Upside down

LongRanger_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
As much as I love my DLX, I must admit that I'm completely enamored by the new Thruxton. Assuming it reasonably fits me, which isn't a sure thing (I'm 6'6"), I will likely sell the Honda to make room for the Triumph. I don't even know how much it costs. Any guess as to how upside-down this will leave me? The DLX is probably worth $7k, so I'm thinking another $7k out of pocket. This is for the non-R model.
 
Can't really blame your thinking. I would love to have both. At a full foot taller than me, I'm surprised that we both can be comfortable on the CB. I don't know how the fit of the new Thruxton would be but it is a gorgeous bike and from the latest account, fast and great handling also.

I read the R model is about $14K but comes with adjustable Ohlins front and rear plus the electronics package.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
As much as I love my DLX, I must admit that I'm completely enamored by the new Thruxton. Assuming it reasonably fits me, which isn't a sure thing (I'm 6'6"), I will likely sell the Honda to make room for the Triumph. I don't even know how much it costs. Any guess as to how upside-down this will leave me? The DLX is probably worth $7k, so I'm thinking another $7k out of pocket. This is for the non-R model.
Looks like the base price is $12,500 on the Thruxton and $14,500 on the Thruxton R.

For fun, you can use their CONFIGURATOR to add available packages and accesories.
 
Their site lists a base of $12,500. I can't see these selling for less than MSRP -- I almost wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have a 'market value adjustment' tacked onto them by dealers when they first come out. Your estimate seems about right... If the difference between the R and non is only $1500, that's actually a pretty good deal, as the spread is probably half the value of the suspension alone, never mind all the electronics, radial Brembos, etc...
 
LongRanger_imp said:
As much as I love my DLX, I must admit that I'm completely enamored by the new Thruxton. Assuming it reasonably fits me, which isn't a sure thing (I'm 6'6"), I will likely sell the Honda to make room for the Triumph. I don't even know how much it costs. Any guess as to how upside-down this will leave me? The DLX is probably worth $7k, so I'm thinking another $7k out of pocket. This is for the non-R model.
I sat on one last Sunday at the Scottish bike show. I'm 6'3" and there was plenty of room for me. It looks fantastic.
 
I have a Thruxton, but I have to say that I love the CB's engine a whole lot more. Thruxton is also down on power, but great on looks.
 
Long Ranger...I think I read recently on another site that the Thruxton R's wheelbase is shorter than a Moto Guzzi's V7R, not by much...but still shorter. That being said at 6 foot in my socks I'm at the high end of what will fit comfortably on the MGV7R. Lots of folks consider the Guzzi V7 a small bike from the git-go. I'd be real interested to hear your take on the fit of the Thruxton after you ride it.
 
SCCBrider_imp said:
I have a Thruxton, but I have to say that I love the CB's engine a whole lot more. Thruxton is also down on power, but great on looks.
Ken they are talking about the liquid cooled 2016 model Thruxton.. 96 horsepower
 
I sat on a Thruxton several months ago because I loved the looks of it and I'd like to have a twin again. I'm 6' 1" and it felt like sitting on my CBR1000RR, which hurts my neck the older I get. :(
I decided then and there that it wouldn't work for me.
 
Thread starter
Frulk_imp said:
Long Ranger...I think I read recently on another site that the Thruxton R's wheelbase is shorter than a Moto Guzzi's V7R, not by much...but still shorter. That being said at 6 foot in my socks I'm at the high end of what will fit comfortably on the MGV7R. Lots of folks consider the Guzzi V7 a small bike from the git-go. I'd be real interested to hear your take on the fit of the Thruxton after you ride it.
Yep. I had a V7 Cafe Classic for a few months and found it too cramped for the type of riding I enjoy. Its cafe seat and low bars were similar to your V7R, but it had mid-mount pegs, not rear-sets, so I was really folded up on it. I replaced it with a standard V7 Classic, which fit me better. The V7C was ultimately replaced with the CB1100, which is better yet. We'll see if/how the Thruxton fits and go from there.
 
Triumph builds good bikes that look and ride great and has a good dealer network.
Check it out, if you still lust for it after sitting on it and riding it - and you probably will - go for it!
You know that a motorcycle, like a car, isn't an investment.
 
Thread starter
Placed a deposit on a silver Thruxton-R today and received a very nice, personalized "Welcome to the Bonneville Family" e-mail from Triumph, complete with promises to keep me posted on the assembly date, delivery date, etc. Very nice touch. Looks like I'm fourth in line at the dealership for a bike. If I fit on it, the DLX will be the sacrificial lamb. If not, I will get my deposit back and will continue to thoroughly enjoy the CB. It's a First World problem, I suppose.
 
Congrats LongRanger. They didnt have any bikes to even sit on?
 
Back
Top