ClassicVW_imp
Road warrior
Where is it said that they purposely put in more vibration? I'd like to read that.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Honda, imo, made a mistake of trying to time in the old school feel. Really a dumb thing to do. You think so!!! You have been a member here a long time, its not like you weren't fore warned. Now you want to sell a bike you have owned for about a month? I don't think your going to be happy with the 2014 either, there identical.AndyHe_imp said:Honda, imo, made a mistake of trying to time in the old school feel. Really a dumb thing to do. You think so!!! You have been a member here a long time, its not like you weren't fore warned. Now you want to sell a bike you have owned for about a month? I don't think your going to be happy with the 2014 either, there identical.CIP57_imp said:Honda, imo, made a mistake of trying to time in the old school feel. Really a dumb thing to do. You think so!!! You have been a member here a long time, its not like you weren't fore warned. Now you want to sell a bike you have owned for about a month? I don't think your going to be happy with the 2014 either, there identical.OldF7Guy_imp said:Going to disagree a bit. 750 Nighthawks are electric smooth. I mean you cant get any better. CB1100s not so much. I have a buzz in my stock grips at 4k or so. Its not bad I cant stand it but I dont like it. Honda, imo, made a mistake of trying to time in the old school feel. Really a dumb thing to do.The ferret_imp said:Rocket I think he is just wondering what the CB 1100 would be like if Honda had not set the valve timing to produce the feeling it does at certain rpms.
I don't personally think it would feel much different.
Im a sucker for retro stuff but I want the modern tech. THe 1100 could have been even better imo. Not complaining but just saying.
Hm, looks like this generates some strong reactions and I can understand why. Some people really like the bike as it is, others wonder what it would have been like had Honda not made a few changes to make the bike more "retro".
While I agree that the bike is very different from a CB1000R which is why I like it and it doesn't have to be fully modern (such as the CBR's 124HP and much better suspension), I'm not quite sure I agree with the rational of taking a fine inline four and purposely making it not work as well as it could given it's design. It's one thing to say "how can we take this fine inline four and make it better" but another to say "this fine inline four is just too smooth... let's make it rougher" which is what they admit to in the engineer's viewpoint piece that Honda published.
Now I will complete admit I'm a noob here as I haven't even picked up my bike. But I will also say that from an engineer's viewpoint, I understand OldF7Guy's point that it may have been a mistake to go as far as putting in a camshaft that explicitly is suboptimal just for more vibration.
Definitely will get some miles on it before I decide to do anything that radical.Houtman_imp said:Do give it enough time before you make changes , I have hardly any vibration on both of my CB 1100's

You know, I have serious doubts about these "conversations" with the design team. It's straight out of Honda PR. I think the concept of the CB1100 was knocked out on a Friday evening after a few stress levelling bottles of Saki, translated to a drawing on the back of a paper napkin during a recovery session on Saturday morning and was in production on Monday. I love it.Insolentsquid_imp said:Jeez there's some touchy people out there!
All he asked was "i wonder what the engine would be like if they hadn't designed some character into it" and all of a sudden he's being burned at the stake for blasphemy!
Let's face it, the bike is an oddball - instead of being designed to meet a demand in the market which would lead to a profitable line of sales, it seems to have been designed almost as an indulgence to one man's ideal of a superbike from his youth with the gnarly bits knocked off.
We saw, we test rode, we shared the indulgence.
I still smile when I imagine the conversation where the engine designers were told:
"Yes we KNOW that you can make this engine as smooth as a baby's bottom, but......."
.
. It's not quite perfect yet, but much better.You know, I have serious doubts about these "conversations" with the design team. It's straight out of Honda PR. I think the concept of the CB1100 was knocked out on a Friday evening after a few stress levelling bottles of Saki, translated to a drawing on the back of a paper napkin during a recovery session on Saturday morning and was in production on Monday. I love it.Pterodactyl_imp said:You know, I have serious doubts about these "conversations" with the design team. It's straight out of Honda PR. I think the concept of the CB1100 was knocked out on a Friday evening after a few stress levelling bottles of Saki, translated to a drawing on the back of a paper napkin during a recovery session on Saturday morning and was in production on Monday. I love it.Insolentsquid_imp said:Jeez there's some touchy people out there!
All he asked was "i wonder what the engine would be like if they hadn't designed some character into it" and all of a sudden he's being burned at the stake for blasphemy!
Let's face it, the bike is an oddball - instead of being designed to meet a demand in the market which would lead to a profitable line of sales, it seems to have been designed almost as an indulgence to one man's ideal of a superbike from his youth with the gnarly bits knocked off.
We saw, we test rode, we shared the indulgence.
I still smile when I imagine the conversation where the engine designers were told:
"Yes we KNOW that you can make this engine as smooth as a baby's bottom, but.......".
Cheers
. Oh, well, Pterodactyl. That's good news. You're getting SOMETHING from Santa this year.Insolentsquid_imp said:You know, I have serious doubts about these "conversations" with the design team. It's straight out of Honda PR. I think the concept of the CB1100 was knocked out on a Friday evening after a few stress levelling bottles of Saki, translated to a drawing on the back of a paper napkin during a recovery session on Saturday morning and was in production on Monday. I love it.Pterodactyl_imp said:You know, I have serious doubts about these "conversations" with the design team. It's straight out of Honda PR. I think the concept of the CB1100 was knocked out on a Friday evening after a few stress levelling bottles of Saki, translated to a drawing on the back of a paper napkin during a recovery session on Saturday morning and was in production on Monday. I love it.Insolentsquid_imp said:Jeez there's some touchy people out there!
All he asked was "i wonder what the engine would be like if they hadn't designed some character into it" and all of a sudden he's being burned at the stake for blasphemy!
Let's face it, the bike is an oddball - instead of being designed to meet a demand in the market which would lead to a profitable line of sales, it seems to have been designed almost as an indulgence to one man's ideal of a superbike from his youth with the gnarly bits knocked off.
We saw, we test rode, we shared the indulgence.
I still smile when I imagine the conversation where the engine designers were told:
"Yes we KNOW that you can make this engine as smooth as a baby's bottom, but.......".
Cheers.
Cheers
Ptero, you are a cynic.
I have written to Santa Claus; and for you my doubting friend, there will only be a lump of coal in your stocking this Christmas.

EmptySea_imp said:It seems pretty smooth to me regardless of Honda's intent (which, by the way, was not to make the CB "buzz"). I don't notice any buzzing at any RPM. In almost every review of this bike, they comment specifically on how smooth it is.
I guess if changing the timing added horsepower, I can see the point of it. However, the bike is plenty fast as is. There are lots of bikes that are faster, but few that feel as good to ride. The feel is what they engineered in, if they actually did. Questioning the valve timing seems to me to be the same as questioning why they chose it to make it air-cooled and the answers are the same...because they were attempting to capture a feeling. I think they did a fine job.
And here's a tech tip if you are getting a buzzing at 4000 rpm: step 1. twist throttle step 2. Keep twisting until the buzzing stops or you are going so fast that you stop noticing it. :biker:
You know, I have serious doubts about these "conversations" with the design team. It's straight out of Honda PR. I think the concept of the CB1100 was knocked out on a Friday evening after a few stress levelling bottles of Saki, translated to a drawing on the back of a paper napkin during a recovery session on Saturday morning and was in production on Monday. I love it.Insolentsquid_imp said:You know, I have serious doubts about these "conversations" with the design team. It's straight out of Honda PR. I think the concept of the CB1100 was knocked out on a Friday evening after a few stress levelling bottles of Saki, translated to a drawing on the back of a paper napkin during a recovery session on Saturday morning and was in production on Monday. I love it.Pterodactyl_imp said:You know, I have serious doubts about these "conversations" with the design team. It's straight out of Honda PR. I think the concept of the CB1100 was knocked out on a Friday evening after a few stress levelling bottles of Saki, translated to a drawing on the back of a paper napkin during a recovery session on Saturday morning and was in production on Monday. I love it.Insolentsquid_imp said:Jeez there's some touchy people out there!
All he asked was "i wonder what the engine would be like if they hadn't designed some character into it" and all of a sudden he's being burned at the stake for blasphemy!
Let's face it, the bike is an oddball - instead of being designed to meet a demand in the market which would lead to a profitable line of sales, it seems to have been designed almost as an indulgence to one man's ideal of a superbike from his youth with the gnarly bits knocked off.
We saw, we test rode, we shared the indulgence.
I still smile when I imagine the conversation where the engine designers were told:
"Yes we KNOW that you can make this engine as smooth as a baby's bottom, but.......".
Cheers.
Cheers
Ptero, you are a cynic.
I have written to Santa Claus; and for you my doubting friend, there will only be a lump of coal in your stocking this Christmas.
. 
Very true Guth. They are already here and I believe development will continue at an exponential rate. The hold ups are obvious, power pack technology and the means of quick charge or replacement. Maybe a common standard as well. Remember Beta versus VHS and other similar fiascos.Guth_imp said:I can understand pondering what "might have been". I can understand wishing for something even better. That's human nature for you. Smooth to one person is boring to another. What some people find to be character others find to be irritating. The CB1100 is what it is, and purposely so according to Honda. The only mistake here is if someone bought the bike despite it's character, shortcomings, etc. and ended up finding that they didn't enjoy the bike. That happens with all bikes, not just the CB1100.
Now here is some food for thought: at some point down the road all motorcycles will probably be electric and redefine what smooth can really be.