Valencia - *** SPOILER ALERT ***

CB4ME_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Marquez has a chance to set the wins-per-season record. Suzuki debuts its new MotoGP bike.

Twelve points separate Rossi (275) and Lorenzo (263) for second place. A 1st and 4th, 2nd and 8th, or 3rd and 12th would result in a points tie. Does anyone know who has the highest number of race wins in 2014, Rossi or Lorenzo?
 
Sweet..festivities start at 7:30 am around these parts..ch 219 Fox Sports 1


Hope Rossi gets a good start! Pedrosa too.
 
pechorin75_imp said:
Rossi takes pole! 50th in premiere class and first since 2010. Iannone and Pedrosa also on first row.
Fantastic! So many, me included, thought Rossi washed up a few years back. I've never been so glad to be wrong.
 
Speaking of Rossi's extended slump...this may be old news to everybody here, but in case not: For those with Netflix, a documentary called "Fastest" is definitely worth watching (it's available via streaming and (I assume) DVD as well). It's an excellent look at MotoGP from roughly 2006 - 2010, with a lot of material on Rossi. I must have watched it about ten times now. It's what got me hooked on the sport...before that I'd never paid much attention.

Anyway, it's interesting to watch with hindsight, knowing how things went w/ Rossi at Ducati (though it seems like the broken leg in 2010 was when things really started to go wrong)...knowing about Stoner's retirement...knowing about Simoncelli...etc.
 
Thread starter
The new Honda Open Class bike with the 2015 pneumatic valve engine will be ridden at Valencia by Hiroshi Aoyama. It will be interesting to see how he does.

After the race, the other riders get their first practice on 2015 machines, also at Valencia. Nicky Haden will ride the new open class Honda, Scott Redding and Cal Crutchlow will test factory Hondas, Vinales and A Espargaro wil be on the new Suzuki and Bautista will be on the new Aprilla.

It's good to see new manufacturers join the fray. Jack Miller will get his first taste of MotoGP on an open class Honda.

As much as I'd like to see arc Marquez set the record, I'm pulling for Rossi.
 
pechorin75_imp said:
Speaking of Rossi's extended slump...this may be old news to everybody here, but in case not: For those with Netflix, a documentary called "Fastest" is definitely worth watching (it's available via streaming and (I assume) DVD as well). It's an excellent look at MotoGP from roughly 2006 - 2010, with a lot of material on Rossi. I must have watched it about ten times now. It's what got me hooked on the sport...before that I'd never paid much attention.

Anyway, it's interesting to watch with hindsight, knowing how things went w/ Rossi at Ducati (though it seems like the broken leg in 2010 was when things really started to go wrong)...knowing about Stoner's retirement...knowing about Simoncelli...etc.

I've been following the World Championship since 1966, back when they ran 125, 350 and 500s. Used to also follow the Grand National Championship in the USA until it got all broken up.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Sweet..festivities start at 7:30 am around these parts..ch 219 Fox Sports 1


Hope Rossi gets a good start! Pedrosa too.

Moto3 kicks off at 8:45pm for us down under. Fox Sports5. Nice dinner, glass of red and then watch it all unfold. Perfect.

MM for a win. Rossi for runner up in the championship. Moto3 - I don't think Miller will out point AM. I guess, as an Aussie, I would love to see Miller make it. Miller needs a first and AM to finish fourth(?) or worse. Miller has to go hard, AM can play a more cautious game if he is happy to get the Championship ahead of an outright win. Miller might get lucky, it's an exciting and unpredictable class.

In any case let's all hope for some exciting racing.

Cheers
 
redbirds_imp said:
Good to see Suzuki back in it for this race. Hope they do well next year with Vinales and Espargaro.
You are right there. All the more (manufactures) the merrier.

Cheers
Ferret, hope you can do your ***** spoiler alert ***** thing when the games commence. Then we won't have to play coy.

Cheers again.
 
He had pulled in and switch to rain tires, but it never rained. He lost so much time he gave up
 
Yea it was a gamble on Lorenzo's part. I bet with Marquez and Pedrosas last fiasco in the rain, it really messed with their minds.
Sorry to see Suzuki dash into the garage and close the door on about lap 13.
 
Thread starter
Poor Jorge, what was he thinking? I can understand if the rain gets serious, but his swap to wet tires was way premature.

I enjoyed Fast Freddie's race commentary and the opportunity to actually see Nick Harris instead of just hearing him. What a great career for both.
 
After missing the last 3 races, I finally got to watch this last race of the season.
It will be a LONG time 'till I get to see more MotoGP as well as baseball, the only 2 sports I really give a darn about.
Thank God for YouTube!
 
Well both MotoGP and Moto3 panned out much as I felt they would, with the exception of the Lorenzo fiasco. Moto3 provided the usual nail biting battle to the death. Until the final few laps that is. Earlier on, AM looked as though he might give it a try for a win but after a bit of "roughing up" decided third place was enough. As it was. Miller rode at his best and did all he could do. That is, win. Any chance of him blocking and bunching the field in the hope that AM might falter disappeared when Viñales took off and opened up a gap. Post race Miller wasn't happy and I understand that. Earlier in the season he lost a lot of points after coming off in a very dubious "racing incident". Good luck AM, bad luck Jack.

A lot of riders swapping horses for next season. Let's hope next season provides us with the thrills this one did. Next season testing starts tomorrow so a chance to see riders on their new steeds, including Miller on a GP Honda and the Suzis getting primed up. I've got the recorder set.

Cheers, and hope you enjoyed Valencia.
 
Jorge going from hero to zero. After the Aragon race I made the comment that Lorenzo got lucky for pulling in so early, and that it really was the result of him really not liking to ride in tricky conditions. It paid out big time there, and it seems some had made the comment he made the decision due his years of experience. I think yesterday showed this was not really the case as he made the same gamble again, and this time did not get so lucky. It was obvious that with some rain on the track he was nowhere, and clearly the only thing for him to do then was to take the gamble.

This has been as much about Marquez confirming his genius as it has been about Rossi coming back to the top. I can imagine now that his goal will be to try and beat Bayliss' record of the oldest winner of a GP race. Certainly I hope he will continue to entertain us for a while longer, and to give Marquez a run for his money from time to time.

Finally, too funny with Luthi in the Moto2. After having tried to pass Rabat, he was all set for a second place, and looked like he had no idea what had happened as he won the race! Great second half of a season for him, and if he could have had Aegerter's first half of a season...
 
Back
Top