Uphill battle....not!

Guth_imp said:
A few years ago when my CB was still somewhat new to me I was coming back from a visit to the Oregon coast. Heading back east on State Highway 26 there are some big sweeping turns as you head fairly steeply uphill over the coast range complete with a veryyy long passing lane. So I used that opportunity to take advantage of the much needed passing lane. (There are always plenty of RVs and big camper trailers coming back from the coast.) Before I knew it I was WAY over the speed limit as I was trying to get ahead of the last of the large slow moving vehicles with nothing but open road ahead and plenty of other motorists behind me hoping to do the same.

That was about the time I saw the state trooper sitting on the other side of the road. I was certain that he had seen me. After my heart dislodged itself from my throat it proceeded to sink into the pit of my stomach. I had already intended to slow down after making that final pass, but now I contemplated just pulling over. I cruised along for quite a long while before I realized that there was to be no pursuit. I enjoyed the rest of the ride home with a normal heartbeat intact.

To be honest, that was very much out of character for me. I just don't tend to speed in an aggressive manner very often. I've never owned a radar detector in my life for that matter. But in that particular case I got carried away as I was just plain having fun experiencing the CB1100 pulling me up that steep pass all lickity-split with no problems at all. While it's no excuse, it was all so effortless that I really had no idea just how fast I was going. It is true that there are plenty of faster bikes out there than the CB1100, but this bike is more than fast enough for me, speed limiter and all.
This reminds me of an incident: Back when I was riding an H-D Sportster Roadster, I was on my usual road, PCH, heading south into Newport Beach. I was at a light, and when the light went green, I was away. This bike had been modded with an aftermarket exhaust, before I bought it, and hadn't run well. I rejetted it, and what in improvement! So, leaving this light, I was on it, running it up through the gears and had just hit 5th, when on the side of the road ahead of me, behind some bushes, I saw a cop on a bike pointing something at me. I thought it was a decimeter, to measure decibels. All the local beach towns frown on loud exhaust, but this one wasn't real loud, but louder than stock. I immediately backed off it and went by. Sure enough, here he came after me. I pulled over and he came up to me and showed me the device. It was a laser velocity tester, and he had me at 75 in a 45 zone. Well, I said, can't argue with that. He was writing the ticket when I asked him for some consideration. He wanted to know why he should provide any consideration. I said I was just running up through the gears, and didn't know I was going that fast. He looked at me, paused a moment, and said, Well, since you didn't try to run any bullcrap story on me, I'm going to make this ticket for having no insurance card, a $10 ticket, rather than a $400 speeding ticket. I was good with that!
 
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
Guth_imp said:
A few years ago when my CB was still somewhat new to me I was coming back from a visit to the Oregon coast. Heading back east on State Highway 26 there are some big sweeping turns as you head fairly steeply uphill over the coast range complete with a veryyy long passing lane. So I used that opportunity to take advantage of the much needed passing lane. (There are always plenty of RVs and big camper trailers coming back from the coast.) Before I knew it I was WAY over the speed limit as I was trying to get ahead of the last of the large slow moving vehicles with nothing but open road ahead and plenty of other motorists behind me hoping to do the same.

That was about the time I saw the state trooper sitting on the other side of the road. I was certain that he had seen me. After my heart dislodged itself from my throat it proceeded to sink into the pit of my stomach. I had already intended to slow down after making that final pass, but now I contemplated just pulling over. I cruised along for quite a long while before I realized that there was to be no pursuit. I enjoyed the rest of the ride home with a normal heartbeat intact.

To be honest, that was very much out of character for me. I just don't tend to speed in an aggressive manner very often. I've never owned a radar detector in my life for that matter. But in that particular case I got carried away as I was just plain having fun experiencing the CB1100 pulling me up that steep pass all lickity-split with no problems at all. While it's no excuse, it was all so effortless that I really had no idea just how fast I was going. It is true that there are plenty of faster bikes out there than the CB1100, but this bike is more than fast enough for me, speed limiter and all.
This reminds me of an incident: Back when I was riding an H-D Sportster Roadster, I was on my usual road, PCH, heading south into Newport Beach. I was at a light, and when the light went green, I was away. This bike had been modded with an aftermarket exhaust, before I bought it, and hadn't run well. I rejetted it, and what in improvement! So, leaving this light, I was on it, running it up through the gears and had just hit 5th, when on the side of the road ahead of me, behind some bushes, I saw a cop on a bike pointing something at me. I thought it was a decimeter, to measure decibels. All the local beach towns frown on loud exhaust, but this one wasn't real loud, but louder than stock. I immediately backed off it and went by. Sure enough, here he came after me. I pulled over and he came up to me and showed me the device. It was a laser velocity tester, and he had me at 75 in a 45 zone. Well, I said, can't argue with that. He was writing the ticket when I asked him for some consideration. He wanted to know why he should provide any consideration. I said I was just running up through the gears, and didn't know I was going that fast. He looked at me, paused a moment, and said, Well, since you didn't try to run any bullcrap story on me, I'm going to make this ticket for having no insurance card, a $10 ticket, rather than a $400 speeding ticket. I was good with that!
That's the thing. Next month I'll have had my drivers license for 42 continuous years of operation. I realize that this actually pales in comparison to a number of you here on this forum, but in that period of time I have received just one speeding ticket (I was running late to a friends wedding when I in my mid 20's and I deserved that ticket). I attended the class to have that incident removed from my record. My record has been completely clean ever since then. I'm guessing that if had actually topped 100 MPH while passing those vehicles on my CB1100 that day then I surely would have been stopped. There would have been no argument on my part.

I've never ridden a crotch rocket or anything quicker than my CB1100. My S2000 can supposedly hit close to 150 MPH, but that will never happen when I'm behind the wheel out on public roads. In the case of the S2000 it is definitely not as quick as the CB. Both the CB1100 and the S2000 represent vehicles that I can have more than enough fun with without the need to insanely break the law. I can have plenty of fun within the restriction of the law with either of these and that is one of the things that I truly enjoy about them. I just can't relate to those who have a need for greater performance out on the street. I'm not trying to pi** on those who do, I am simply saying that I don't require anything more than what I have already. I knew that about myself going into my purchases and that is surely one of the reasons why I remain so incredibly happy with what I own. I definitely chose right when it comes to the CB1100.
 
I was always on the opposite end of the spectrum. Posted speed limits were merely friendly suggestions, akin to grandma telling the little ones not to go swimming right after eating a big meal. This was particularly the case up in the mountains and canyons, where there is simply no way to adhere to the posted 35 mph or 45 mph speed limits, not on a modern sportbike or sport standard, nor even on something as slow and leisurely as a CB1100.

Yeah, sorry, not happening. If the motor is running and the clutch lever has been released, the bike can't help but go faster than those arcane speed limits, which were engineered for '50s-era, slab-sided, ill-handling family sleds, not modern sporty motorcycles rolling on wide, grippy Michelin rubber. The moment you breathe on any modern literbike's throttle, or even any modern 600, you've blown straight through those numbers.

Different story on the freeway. Tooling down the highway, fine, even a fast motorcycle can be comfortably reined in to those more reasonable speed limits.
 
Like Guth I'm perfectly happy riding my motorcycles within the confines of the law +- 5 mph. For me choosing smooth lines, and maintaining my pace gives me more pleasure than seeing how fast I can go on the short straights before having to brake hard in order to safely make the next curve. Maybe it's the type of roads and curves I have to ride where I live, or maybe it's my age and the fact that years ago in my formative youth, I rode like a wild man and then one day became thankful that I survived that part of my life and decided it would behoove me to slow down some. At any rate I do know I'm happier riding now than at any point of my riding career, thoughly enjoying every single ride.I'm taking less chances, riding safer, well within my abilities, and in turn enjoying the ride more. I'm not riding at parade pace, but not at race pace either, more like Ferret pace lol.
 
I'm not talking about never exceeding the speed-limit, but the ability to maintain a license in good standing. As far as freeways are concerned — I can't stand them, period.
 
With no need to brake at all, and without gassing it up coming out of corners, any modern bike is blowing right through those 35-45 mph speed limits up in the mountains and canyons. Forget race pace, or even a fast street pace, we're talking simply rolling around in a single gear on a semi-constant throttle. Smooth momentum on its own sees you doing at least 15-20 above any of those antiquated speed limits. Touch the throttle at all, and you're doubling those numbers without even trying.

In fact, when I shut off the engine, click the tranny into neutral, and do brake-less coasting from my Reading Tree down to the bridge on Mosquito Ridge Rd, I'm quickly exceeding the speed limit. I've done so, many times. Brake-less/engine-less coasting, forcing the rider to rely on nothing but the bike's handling abilities, is a common teaching method on Mosquito Ridge.

The only way I can imagine staying within five mph of the speed limit up in the mountains and canyons, or on any twisty road, really, is to apply a mental throttle limiter, similar to the safety item on a child's PW50 dirtbike. "I will not go past this low rpm, or this low gear, ever. It's locked in."

Otherwise, even 3,500 RPM in third gear on a CB has you blasting past the speed limit. Bop up to a higher gear while maintaining 3,500 rpm, and you're doubling the speed limit, and 90% of the time you still don't need to touch the brakes.

Sorry, mickey, but if you're staying within five mph of the speed limit on a halfway decent twisty road, yep, you may as well be in a parade. You're not really riding so much as you're simply sitting on a motorcycle, Harley style, slow-rolling down Main St.

That's simply too much work for me. Too many mental gymnastics, and thoughts of nuns with rulers smacking my hands.
 
well our curvy roads are mostly a marked 55 mph and I usually run them 55 - 62 mph. I have gotten stuck behind groups of cruiser riders running a solid 45 slowing down to 35 -37 for the corners which I consider parade pace. Compared to them I'm virtually running race pace lol

If you are doubling the speed limit here, you'd be coasting at 110 mph . Not going to happen and still make all the curves.

In 5 CB rallies I've ridden with enough forum members here that can vouch that I don't dawdle along.
 
A posted limit of 55 mph usually means more of a wide-open sweeper-style of road, or highway. On those, sure, you're not going to double the speed limit without trying.

I'm talking twisty mountain or canyon roads, which are more of the 25-45 mph variety.
 
and that's why I quantified with " the types of roads and curves I have to ride". We don't have twisty mountain or canyon roads, we have rolling curves, farm fields and river bottoms. where I live is farm country, sail aroind a curve too fast and you might find a slow moving tractor or plow or harvester, or a live or a dead critter. The other day I had a bird day..I kid you not I had guinea fowl, ducks, turkeys and black headed vultures cross the road in front of me... and passed a flock of chickens at the very edge, all on the same day.... but it could have been pigs, goats, cows, deer, raccoons, opossum, or a farm dog as well , all of which I have had to brake for upon occasion. I had a river otter cross the road in front of me the other day I had to swerve for. First one of those I have ever seen. Also seen ladders, wheel barrows, mufflers, bumpers, wheel rims and whole broken down pick up trucks, stopped school buses, propane delivery trucks, old people in decades old Buick's going to or leaving church 20 mph under the speed limit....all around curves you couldn't see until you apexed the curve. Nothing like having to get on the brakes hard while leaned over. And very few passing zones. Get stuck behind a slow moving vehicle and it might be miles before you can legally or safely get around them. We don't have designated race track roads here, nobody sits and videos certain sections for You Tube. There is no gathering place for sport bike riders.(There are bars for the cruiser riders lol).We have to share every road with everyday people every day. Ride too fast here, and something is going to bite you eventually.Ask the 6 MC related deaths we'v had recently, 4 cruiser riders and 2 sport bike riders. Oh yea and lots of enforcement from local cops, County Sheriffs and State Highway Patrols. I see at least one of each on every ride, cruising, sitting, hiding running radar.

b252382f8ee240d2fa7c37c71f03e55c.jpg
 
I got poped by a tatooed Ak State Trooper last summer while riding on Prince of Wales Island. The speed limit is 50mph. I have no problem in my truck, with or without the camper in the back. 50 is OK. On my CB. Climbing up mountains swinging along above Big Salt Lake, down and around the mountain towards Black Bear Creek, 50 doesn't cut it. I got poped at 68 in a 50. He wrote me for 58. I've never riden anywhere with a population as low as it is on POW. I felt extremely safe and under control on my CB at under 70mph. 50 is 3\4 ton pick up speed. I thought I knew all the Troopers on the Island. This new guy wrote up a buddy @ 54 in his Camaro. If a deer or a bear or a wolf jumps out at you, anything over 20 mph is bad news. I'm glad I got the opportunity last year, but I'm not going to enjoy riding that slow. Not really worth trailering 3000+ miles to ride at 50.
 
Labrador, since you're from, well, Labrador, why would you even bother trailering your bike to get to remote, scenic, sparsely populated riding areas? You already live in that sort of Bucket List locale.

May as well save the time and hassle and stick to the deer, moose, and highway troopers you already know!

Yes, your neck of the woods way up there in the extreme NE has always been on my Bucket List. Absolutely.
 
I live in NW Pa. I have owned and trained Labrador Retrievers for over 40 years. I lived in upstate NY for 65 years, when I wasn't working or playing in the Great White North.
 
VLJ_imp said:
Ah, my mistake.

Don't we have someone here who lives up in one of Canada's remote Atlantic providences?
Rocky I think

From today's ride..one of the infamous last decades Buick lol. Fortunately as you can see it was going the other way and I didn't have to follow it up a 55 mph road at 35 for miles

9a64738350c5f43deeb44af857a6faad.jpg
 
In SoCal we have a lot of canyons with twisty roads, where the local sport bikes come out, but very early. After about 10:am they're gone. Some years ago I came across an article in, I think it was Cycle World, or some magazine, that talked about riding The Pace. This riding style advocates riding twisties in a single gear, (I like third) and never using the brakes, only engine-braking for the turns. You can ride for miles that way. Speed up in the straights, back off when approaching turns, take the turn with a constant throttle, accelerate out, and so on. It's blissful. I am of the opinion that speed limits are set artificially low as revenue generators and you can add at least 10 mph to any posted limit and still be safe.
 
mickey, you're on a motorcycle. Pick a clear spot and vaporize the old Buick.

By allowing yourself to remain stuck behind a car for miles, you offend the moto gods. Never offend the moto gods.

3c8188afb1379330abd1179317b6f2e2.jpg


mickey: l VLJ: r
 
Back
Top