Very clunky shifting

kDiqq_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
So I just got my CB1100 and I noticed that the shifting feels very heavy. I shifting any gear I can hear it in my helmet. Just sorta feels like I'm shifting a tank! Is this normal? If so fine, but the shifter feedback is quite heavy and notchy. Clutch engagement is buttery and nice, though it will slip on hard shifts if I don't throw the clutch out super quick. Not a huge deal, my fault. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
 
kDiqq_imp said:
So I just got my CB1100 and I noticed that the shifting feels very heavy. I shifting any gear I can hear it in my helmet. Just sorta feels like I'm shifting a tank! Is this normal? If so fine, but the shifter feedback is quite heavy and notchy. Clutch engagement is buttery and nice, though it will slip on hard shifts if I don't throw the clutch out super quick. Not a huge deal, my fault. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
Totally not normal. Mine shifts great, with just sort of a click, one of the many nice attributes of the CB. Something must be way out of whack. And I've never had any clutch slippage, either.
 
Firstfour_imp said:
kDiqq_imp said:
So I just got my CB1100 and I noticed that the shifting feels very heavy. I shifting any gear I can hear it in my helmet. Just sorta feels like I'm shifting a tank! Is this normal? If so fine, but the shifter feedback is quite heavy and notchy. Clutch engagement is buttery and nice, though it will slip on hard shifts if I don't throw the clutch out super quick. Not a huge deal, my fault. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
Totally not normal. Mine shifts great, with just sort of a click, one of the many nice attributes of the CB. Something must be way out of whack. And I've never had any clutch slippage, either.
Totally not normal. Mine shifts great, with just sort of a click, one of the many nice attributes of the CB. Something must be way out of whack. And I've never had any clutch slippage, either.
Same here. Mine shifts like a dream and clutch engagement is sweet with no slippage either.
 
Mine shifts good too. Down shifting to 1st at too high a speed will get a clunk, so I make sure I'm almost stopped to drop to 1st. I did have a issue or thought I had an issue with it popping out of 5th, but found it was me not giving a good shift, was wearing different shoes, actually tennis shoes on a short ride.:angel:

As with any clutch, make sure it's fully engaged (hand off the lever) before going full power or you will burn it out in a hurry.
 
This clunk feeling you describe is normal of all honda's. Especially going from neutral to 1st. I am use to it because I've ridden my CB750K for about 10 years before buying this bike. As long as it goes into gear without jamming the shifter, you should be fine. If you find your jamming the shifter in gear, try adjusting your dial on your clutch lever.

But yes it is normal. Mine does it as well.
 
Mine gives a loud clunk when engaging first from neutral as most bikes do but otherwise shifts very crisply into the next four gears. Down shifts are smooth as butter and quite seamless. Mine use to drag going into fifth gear when hot but I cured that by going to Rotella T6 5W-40 all synthetic oil at the last change.
 
Thread starter
Awesome!! Thank y'all! I rode for a long time today (I swear, only to test) and anything involving 2nd gear gives a fairly solid clunk, but really it's pretty smooth if I move my foot quick. Not hard, but quick. Which I know I should do anyways. So my bad. And the clutch issue is me not used to having to bring the clutch level out 100% to have it engage. I'm used to dual sports where I kept the engagement early to make feathering offroad easy. But I still want the engagement point earlier! Any way to adjust the clutch?

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
 
kDiqq_imp said:
Awesome!! Thank y'all! I rode for a long time today (I swear, only to test) and anything involving 2nd gear gives a fairly solid clunk, but really it's pretty smooth if I move my foot quick. Not hard, but quick. Which I know I should do anyways. So my bad. And the clutch issue is me not used to having to bring the clutch level out 100% to have it engage. I'm used to dual sports where I kept the engagement early to make feathering offroad easy. But I still want the engagement point earlier! Any way to adjust the clutch?

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
There should be a numbered turn style dial on your clutch lever. If that does not do it, you might have to adjust it (if you can, I have not looked) at the cable near the clutch housing.
 
I get the impression our CB's have a fairly heavy flywheel. My bike clunks going into first gear, and can be clunky while downshifting in the wrong rpm range. Keeping the chain adjusted to the minimum one inch of slack, and changing to full synthetic oil have improved the smoothness for my CB.
 
xNE0x_imp said:
kDiqq_imp said:
Awesome!! Thank y'all! I rode for a long time today (I swear, only to test) and anything involving 2nd gear gives a fairly solid clunk, but really it's pretty smooth if I move my foot quick. Not hard, but quick. Which I know I should do anyways. So my bad. And the clutch issue is me not used to having to bring the clutch level out 100% to have it engage. I'm used to dual sports where I kept the engagement early to make feathering offroad easy. But I still want the engagement point earlier! Any way to adjust the clutch?

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
There should be a numbered turn style dial on your clutch lever. If that does not do it, you might have to adjust it (if you can, I have not looked) at the cable near the clutch housing.
There should be a numbered turn style dial on your clutch lever. If that does not do it, you might have to adjust it (if you can, I have not looked) at the cable near the clutch housing.
Uh-huh...(clears throat....)

The CB1100 has a Hydraulic clutch...no adjustment other than the lever on the handlebar.
 
Thread starter
Well I guess we can move on to next question lol so when the bike is first started, it starts idling at about 800rpm and eventually raises to 1000-1100. But when it's in the 800s and sometimes in the 1000 range, I get intermittent tapping under the stator cover...

Lol I'm beginning to think I just shouldn't buy stuff new anymore :P maybe I will just give up buying anything at all.

You'll have to forgive me, I really love the CB so much and I want it to be all okay!

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
 
kDiqq_imp said:
Well I guess we can move on to next question lol so when the bike is first started, it starts idling at about 800rpm and eventually raises to 1000-1100. But when it's in the 800s and sometimes in the 1000 range, I get intermittent tapping under the stator cover...

Lol I'm beginning to think I just shouldn't buy stuff new anymore :P maybe I will just give up buying anything at all.

You'll have to forgive me, I really love the CB so much and I want it to be all okay!

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
What you need to trust is, this is an old retro motor. There are noises, and some of which are ok. The best thing I can advise is if you are unsure, take it to the place you bought it and bring your concerns up to the dealer.
 
kDiqq_imp said:
Well I guess we can move on to next question lol so when the bike is first started, it starts idling at about 800rpm and eventually raises to 1000-1100. But when it's in the 800s and sometimes in the 1000 range, I get intermittent tapping under the stator cover...

Lol I'm beginning to think I just shouldn't buy stuff new anymore :P maybe I will just give up buying anything at all.

You'll have to forgive me, I really love the CB so much and I want it to be all okay!

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
Your initial idle speed sounds a bit low. And for it to start low, then settle in to a higher speed is also unusual.

Mine starts at 1150 to 1100 rpm then drops to a steady 1000 rpm as it warms up.

The noise under the stator cover also is not normal.

The previous advice to bring it in to your dealer is probably best, at least for your peace-of-mind. I know this is a "retro" model, but so far the impression I get from mine, is that it is an incredibly well-engineered engine without any odd noises. But then, my last bike, a Vulcan 1700, had one of the noisiest engines and clunkiest trannies of any bike on the market. By comparison, the CB1100 is whisper quiet.
 
When my CB doesn't shift as smoothly as I expect, I adjust the chain. More than one owner has noted that the CB is very sensitive to chain adjustment, and an out if adjustment condition manifests itself in sloppy shifting.
 
xNE0x_imp said:
kDiqq_imp said:
Awesome!! Thank y'all! I rode for a long time today (I swear, only to test) and anything involving 2nd gear gives a fairly solid clunk, but really it's pretty smooth if I move my foot quick. Not hard, but quick. Which I know I should do anyways. So my bad. And the clutch issue is me not used to having to bring the clutch level out 100% to have it engage. I'm used to dual sports where I kept the engagement early to make feathering offroad easy. But I still want the engagement point earlier! Any way to adjust the clutch?

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
There should be a numbered turn style dial on your clutch lever. If that does not do it, you might have to adjust it (if you can, I have not looked) at the cable near the clutch housing.
This has been mentioned a couple of times so I just wanted to make sure it was clear... the adjustment on the clutch lever adjusts the static position of the lever; it does not change where the clutch itself engages in the throw of the lever -- that will remain constant and can't be adjusted.
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
When my CB doesn't shift as smoothly as I expect, I adjust the chain. More than one owner has noted that the CB is very sensitive to chain adjustment, and an out if adjustment condition manifests itself in sloppy shifting.
I agree with the Spaceman. I keep my chain slack right at 1.25". An eighth more slack and I can feel the difference.
 
My 2014 Deluxe shifted poorly (audible clunking during shifts between all gears) when new, but it eventually broke in as the miles added up. I changed the motor oil at 500 miles ( to a 50/50 synthetic blend), but it didn't really start shifting better until after 1,000 miles.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
I had a noisy tranny once.... umm... wait. wrong forum. nevermind.
Mate, here down under, a tranny could be either a transistor radio (now largely extinct) or a transvestite. Of those, one could be expected to be noisy, but the other ....? :banana:
 
Back
Top