Urgent Tire Replacement Help

CB for CST_imp

New to the forum
Thread starter
Hi guys,

I introduced myself in the new member thread a few days ago. Many of you gave me warm welcomes and for that I'm grateful, I hope to contribute more to the forum in the future.

As was discussed a little in my introduction thread, I need new tires ASAP. One of my tires could be as old as 2008. I've seen many other threads with lots of back-and-forth over which tires perform best, different sizes, brands, etc. If any of you could just tell me a quick summary of what tires you recommend and why. I don't know anything about bigger tires vs. what is considered OEM and the pros and cons. Ideally I'd like to stick to the middle of the road (ha) on my budget.

I understand the importance of learning all the ins and outs and I can do that later. I've just completed one of six 12-hour shifts and ideally I'd like to just be able to check the replies, find a good fit, and order them since I'll be working the next few days anyways (it'll cut down on my thumb-twiddling waiting time). I really don't want to ride the bike much until I can get some reliable and SAFE tires on there. :huh:

Thank you all. I'll be reading your replies at work tomorrow. Cheers!
:D

2014 Honda CB1100
 
The trouble with tyres for the CB1100 is the rim diameter of 18”. There are not many tyres of the right size available.

The OEM size is 110/80/18 front and 140/70/18 rear. It is hard to find radial tyre in that size. Metzler make some, Bridgestone Battlax T46 (cross ply), Bridgestone T32 (radial) and Pirelli Sport Demon (cross ply) are some available. The T32s get some positive reviews here.

Because of the difficulty of getting radials in the OEM size, some of us have gone for larger tyres. Of those, I think the only one still a available is the Pirelli Angel GT which has an OEM size front and a 160/60/18 rear. They’re good tyres if you can get them. Some have also gone with a 120/70/18 front in the Angel GT.

I hope that helps.
 
Yeah, 18" rim.
Presently I have Angel GT, 110/front and 160/rear for my std. Totally, I went through 2-3 sets of Angel GT, no complaints.
My DLX has Angel GT, 110/front and Metzeler 140/rear
Next time my tires are due for replacement, I think I will choose between Angel GT or Bridgestone T32 or mix
Metzeler give very good performance but has shorter life, especially the rear one.
:biker:
 
Angle GTs are great. I have them on both of my bikes.
 
As Cormanus said, the rim size is what will determine what tire/tyre you end up with. Tires for an 18inch rim are few and far between. I did find Cycle Gear advertising Bridgestone Battlax T32 tires in 110/80-18 front ($186.15) and 140/70-18 ($238.22 ) rear.
Other places I looked today did not have the sizes for the CB.
I looked at Metzler Z-8, which I have and couldn't find any available in the size for the CB. Also looked at the Angels and couldn't find any in our sizes.
Hope this helps.
:biker:
 
Thanks for that link, pekingduck. Interesting.

Popgun, who makes Angle GTs? :angel:
 
Cormanus,

Angle GTs are made by a small company named Peretti ;)
 
Thank you, milord. I’ll look out for them.
 
Randy B_imp said:
I run the factory Battle Axe BT54 tires. My only complaint is that the front tire is a bit thin, but it wears fairly well for me.

Bridgestone Battlax BT-54 Sport Touring Radial Rear Tire | ChapMoto.com

Bridgestone Battlax BT-54 Sport Touring Radial Front Tire | ChapMoto.com
My Battlax OEM BT54s had uber long tread life, but were stiff and did not behave the best in turns. I think many other Forum folks had similar experiences.

Bridgestone's other Battlax models like the A41 is a much improved experience having both good tread life and superb road wet/dry handling. Unfortunately, not available for the CB1100.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Randy B_imp said:
I run the factory Battle Axe BT54 tires. My only complaint is that the front tire is a bit thin, but it wears fairly well for me.

Bridgestone Battlax BT-54 Sport Touring Radial Rear Tire | ChapMoto.com

Bridgestone Battlax BT-54 Sport Touring Radial Front Tire | ChapMoto.com
My Battlax OEM BT54s had uber long tread life, but were stiff and did not behave the best in turns. I think many other Forum folks had similar experiences.

Bridgestone's other Battlax models like the A41 is a much improved experience having both good tread life and superb road wet/dry handling. Unfortunately, not available for the CB1100.
My Battlax OEM BT54s had uber long tread life, but were stiff and did not behave the best in turns. I think many other Forum folks had similar experiences.

Bridgestone's other Battlax models like the A41 is a much improved experience having both good tread life and superb road wet/dry handling. Unfortunately, not available for the CB1100.
I haven't had issues with mine, but I am a bit heavier (275 lbs) and I think that might make them feel a bit more compliant to me.
I haven't noticed them feeling off to me in turns either, but I'm also coming from the 750 Nighthawks where I exclusively ran the factory Dunlop K505's. I dunno, maybe I'm just not as tuned into my tires?
 
Back
Top