Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Another vote for chain adjustment. I think this will solve all your problems. Adjust the chain and the trans will shift like butter.The Spaceman_imp said:When my CB doesn't shift as smoothly as I expect, I adjust the chain. More than one owner has noted that the CB is very sensitive to chain adjustment, and an out if adjustment condition manifests itself in sloppy shifting.

Mental note: Chuck Norris doesn't need to double clutch, the threat of force gets the transmission into gear.offroadfx4_imp said:When I first got my CB750 in 1976, I took it back to the dealer and complained about clunky shifting and he told me I just didn't know how to shift it right....I think for the most part he was right.
I thought I knew how to shift a manual transmission until I rented a Ford CL9000 semi truck 30 years ago and drove it on a 400 mile round trip. To make a long story short, I burned the clutch out of it coming back and had to drive it all the way home without a clutch.
I found out, when shifting up gears, you always need to accelerate right before you shift and as you let off the throttle, it will synchronize and "float" out of that gear hit the higher gear in sync.
Shifting down, you always need to bump the throttle to help synchronize the gears and help them "float" together.
I'm sure motorcycles like cars have "synchronizing" rings that help mesh gears together even if you don't help by shifting correctly, but helping them will make things go smoother.
The funny thing about the semi truck, is going up or coming down in gears was not a problem without the clutch unless you missed one or tried to skip a gear, then it was anyone's guess what the proper synchronizing was needed so you almost had to come to a complete stop and start over.
Another funny thing is without a clutch, the only way to stop at a stop light, was you had to accelerate in 1st gear right before you wanted to stop, then pull it into neutral, but under de-acceleration it wouldn't come out of 1st. Then, luckily 1st gear was so low, to take off you just had to jam it into first without the clutch and it would take off immediately.
That was the first and last time I ever drove a semi truck ;-)
PS: I agree, tightening chain tension does also help, I'm not sure if it actually makes the shifting smoother or it creates a more direct drive that reduces the impulse-momentum the slack in the chain can build up. More physics than I want to thing about, but is a link about it: [url=http://www.physicsclassroom.com/calcpad/momentum]http://www.physicsclassroom.com/calcpad/momentum
Constant-mesh, sequential motorcycle transmissions do not have synchronizers. The transmission is always in gear and all you're doing by shifting is moving the shifter fork. With enough of a push or pull of the shift lever, it will always work, however you may grind the dogs off, eventually, or bend the fork.offroadfx4_imp said:When I first got my CB750 in 1976, I took it back to the dealer and complained about clunky shifting and he told me I just didn't know how to shift it right....I think for the most part he was right.
I thought I knew how to shift a manual transmission until I rented a Ford CL9000 semi truck 30 years ago and drove it on a 400 mile round trip. To make a long story short, I burned the clutch out of it coming back and had to drive it all the way home without a clutch.
I found out, when shifting up gears, you always need to accelerate right before you shift and as you let off the throttle, it will synchronize and "float" out of that gear hit the higher gear in sync.
Shifting down, you always need to bump the throttle to help synchronize the gears and help them "float" together.
I'm sure motorcycles like cars have "synchronizing" rings that help mesh gears together even if you don't help by shifting correctly, but helping them will make things go smoother.
The funny thing about the semi truck, is going up or coming down in gears was not a problem without the clutch unless you missed one or tried to skip a gear, then it was anyone's guess what the proper synchronizing was needed so you almost had to come to a complete stop and start over.
Another funny thing is without a clutch, the only way to stop at a stop light, was you had to accelerate in 1st gear right before you wanted to stop, then pull it into neutral, but under de-acceleration it wouldn't come out of 1st. Then, luckily 1st gear was so low, to take off you just had to jam it into first without the clutch and it would take off immediately.
That was the first and last time I ever drove a semi truck ;-)
PS: I agree, tightening chain tension does also help, I'm not sure if it actually makes the shifting smoother or it creates a more direct drive that reduces the impulse-momentum the slack in the chain can build up. More physics than I want to thing about, but is a link about it: [url=http://www.physicsclassroom.com/calcpad/momentum]http://www.physicsclassroom.com/calcpad/momentum
Try not rolling all the way off on the throttle, just roll off enough to go below the RPM of the next gear, if you know what I mean. Like when you're downshifting and you rev-match to the next lower gear to limit clutch/driveline wear? Do the same thing on upshifts and it'll be smoother.Zappertomm_imp said:I have the same shifting clunk in all lower gears. Much worse that other Honda's I have owned over the years. It has the dealer's stock oil, which will be changed out very soon. Hope this helps. I already adjusted the chain to minimum 1" slack.
I have 1900 miles on it, so I had hoped to have it broke in. Bought it at 1830 miles, so no telling wha tthe previous owned did.
The throttle seems very, very sensitive on backing off the when shifting. Only a few degrees of throttle change seems a huge difference when around RPM around 2000-3000. It drops to idle almost immediately. Any advice is welcome.
Constant-mesh, sequential motorcycle transmissions do not have synchronizers. The transmission is always in gear and all you're doing by shifting is moving the shifter fork. With enough of a push or pull of the shift lever, it will always work, however you may grind the dogs off, eventually, or bend the fork. Thanks....Never too old to learn!AzBob_imp said:Constant-mesh, sequential motorcycle transmissions do not have synchronizers. The transmission is always in gear and all you're doing by shifting is moving the shifter fork. With enough of a push or pull of the shift lever, it will always work, however you may grind the dogs off, eventually, or bend the fork.offroadfx4_imp said:When I first got my CB750 in 1976, I took it back to the dealer and complained about clunky shifting and he told me I just didn't know how to shift it right....I think for the most part he was right.
I thought I knew how to shift a manual transmission until I rented a Ford CL9000 semi truck 30 years ago and drove it on a 400 mile round trip. To make a long story short, I burned the clutch out of it coming back and had to drive it all the way home without a clutch.
I found out, when shifting up gears, you always need to accelerate right before you shift and as you let off the throttle, it will synchronize and "float" out of that gear hit the higher gear in sync.
Shifting down, you always need to bump the throttle to help synchronize the gears and help them "float" together.
I'm sure motorcycles like cars have "synchronizing" rings that help mesh gears together even if you don't help by shifting correctly, but helping them will make things go smoother.
The funny thing about the semi truck, is going up or coming down in gears was not a problem without the clutch unless you missed one or tried to skip a gear, then it was anyone's guess what the proper synchronizing was needed so you almost had to come to a complete stop and start over.
Another funny thing is without a clutch, the only way to stop at a stop light, was you had to accelerate in 1st gear right before you wanted to stop, then pull it into neutral, but under de-acceleration it wouldn't come out of 1st. Then, luckily 1st gear was so low, to take off you just had to jam it into first without the clutch and it would take off immediately.
That was the first and last time I ever drove a semi truck ;-)
PS: I agree, tightening chain tension does also help, I'm not sure if it actually makes the shifting smoother or it creates a more direct drive that reduces the impulse-momentum the slack in the chain can build up. More physics than I want to thing about, but is a link about it: [url=http://www.physicsclassroom.com/calcpad/momentum]http://www.physicsclassroom.com/calcpad/momentum
Just got my CB1100 two weeks ago. Had the same issue with the shifting and surge/backlast with throttle changes. So, I replaced petroleum based oil with Castrol Edge 10W40 full synthetic oil, adjusted the clutch and throttle handlebar controls to a better "feel", added thicker grips (increases diameter for reduced sensitivity to throttle changes), tightened the drive chain to minimum spec, and voila, the surge is now acceptable. I know an old rider at work that says the surge is charateristic of fuel injected bikes over the last couple of years (coupled with lean lmixture to meet emission specs). He says feathering the clutch is about the only want to manage it. I tried the above, as well.kDiqq_imp said:So I just got my CB1100 and I noticed that the shifting feels very heavy. I shifting any gear I can hear it in my helmet. Just sorta feels like I'm shifting a tank! Is this normal? If so fine, but the shifter feedback is quite heavy and notchy. Clutch engagement is buttery and nice, though it will slip on hard shifts if I don't throw the clutch out super quick. Not a huge deal, my fault. Thanks in advance!
Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
Just got my CB1100 two weeks ago. Had the same issue with the shifting and surge/backlast with throttle changes. So, I replaced petroleum based oil with Castrol Edge 10W40 full synthetic oil, adjusted the clutch and throttle handlebar controls to a better "feel", added thicker grips (increases diameter for reduced sensitivity to throttle changes), tightened the drive chain to minimum spec, and voila, the surge is now acceptable. I know an old rider at work that says the surge is charateristic of fuel injected bikes over the last couple of years (coupled with lean lmixture to meet emission specs). He says feathering the clutch is about the only want to manage it. I tried the above, as well.Zappertomm_imp said:Just got my CB1100 two weeks ago. Had the same issue with the shifting and surge/backlast with throttle changes. So, I replaced petroleum based oil with Castrol Edge 10W40 full synthetic oil, adjusted the clutch and throttle handlebar controls to a better "feel", added thicker grips (increases diameter for reduced sensitivity to throttle changes), tightened the drive chain to minimum spec, and voila, the surge is now acceptable. I know an old rider at work that says the surge is charateristic of fuel injected bikes over the last couple of years (coupled with lean lmixture to meet emission specs). He says feathering the clutch is about the only want to manage it. I tried the above, as well.kDiqq_imp said:So I just got my CB1100 and I noticed that the shifting feels very heavy. I shifting any gear I can hear it in my helmet. Just sorta feels like I'm shifting a tank! Is this normal? If so fine, but the shifter feedback is quite heavy and notchy. Clutch engagement is buttery and nice, though it will slip on hard shifts if I don't throw the clutch out super quick. Not a huge deal, my fault. Thanks in advance!
Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
Rides good now. I'm a happer camper.....errrr.....rider.
Zappertomm