mpg, 26k valve check intervals.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the feedback guys. Yeah, I'm amazed at how low these used bikes have gone down from MSRP. Honda engineering have done a great job on their bikes but have driven up the costs of their bikes. When you get to those higher price ranges, I think a lot of buyers look at other options besides Honda. If the CB1100 and the VFR1200 were priced lower brand new I think it would've attracted a lot more buyers. Honda built their name with reliable affordable bikes historically but now it seems that their bikes are too pricey new.
 
I tried Crosstourer out for a day. It was fast and comfy. Good on the motorway and the backlanes too. A better sports tourer than the VFR1200 I'd think. VFR looked and felt like a classy, comfortable sports bike to me.

I think a Crosstourer would make a great used buy.
 
My $.02..
The VFR is one of Honda's most refined bikes; Beautiful paint, amazing finish and typical Honda build quality. Its very fast, but also very heavy. Local dealers around here struggled to give them away. My Honda dealer offered my a brand new one for $9999+TTT (tax, title, tags) I was happy with my current stable of bikes and declined. The thought of removing all that plastic bodywork for basic services scared me too. And I've heard that V4's are a major PITA to service.

What about an FJR? They are heavy and fully faired too but they are stone reliable, fast, comfy as a sofa, have shaft drive, 26,000 mile valve adjustment intervals and you can find 2004-2007 models used with low miles for $5-7K.
 
I gave the VFR800 some serious thought last year, as a second bike to the CB. I was pretty excited, until I got an insurance quote.
Well, it's always nice to dream.

Both VFRs are great-looking bikes though, and I'm sure they're a hoot to ride.
Having an open-swingarm bike is awesome...I seriously wish every motorcycle had one.
 
certain build years have been recalled for failing....drive shafts believe it or not
The VFR and the Crosstourer since they have the same drive shaft system.
 
http://www.hondaprokevin.com/vfr1200-recall-stop-sale-motorcycle-sport-bike-news-vfr-1200/
VFR1200F、VFR1200Xのリコール | Honda

4f1de143c7f7e15d1fabd9d011917829.jpg

7a3f2aac01e1e43a51e4f2c0a3ec91a8.jpg

9bdb2312d1b4cf4ed887c238e9204aab.jpg



ow, thats Honda, not BMW :rolleyes:
 
the_undecider_imp said:
Riko_imp said:
certain build years have been recalled for failing....drive shafts believe it or not
The VFR and the Crosstourer since they have the same drive shaft system.
What is this, a BMW?
What is this, a BMW?
No. Crosstourer is the Honda VFR 1200 X, the ADV version of the VFR.
 
Django_imp said:
the_undecider_imp said:
Riko_imp said:
certain build years have been recalled for failing....drive shafts believe it or not
The VFR and the Crosstourer since they have the same drive shaft system.
What is this, a BMW?
What is this, a BMW?
No. Crosstourer is the Honda VFR 1200 X, the ADV version of the VFR.
What is this, a BMW?
No. Crosstourer is the Honda VFR 1200 X, the ADV version of the VFR.
I know, I was poking fun at BMW for all the trouble they had with their final drives, particularly the GS.

I got to see the Crosstourer in person 2 days ago. Honda is finally bringing them into the US.
 
Thread starter
The more I look into it, the more similarities I see in the CB1100 and VFR1200, for better or worse. Add if you can/wish...

1. Despite high design traits, both bikes did not sell well off the showroom floor in the USA.
2. Both stopped at model year 2014 in the USA.
3. Gas tank too small.
 
Agree except; A. Honda marketed the VFR1200 very heavily, and B. The CB has enough tank, in my opinion - my bladder usually needs a drain before the tank needs a fill.
 
Both have

Honda fit and finish
Drop dead gorgeous paint
Flying wing logo
4 cylinders
 
Django_imp said:
the_undecider_imp said:
Riko_imp said:
certain build years have been recalled for failing....drive shafts believe it or not
The VFR and the Crosstourer since they have the same drive shaft system.
What is this, a BMW?
What is this, a BMW?
No. Crosstourer is the Honda VFR 1200 X, the ADV version of the VFR.
What is this, a BMW?
No. Crosstourer is the Honda VFR 1200 X, the ADV version of the VFR. lol you didn't realise he was teasing BMW? :)
I'm not that surprised you didnt get it since BMW isn't the only one now with shaft issues...than the joke might have worked. :D

Actually the sport touring is called VFR1200F, the Crosstourer is called VFR1200X.
1 letter difference.
CB1100DLX_imp said:
The more I look into it, the more similarities I see in the CB1100 and VFR1200, for better or worse. Add if you can/wish...

1. Despite high design traits, both bikes did not sell well off the showroom floor in the USA.
2. Both stopped at model year 2014 in the USA.
3. Gas tank too small.
I disagree, the Crosstourer has 21,5 liters and the GS has 20 liters, so the GS has actually a smaller capacity...
The Adventure GS however is a different story :)
 
Thread starter
Adding that both bikes have die hard passionate fans!

The gas tank is thought to be small because they went from the VFR800 and increased to 1200cc but actually reduced the tank capacity. Go figure.

Ferret, agree on the drop dead gorgeous paint on both!
 
The VFR1200, too heavy to be a sport bike and too many strikes against it as a touring bike (small tank, limited luggage space and poor ergos). I looked at one at a bike show and really wanted to like it. As said here already, the fit and finish are superb. I still think Honda could turn the VFR1200 into a bike that would be a worthy successor to the ST1300. Better access to the engine would be a good idea if it can be done, a larger tank and standard luggage like that on the ST.
 
Several years old, here is a nicely put together video by a fella in New Zealand highlighting the VFR1200. Honestly, I know zip about this particular motorcycle, but I only offer this video as I have watched a large number of this gents videos and I find him pretty thorough, and perhaps the VFR proponents may enjoy this as well...

 
Back
Top