US Tool Kit - Kicking a dead horse.

Uberjason_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Honda's lack of tool kit made me long for the complete set. I know these numbers are posted elsewhere in the forum, but if anyone would like to see what it looks like. Enjoy!

589d20f61bdd9403618a1e9f325e9e45.jpg


Lame included toolkit:

80225759062e2278e4940ecfc9cfba40.jpg


All tools (sorry for dark table)

88d04552c9cb2b4b5aa7e63fdec2378d.jpg


I scored them here
 
At the very least, the spark plug tool and shock adjuster should have been included.
 
Feel like I'm back in the 70's looking at that kit. Should be standard, what could the cost be $30.00 add it to MSRP. Oh wait, they don't want you to work on your bike:dodgy:
 
Thread starter
I fully understand Honda not wanting us to work on the bike, not like I'd use these "mini" tools to do any real work. I wanted them for the unfortunate side of the road issue, or heck, to help a fellow biker in need.
 
The idea that Honda doesn't want Americans to work on their bikes doesn't make sense to me. The CB1100 came standard with the complete tool kit in Australia. There must be some other reason.
 
The only reason I can imagine is to save a few bucks. For many years now, the non-tool kit has been standard on most U.S. Hondas.

When I first saw the toolkit on my new bike I felt sure that it must have been a mistake. Every bike I'd bought in the past had come with a kit that would at least allow one to adjust a chain or pull a tire on the side of the road.
 
The tools are available separately. You can order them from your dealer if you want, or the online Honda parts sites.

The best part is the plastic bag the owners manual comes in. Basically a sandwich bag. And it costs 3 or 4 bucks from Honda! LOL

Canada also gets the full tool set.
 
Yea, I guess. I was just flabbergasted when I got the seat up
and saw the tool kit bag that I found the handle to the screw drivers
and the phillips head screw driver. WTF!!!!
Come on Honda!!!!!!
I know that back when you first came ashore here in America you
never thought that PEOPLE!!! would work on your jewels.
I mean you didn't know/understand Americans then but 65 - 70
years later?
With the cost of Manuals you get these days it's got to be a new
profit center.
Come on! Man!!!!
 
My guess is that most American riders never used most of the tools back when Honda provided them. The folks that are on this, or any, forum are much more involved in this activity and are more likely to turn their own wrenches, but we are in the minority.

For me, a newer rider who hasn't worked on his own vehicles in 20+ years, I couldn't care less that Honda didn't include a full tool set. In fact, I was pleasantly surprised to find any tools at all. Now that I have a slight urge to do some maintence and mods myself, I will be purchasing tools for the job and they will probably be of better quality than Honda would have provided anyway.

If I were a Honda dealer, I would stock a few complete tool kits in my store and offer them as dealer option at the point of purchase or, if the cost was low enough, toss the kit in as a bonus for making the purchase. I'd do the same with a small first-aid kit, too, btw.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
My guess is that most American riders never used most of the tools back when Honda provided them. The folks that are on this, or any, forum are much more involved in this activity and are more likely to turn their own wrenches, but we are in the minority.

For me, a newer rider who hasn't worked on his own vehicles in 20+ years, I couldn't care less that Honda didn't include a full tool set. In fact, I was pleasantly surprised to find any tools at all. Now that I have a slight urge to do some maintence and mods myself, I will be purchasing tools for the job and they will probably be of better quality than Honda would have provided anyway.

If I were a Honda dealer, I would stock a few complete tool kits in my store and offer them as dealer option at the point of purchase or, if the cost was low enough, toss the kit in as a bonus for making the purchase. I'd do the same with a small first-aid kit, too, btw.
That's an excellent idea MTC and one that many customers would opt for I think. I always put together a tool roll for any new bike I get. Most Japanese makes require a complete kit but European models seem to be better. My Moto Guzzi Breva had a very nice kit and decent quality tools.
 
gossman_imp said:
Wouldn't a Harbor Freight proved the same quality at half the price?
That was my thought, also - just make a list of what you're likely to need, and buy quality tools and bag and wrap them.

Realistically, the only tools I've used on the road are screwdrivers and once, a wrench. Between unleaded gasoline and fuel-injection (which prevents flooding) there's really no reason to pull a spark plug...and I've never had one loosen on a cycle. Chain adjustment on the road, yes - but spark plugs?

There is no working on a carburetor. There are no points to fail. MOST of the design is bulletproof, insofar as owner-repairable road failures go. Oil, chain and axles, and chain adjustment, basically.

A set of good, compact wrenches in a tough plastic bag should do it.
 
What I carry.everything I need to lube and adjust the chain, get to the battery and pull it, pull a fuse or get to a headlight, turn signal or tail light bulb. I can also adjust the rear shock but probably don't actually need that on the road. I also carry a flat repair kit on trips in case of a flat. That's about all I have the mechanical ability do to this bike on the side of the road anyway



[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/2008_04100004-1.jpg.html]

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/CBtools001_zps891aacbf.jpg.html]
 
Back
Top