Valve Cover Scaling

emptysea

Road warrior
Thread starter
Is this something I should be worried about? I made the mistake of cleaning my bike today and noticed this on each end of the cover (facing forward). I don't know how long it's been like this but I would have thought I would have noticed it if it's been there for a while.

If it is of any interest to you troubleshooters, I just had my 24,000 mile service completed.

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

 
It probably wont affect sealing, but it looks bad. How much have you ridden in the cold weather with salt around? That looks a lot like the damage that occurs on aluminum wheels under the clearcoat.
 
Thread starter
I ride in the winter and really don't have much opportunity to clean it afterward. I was thinking the same thing and if it's something from the outside, that's fine. I can live with discoloration and some pitting/scaling. I'm just a bit concerned that it's the result of some sort of mechanical issue (like a leaking gasket or something).
 
There was a lot t of posting on the U.K. Forum about 'fin rot' which, as I understand it, looks a lot like that. After nearly 70,000 kms, I've got plenty of it. I don't think it points to any serious problems with the bike. Rather it's an example of the less-than-perfect build quality of the bike.
 
I work with polished metals, exposed to harsh environments, all the time. Unfortunately, this oxidization process is inevitable. It is a matter of the quality of the clear coat that determines how long it will take. You can strip and polish them and then re-clear coat, I suggest a ceramic coating, or strip and paint. This is one reason I preferred the black paint on the aluminum on my 14 standard!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
 
I have some of that on my wheels on all my Honda vehicles..including the CB, ( even the Accord,and Ridgeline) and some on my engine covers on my CB. Too much riding, not enough cleaning lol.
Cormanus_imp said:
There was a lot t of posting on the U.K. Forum about 'fin rot' which, as I understand it, looks a lot like that. After nearly 70,000 kms, I've got plenty of it. I don't think it points to any serious problems with the bike. Rather it's an example of the less-than-perfect build quality of the bike.
Cormanus I think this is different from the fin rot problem, that was paint flaking from the cylinder fins. There is no paint on the part that MTC has the oxidation on.
 
Thread starter
Thanks guys. So long as no one thinks it's an indicator of a gasket leak or something of that nature, I'm fine.
 
Sea, I was just out in the garage and noticed some of that in the same place on mine. Right front valve cover. Didn't check the left front lol.
 
It really works well. The main downside is that it attracts dirt. You have to be willing to ride a dirty-looking bike during the winter, then do a thorough spring cleaning.
 
Stichill_imp said:
It really works well. The main downside is that it attracts dirt. You have to be willing to ride a dirty-looking bike during the winter, then do a thorough spring cleaning.
Well, Ferret and Cormanus are IN. :P. :D
 
Pterodactyl has sung the praises of ACF-50 on this forum, if I recall.

Ferret, thanks for the information.

I'm certainly in, popgun, with no promise that there will be a spring clean if the weather's good for riding.
 
It's the clear coat wearing off and exposing the aluminum to oxidation (corrosion). Cosmetic damage only.
If you ever do avalve adjustment, that's the time to strip and polish the cover. Or have it ceramic coated.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Pterodactyl has sung the praises of ACF-50 on this forum, if I recall.

Ferret, thanks for the information.

I'm certainly in, popgun, with no promise that there will be a spring clean if the weather's good for riding.

COrmanus speaks for me as well. :thanks:
 
Thread starter
If someone wants to bring a can of this magic elixir to Eureka Springs and clean my bike up while I sleep or relax by the pool, that would be awesome. Otherwise, I will likely just live with the discoloration. LOL
 
I have that in spades on my bike, I assume from a combo of coastal riding, occasionally damp riding, and Honda going a little cheap on the clear coat. Forward-facing surfaces are affected. I'm pretty sure those cam covers and the side cases (affected on mine) are clearcoated. Purely a cosmetic issue.

Bugs me, because it takes away from such a beautiful bike, and the engine is prominently showcased, but I seem to keep choosing riding over polishing and re-spraying them with high temp clearcoat.
 
LOL yea I make the same choice. My thoughts are so what if it's a little blemished, no one is going to give me anything for a really high mileage CB anyway, when there are ridiculously low mileage garage queens out there for sale cheap. I am going to get my moneys worth out of mine.
 
It goes,without saying that I'm with The Ferret and Rolls! :D
 
Back
Top