Using Galaxy S5 Android as a GPS questions

DBM_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I am a long time Samsung Android user. I recently upgraded from a Galaxy S5 to a Note 8. Love the new phone, and the horsepower increase has been amazing. I am looking for advice on using my old phone as a redneck GPS on my new street bike. Here is my plan, let me know if this will work or what set up/free apps would work better. I want to use Goolge Maps as my app if possible. I want to hang my old S5 from my bars using a secure RAM mount The S5 no longer has a SIM card, so l need WiFi and/or Bluetooth to connect. I would like to use my Note 8 as a hot spot for my S5 when on the bike to allow Google Maps to work. Is this possible? What wireless connection works best between 2 phones? Wifi or Bluetooth? What say you?
 
I’m an iPhone user so forgive me if I’m missing a detail here. If this setup requires using two phones, one for display and one as the WiFi source, why not just use the single working phone for gps?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
chync_imp said:
I’m an iPhone user so forgive me if I’m missing a detail here. If this setup requires using two phones, one for display and one as the WiFi source, why not just use the single working phone for gps?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good point. Plus you get the added feature of seeing if someone is calling you.
 
I'm sure you know that you can download maps of any area you want over wi-fi and use them offline for 1 month? In this way, even if you don't have a SIM card&data plan you only lose the live traffic data, otherwise most other aspects are the same. I use my old Sony Xperia Z5 for Google Maps all the time on the CB as a standalone GPS. I installed a USB socket on the upper fork leg, to power it and that was it, after (down)grading to BlackBerry Classic as main phone. It even reminds you when to update the offline maps.
 
Thread starter
tuareg_imp said:
I'm sure you know that you can download maps of any area you want over wi-fi and use them offline for 1 month? In this way, even if you don't have a SIM card&data plan you only lose the live traffic data, otherwise most other aspects are the same. I use my old Sony Xperia Z5 for Google Maps all the time on the CB as a standalone GPS. I installed a USB socket on the upper fork leg, to power it and that was it, after (down)grading to BlackBerry Classic as main phone. It even reminds you when to update the offline maps.
Awesome. So l can download a map or route on my S5 at home over my wifi connection, then use that download offline on the bike?
 
Yes. Or install an app like Sygic and buy the map you want once and it will work without a network connection.

You’ll need to power the phone though. Using GPS maps sucks the juice out of them.
 
Right. Even the Xperia with its huge battery is drained after 1 hr.
One more thing to be careful about is, to lock(or disable) the screen rotation, otherwise sometimes the map flips when leaning into a curve and does not flip back on the straight. I don't think a real GPS would do that. Can be a real pain in the neck :D
 
Thread starter
tuareg_imp said:
Right. Even the Xperia with its huge battery is drained after 1 hr.
One more thing to be careful about is, to lock(or disable) the screen rotation, otherwise sometimes the map flips when leaning into a curve and does not flip back on the straight. I don't think a real GPS would do that. Can be a real pain in the neck :D
Thanks fellas for the help.
 
Ditto what the others have said. I use an older Motorola phone with Google maps as my GPS. If I plan my route ahead of time, I get the option to download maps before I leave if there's going to be poor connectivity. Also, a power bank / battery in my tank bag negates the need for wiring a USB port to the bike. I've gone on 8 hour rides with full GPS and still had plenty of juice left.
 
I ran a USB port to the handlebars and zip tied it to the side of my Ram Mount.
 
Thread starter
Roper_imp said:
Ditto what the others have said. I use an older Motorola phone with Google maps as my GPS. If I plan my route ahead of time, I get the option to download maps before I leave if there's going to be poor connectivity. Also, a power bank / battery in my tank bag negates the need for wiring a USB port to the bike. I've gone on 8 hour rides with full GPS and still had plenty of juice left.
Yup. Bought a power bank as a back up power supply. Im almost ready to give it a go. Just need to find a good sturdy handle bar mount.
 
DBM, there's the tried and true RAM mount. I personally prefer the Topeak weather proof system which has a waterproof case that clicks onto a handlebar mount.
 
Back
Top