Up Hill Battle & Wheelies

holy666diver_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I've been doing some mountain / twistie riding on my CB and there are a few stretches of road that are really steep. I noticed the bike has no power going up hill unless I am in 1st or 2nd gear. I was in 3rd and I lost so much power I had to down shift to keep from stalling. Has anyone else had this issue? My buddy rides a dual sport and he zipped up the hill in 3rd no problem. I had to keep down shifting ended up in 2nd the whole hill. This is super steep too.

I also figured out in first if I give it gas (4k rpm), back off then give it more gas right away the front end comes right up!!! With this much torque to pop a wheelies how is going up steep hills so difficult on the engine?
 
The torques there so the engines performing OK. If you can pop a wheelie so easily I don't think the bike "has an issue". Keep the revs up in second and it must be one steep hill if the revs drop off. Are you up around the 5000RPM mark when it starts to die off and stall? If you are tackling a steep gradient from less than 3500 then it is a technique you will have to change. Anticipate and get the revs up early. This engine, despite not having the neddies, should be able to pull pooh off a blanket if you keep the revs up. It is a different bike to your buddies so don't expect the same characteristics.

Cheers
 
That's strange. Around home there are no steep hills but at the rally in NC last year we rode a few very steep grades and most could be pulled easily in 5th, top gear in my 2013. How steep is the grade?
 
You are right 'Birds. In third, if you are up at the 5000 mark the CB has plenty of pull. And it is going quite quickly in that configuration. Too quickly for a hairpin bend on a steep hill so if you back off without changing down before the corner entry the RPM will die off. That's what happens. I suspect this is what might be termed "pilot error".

Cheers
 
Thread starter
It's a short crazy steep road... Like I said I kept it in 2nd I was pushing 5k did fine. I was just surprised 3rd and 4th wasn't performing well. I know my friends bike is geared way different just surprised how easily he got up it. I'll try again after work see how it goes. I don't ride steep hills often.
 
Being a dual sport, your friend's bike is no doubt, lighter than the CB and geared lower also. My guess is he is starting off at a higher rpm in any gear.
 
holy666diver_imp said:
It's a short crazy steep road... Like I said I kept it in 2nd I was pushing 5k did fine. I was just surprised 3rd and 4th wasn't performing well. I know my friends bike is geared way different just surprised how easily he got up it. I'll try again after work see how it goes. I don't ride steep hills often.
Your gear and speed probably sound about right to me. I ride the steep switchback road up to a ski hill here in the summer and I'm usually between 3rd and 2nd keeping it right around 5k. I find this engine has lots of guts low down, but if you get too low in the rev range in too tall a gear, it will never really pull itself out unless you feed it one or two downshifts -- this is a characteristic if lots of bikes, especially in-line 4s. What was your actual speed? I'm guessing by 5k in second ~ 40-45mph?

If your friend rides and ADV, I'm guessing it's a twin (well unless it's a Triumph, I think it basically must be) and probably geared lower than the CB. This will make a big difference in low end grunt.
 
Must be one hell of a hill. I struggle to think of a hill the CB doesn't tackle with ease, although on hills with tight corners, I'd be in lower gears.
 
At what elevation are you riding? I know that the new fuel-injected bikes are supposed to compensate for elevation changes, but I see a noticeable change in performance when I take my CB11 up in the mountains here in S. Ca. I normally ride in elevations up to 5,000 feet and can definitely feel the performance drop off. My VFR800 has a much-less noticeable difference in performance riding the exact same roads.
 
Dave_imp said:
At what elevation are you riding? I know that the new fuel-injected bikes are supposed to compensate for elevation changes, but I see a noticeable change in performance when I take my CB11 up in the mountains here in S. Ca. I normally ride in elevations up to 5,000 feet and can definitely feel the performance drop off. My VFR800 has a much-less noticeable difference in performance riding the exact same roads.
I've never had my CB below 5,000 feet! It's been as high as 12,095 feet. There are no performance issues at altitude that I can discern.
 
I regularly ride a stretch of road near my house that starts at 4,400 feet and caps out at about 8,300. Mind you, I'm 6 foot even and 240 +/-pounds and the CB pulls me and its own bulk up that grade like a freight train on nitrous. That's not hyperbole. There's plenty of torque just about everywhere. I can't help but think if your bike is running right that it's a gear selection thing. Run it close, or to, the red line. It can take it.
 
Thread starter
Yeah it's a short crazy steep hill. There is a huge sign that says "warning dangerously steep grade, trucks use lower gears"

Rode it again today in 2nd the whole way between 3-5k rpms. Glided right up no issues! Actually had some crazy power keeping the gears low. I was going about 45mph. I think last time I was just in the wrong gear to start.
 
Frulk_imp said:
I regularly ride a stretch of road near my house that starts at 4,400 feet and caps out at about 8,300. Mind you, I'm 6 foot even and 240 +/-pounds and the CB pulls me and its own bulk up that grade like a freight train on nitrous. That's not hyperbole. There's plenty of torque just about everywhere. I can't help but think if your bike is running right that it's a gear selection thing. Run it close, or to, the red line. It can take it.
Wow! What's it like up there without an aeroplane wrapped around you?

Cheers
 
I've never had my CB below 5,000 feet! It's been as high as 12,095 feet. There are no performance issues at altitude that I can discern.

If you've never had your CB below 5,000 feet how would you know?
 
Pterodactyl, you should ask LongRanger that. He lives at 5000ft plus and has CBed at 12,075 ft.

LongRanger_imp said:
Dave_imp said:
At what elevation are you riding? I know that the new fuel-injected bikes are supposed to compensate for elevation changes, but I see a noticeable change in performance when I take my CB11 up in the mountains here in S. Ca. I normally ride in elevations up to 5,000 feet and can definitely feel the performance drop off. My VFR800 has a much-less noticeable difference in performance riding the exact same roads.
I've never had my CB below 5,000 feet! It's been as high as 12,095 feet. There are no performance issues at altitude that I can discern.
 
I recall a couple of Aussies at over 6000 feet, unfortunately you weren't on your CB's.

 
I live in Florida. Cannot relate to your problem. Sorry. :s

Florida's topo map: ______________________________________________________

:cool:
 
Can't compare what gear one bike is in to the other, the power-band is between 5-8K on the tach( really 4.5-7.5 corrected) and where you should be on uphill grades if your pushing the bike through corners. I can see where this would cause a problem if you don't downshift before entry of an uphill riser. Second gear is 85 mph on stock gearing, unless your going above that no reason to hit third.
 
Think about it: when you're in a car, doesn't it automatically downshift - often several gears - when you hit a steep hill? Or if you drive a stick, don't you have to downshift to keep going? No different on a motorcycle! ;)
 
Back
Top