UP For A Road Trip?

Thread starter
Monday, August 10, 2020

Sunday night's storm dampened not only our clothing but our ability to explore Houghton, MI. While Monday did bring our first early start to our day, we used the extra time to take a pre-breakfast and, as it turned out post-breakfast, walk through the former copper mining town. It was immediately apparent why Houghton has been included on several "Best Small Towns In America" lists. Brick-paved streets separate charming 150 year-old storefronts. Sea planes can be seen skipping over the Keewenaw Waterway transporting tourists to or from Isle Royale National Park. There is a magnificent lift-bridge that connects Houghton to Hancock, MI that we would traverse later in the morning on our way to Copper Harbor. Except for the 200+ inches of snow they get in an average winter, Houghton is my kind of town. Attentive observers might see some irony in that.

144ce0418491cf6d43584b32053c30f7.jpg


1c0da29f4c82758d4222b6157f3e993b.jpg


534c6f6e9db6fbaf48114cc1852f80b9.jpg


1487ecf73fc78f8a6cb9f192feef1b6c.jpg



Houghton is the birthplace of professional ice hockey in the United States and the home of Michigan Technological University which was founded in 1885 to train mining engineers to work in the local copper mines. The crosswalks in the area of the university are decorated to represent the different degree programs and/or activities available at MTU.

6db36d35f880942a36648464f4303aff.jpg

Above: Hard to tell, but the crosswalks adjacent to the keyboard one are forks and spoons, I assume representing MTU's culinary arts program.

1078f345fa6eef4c7a112175b862a762.jpg

Above: It's not Abbey Road and they're not George and Ringo, but they are walking on somewhat hallowed ground if you are a professional hockey fan.
a3ea2e33b5efe1bc3ab6f5f503714dac.jpg



We found a breakfast place, Suomi Restaurant. The name is the Finnish word for Finland. It struck me as an appropriate place for us to dine given that I felt like visiting the Upper Peninsula was like visiting another country. The breakfast was good and I know that it will disappoint fans of the "Live to Ride....Ride to Eat" thread elsewhere in this forum, but I did not take any food pictures. I love my riding companions and they love me and since I want to keep things that way, I have to pick and choose when I annoy them by rearranging cutlery and condiments in order to capture a decent photo of my meal.

8c9fa3d2fbfbb84afcc28d81071a6930.jpg

Our beautiful riding partners waiting for one of the few tables in the restaurant.


After breakfast, we took a leisurely stroll up Shelden Ave. back to our hotel and the bikes.

8e0a63db58cf0a1d71fcb1e8914bd652.jpg


72724f40e2fec5896409621af8efe709.jpg


feb8f45e84777f5917da30e79ccbf8b4.jpg



8/10/2021 Route Map



If a map of the Upper Peninsula resembles a west-facing fish, then the Keewenaw Peninsula would be its dorsal fin and the fin would be tipped in reddish brown from the residual dust of copper ore mined from it century and a half ago. There's a small notch in the fin's tip called Copper Harbor and at the bottom of that notch sits a town with the same name.

Copper Harbor was a mining town in the mid to late 1800s. A mining company set up operations here in 1844 and was one of the first mining operations in the entire state of Michigan. The mines were very successful for about 30 years and the proximity of the mines to the harbor helped the company maximize profits. The mines, though, were essentially tapped out by about 1870. Over the ensuing 150 years, the town of Copper Harbor transformed itself into a resort area, reminiscent to me of some seaside resorts in the United Kingdom, although I need to rely on photos of those distant places for my comparison.

Only two roads can take you directly from Houghton to Copper Harbor; US41 and M26 and even then 26 overlays 41 for a good portion of the trip. M26 is slightly longer at about 55 miles with the US41 route being about 46 miles. US41 and M26 shake hands briefly in Houghton, then cross the Portage Canal Lift Bridge together before parting ways with M26 heading east and 41 heading north. They meet up again in Tamarack, travel together up north a bit to Phoenix and then M26 travels the rest of the way along the shores of Lake Superior while 41 wanders up through forestland. The two meet again and for the last time in Copper Harbor where they and their 55 mile friendship come to an abrupt end.

Mike's route for the day was to start out on 41 until Phoenix and then take in the water views of M26 into Copper Harbor. Our return trip was down US41. I was frustrated by this decision because I'm generally more of a County over US highway guy. It would have been a huge mistake, though, if we retraced M26 and missed the amazingly beautiful, slightly curvy, and hilly ride through the woods that US41 gives you for the first 25 miles of its 2,008 mile journey from Cooper Harbor, Michigan to Miami, Florida. It doesn't look like much on the map, but it's a great ride.

Above: Not quite true, but not entirely false, either.


Above: M26 gets impressively close to the water's edge on it's way to Copper Harbor


Above: Parked in Copper Harbor. This is a really neat little place, but much of it was closed due to lack of workers during the Time of the Covid.


The beginning of US Route 41.

Mike's return route included a soft right turn off of 41 onto Cliff Road. 41 sort of curves off to the east before curving back to its lay line. Cliff Road basically follow that lay line. It seemed like a good short cut and the name, "Cliff Road" seemed to promise scenic vistas. Nope. Turns out that Cliff Road is named for the Cliff Mine that was established in the 1840s and, while the mine itself was high on a hill (maybe even a cliff), the road runs along the base of that hill. Clifton was the name of the mining town that sat between Cliff Road and US41, but it died with it's namesake mine a long time ago and and there seems nary a sign of the town remains. Not that we were looking. I didn't know anything about Cliffton or the Cliff Mine until researching for this report. All I knew at the time was that this detour was a mistake. If I had to guess, I would estimate the last full resurface was done about the time that The Ferret was graduating high school and that the last patching was done about the time misterprofessionality was learning to ride his first motorcycle. Way worse than gravel, this pothole and patch laden stretch of "pavement" had me worrying about flat tires and broken forks. If I had read about the mine and the abandoned town beforehand, it may have been worth the journey, but to me this was a road to endure rather than embrace.


Following Glen on Cliff Road. The "cliff is to the left". No idea where the "road" is located.

We endured Cliff Rd and hopped back onto 41 back to Houghton. We dined at a restaurant named The Library; a lovely looking restaurant with nice waterfront views. The service was polite. The food? Just average, but I will remind folks that this was in the dead middle of the pandemic so if you're in Houghton, give this place a try.


L to R - Me, Mike, Jennifer, Laura, Glen, Cheryl.


Above: The Portage Canal Lift Bridge
(partially lifted from Wikipedia) The original 1959 design by Hazelet and Erdal of Chicago of the bridge's lift-span had roadways constructed on both levels with rails embedded in the road surface on the lower deck. This allowed the span to be partially raised to allow small and medium boat traffic to pass underneath without disrupting vehicular traffic. From this middle position, the span would then only need to be raised for large ships or lowered to allow trains to cross. With the end of rail service in 1982, the lowest position is no longer needed to allow trains to pass so the bridge is not lowered below the middle position during the summer boating season except for periods of maintenance or repair. In the winter after the lake freezes, the bridge is placed in the lowest position to allow the lower deck to be used by snowmobile traffic...a pretty cool "repurposing" if you ask me. Photo taken while I was on evening stroll, enjoying a small cigar and the cool Michigan evening.

A day that epitomizes all that is great about motorcycle touring.
 
Thread starter
Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Houghton to Munising and an Irresistible Impulse.

Houghton to Munising Map



Our trip to this point had been substantially a northward trek; well except for Mike and Jennifer who came up over the top of Lake Michigan and south to meet us. Our departure from Houghton would begin our eastward journey from the base of U.P.'s dorsal in Houghton fin to the tip of its tail fin in Paradise. Our last base-camp for the week would be in Munising. We would stage from there on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. The homeward turn would be on Friday, our last day together as a group.

On July 31, 1952, Lt​. Coleman A. Peterson, who was stationed in Big Bay, MI for the summer, shot and killed Maurice Chenoweth, a local bar owner. John D Voelker, a local attorney, represented the defense in the matter of People v. Coleman Peterson and used a rare version of the insanity defense called "irresistible impulse". Mr. Voelker later wrote "Anatomy of a Murder", a fictionalized account of the case which was made into the movie of the same name in 1959. The movie is considered one of the best trial movies in the history of cinema. It starred James Stewart and Lee Remick and was filmed entirely on location in Upper Michigan, a first for a full-length movie.

They filmed all over the Upper Peninsula including some scenes in Big Bay, though not in the actual bar where the real shooting took place. Many of the street scenes were filmed in Michigamme, MI and Mike, knowing I'm a big fan of this movie, arranged our ride to include a stop in the unincorporated little burg. Michigamme is a one stoplight town, without the stoplight. It seems to exist to serve visitors to Lake Michigamme and not much else. It being the time in the pandemic where we were still concerned about outdoor transmission, there were not a lot of visitors to the lake and almost every business on Main Street was closed, although I'm sure that many had been closed long before the pandemic descended upon us.









The only sign of life in the town was the partially renovation of the one of the old buildings. No workers, mind you, but the freshly installed lumber indicted that human lifeforms were in the area. We parked across from a building that said "Museum" across the front of it. I recall there was a sign informing potential museum visitors to knock on the front door of the neighboring home. I do remember that Glen and Laura walked over and before too long a thin older man walked over and introduced himself (by a name that I've since forgotten) as the curator of the Michigamme Historical Museum.


Mike and Jennifer, the museum and Jennifer's Indian

We had a delightful time at the museum. There was a lot of war memorabilia that drew the attention of Glen and Jennifer in particular. Myself, I was fascinated by the old outboard motor collection and the large display of photos and keepsakes from "Anatomy of a Murder" Our curator knew a lot about the movie and pointed to the buildings on Main Street that appeared in it.




I seem to recall that the curator raced outboard hydroplanes back when he was young.

We spent the better part of an hour with our host at the museum. He seemed to have a intimate knowledge of every artifact in the place and there were lots of artifacts-- literal lots of them. We took a very quick (you'd have to crawl to make it slow) pass through town to get a view of the lake and across it to the Mt. Shasta Inn. In the movie, James Stewart finds Lee Remick at the Inn, dancing and flirting with some servicemen, presumably her incarcerated husband's friends, and gives her a stern warning about how such behavior could impact her husband's case.


Now


With the stunning Lee Remick in front of it


Time to ride. It was already past our lunch time and it would take about 45 minutes to get to Marquette and a place to eat. Anyone who has read anything about this crew knows that Mike was toeing a fine line between hungry and angry -- "Hangry" -- and no sane person knowingly crosses that line. We stopped in Marquette for gas and food. I don't recall much about the town. It seemed much larger and less interesting than any of the towns we've been in on this trip. We passed through it on the 4-lane with a center turn lane US41 which undoubtedly contributed to my impression of non-impressiveness. I honestly don't know where we stopped to eat or IF we stopped to eat. I recall us stopping at a visitor center to get our bearings and that it and the other places we stopped in Marquette were all on the left side of the road which translated into several left turns across multiple lanes with multiple bikes. No harm, in the end, but it was more dicey than it needed to be.

The trip from Houghton to Marquette was on a fairly tame section of US41/M28 that drops fairly far south of Lake Superior, but reconnects to it at Marquette. The ride was fine, but nothing more than fine. The stop in Michigamme was easily the highlight of the trip.

We made that last left turn out of the gas station (or was that the lunch place? Did we even stop for lunch??) and onto Munising via M28 which splits from 41 just east of Marquette. Prettier than the first legs atop US41, M28 ribbons along through a few more small towns with glimpses of the big lake and a couple of small ones before getting to Munising. Munising is not as big as Marguette, but seemed to be a prettier harbor town, despite the incredible amount of road construction in their downtown. We'd come back to Munising a couple of times later in the trip, but it was just another town to pass through at this point in the ride.

We arrived at the Econo-Lodge Inn & Suites Musining around 3:30 in the afternoon. Not a bad place, but not worth the room rate which is artificially high with Munising being very much a tourist destination during the summer months. Covid kept the number of guests to a minimum so we had the picnic tables out front to ourselves. This day is a little blurry in my mind as you may have already ascertained, but I recall having snacks on the picnic tables shortly after arriving -- maybe that was lunch.


Checking at the Econo-Lodge


Cheryl looking annoyed....probably at my photo taking


Bikes checking out their accomodations

Hung out for a while. Weather was a little warm, but pleasant. Mike lead us on a trek for dinner that took us to the place that had the best reviews of anyplace nearby. It was closed because the owner couldn't find anyone to work since they all went on unemployment due to the pandemic. At least that was the gist of the rather terse note on the front door. Mike found another place, The Buckhorn, which took us about 1/2 to get to because his nav system plotted out just an insanely long route there and back to the motel. The food was very good and the place is really in the middle of nowhere. I think it caters to ATVers in the summer and snowmobiles in the winter. More on this in the next installment -- Turns out that if you did a normal route to Buckhorn only takes a few minutes from the Econo-Lodge so we went back the next day.


View from inside Buckhorn



Never quite figured out the "giant furniture" phenomenon, but the girls look adorable, masked or otherwise.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Houghton to Munising and an Irresistible Impulse.

Houghton to Munising Map



Our trip to this point had been substantially a northward trek; well except for Mike and Jennifer who came up over the top of Lake Michigan and south to meet us. Our departure from Houghton would begin our eastward journey from the base of U.P.'s dorsal in Houghton fin to the tip of its tail fin in Paradise. Our last base-camp for the week would be in Munising. We would stage from there on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. The homeward turn would be on Friday, our last day together as a group.

On July 31, 1952, Lt​. Coleman A. Peterson, who was stationed in Big Bay, MI for the summer, shot and killed Maurice Chenoweth, a local bar owner. John D Voelker, a local attorney, represented the defense in the matter of People v. Coleman Peterson and used a rare version of the insanity defense called "irresistible impulse". Mr. Voelker later wrote "Anatomy of a Murder", a fictionalized account of the case which was made into the movie of the same name in 1959. The movie is considered one of the best trial movies in the history of cinema. It starred James Stewart and Lee Remick and was filmed entirely on location in Upper Michigan, a first for a full-length movie.

They filmed all over the Upper Peninsula including some scenes in Big Bay, though not in the actual bar where the real shooting took place. Many of the street scenes were filmed in Michigamme, MI and Mike, knowing I'm a big fan of this movie, arranged our ride to include a stop in the unincorporated little burg. Michigamme is a one stoplight town, without the stoplight. It seems to exist to serve visitors to Lake Michigamme and not much else. It being the time in the pandemic where we were still concerned about outdoor transmission, there were not a lot of visitors to the lake and almost every business on Main Street was closed, although I'm sure that many had been closed long before the pandemic descended upon us.









The only sign of life in the town was the partially renovation of the one of the old buildings. No workers, mind you, but the freshly installed lumber indicted that human lifeforms were in the area. We parked across from a building that said "Museum" across the front of it. I recall there was a sign informing potential museum visitors to knock on the front door of the neighboring home. I do remember that Glen and Laura walked over and before too long a thin older man walked over and introduced himself (by a name that I've since forgotten) as the curator of the Michigamme Historical Museum.


Mike and Jennifer, the museum and Jennifer's Indian

We had a delightful time at the museum. There was a lot of war memorabilia that drew the attention of Glen and Jennifer in particular. Myself, I was fascinated by the old outboard motor collection and the large display of photos and keepsakes from "Anatomy of a Murder" Our curator knew a lot about the movie and pointed to the buildings on Main Street that appeared in it.




I seem to recall that the curator raced outboard hydroplanes back when he was young.

We spent the better part of an hour with our host at the museum. He seemed to have a intimate knowledge of every artifact in the place and there were lots of artifacts-- literal lots of them. We took a very quick (you'd have to crawl to make it slow) pass through town to get a view of the lake and across it to the Mt. Shasta Inn. In the movie, James Stewart finds Lee Remick at the Inn, dancing and flirting with some servicemen, presumably her incarcerated husband's friends, and gives her a stern warning about how such behavior could impact her husband's case.


Now


With the stunning Lee Remick in front of it


Time to ride. It was already past our lunch time and it would take about 45 minutes to get to Marquette and a place to eat. Anyone who has read anything about this crew knows that Mike was toeing a fine line between hungry and angry -- "Hangry" -- and no sane person knowingly crosses that line. We stopped in Marquette for gas and food. I don't recall much about the town. It seemed much larger and less interesting than any of the towns we've been in on this trip. We passed through it on the 4-lane with a center turn lane US41 which undoubtedly contributed to my impression of non-impressiveness. I honestly don't know where we stopped to eat or IF we stopped to eat. I recall us stopping at a visitor center to get our bearings and that it and the other places we stopped in Marquette were all on the left side of the road which translated into several left turns across multiple lanes with multiple bikes. No harm, in the end, but it was more dicey than it needed to be.

The trip from Houghton to Marquette was on a fairly tame section of US41/M28 that drops fairly far south of Lake Superior, but reconnects to it at Marquette. The ride was fine, but nothing more than fine. The stop in Michigamme was easily the highlight of the trip.

We made that last left turn out of the gas station (or was that the lunch place? Did we even stop for lunch??) and onto Munising via M28 which splits from 41 just east of Marquette. Prettier than the first legs atop US41, M28 ribbons along through a few more small towns with glimpses of the big lake and a couple of small ones before getting to Munising. Munising is not as big as Marguette, but seemed to be a prettier harbor town, despite the incredible amount of road construction in their downtown. We'd come back to Munising a couple of times later in the trip, but it was just another town to pass through at this point in the ride.

We arrived at the Econo-Lodge Inn & Suites Musining around 3:30 in the afternoon. Not a bad place, but not worth the room rate which is artificially high with Munising being very much a tourist destination during the summer months. Covid kept the number of guests to a minimum so we had the picnic tables out front to ourselves. This day is a little blurry in my mind as you may have already ascertained, but I recall having snacks on the picnic tables shortly after arriving -- maybe that was lunch.


Checking at the Econo-Lodge


Cheryl looking annoyed....probably at my photo taking


Bikes checking out their accomodations

Hung out for a while. Weather was a little warm, but pleasant. Mike lead us on a trek for dinner that took us to the place that had the best reviews of anyplace nearby. It was closed because the owner couldn't find anyone to work since they all went on unemployment due to the pandemic. At least that was the gist of the rather terse note on the front door. Mike found another place, The Buckhorn, which took us about 1/2 to get to because his nav system plotted out just an insanely long route there and back to the motel. The food was very good and the place is really in the middle of nowhere. I think it caters to ATVers in the summer and snowmobiles in the winter. More on this in the next installment -- Turns out that if you did a normal route to Buckhorn only takes a few minutes from the Econo-Lodge so we went back the next day.


View from inside Buckhorn



Never quite figured out the "giant furniture" phenomenon, but the girls look adorable, masked or otherwise.

That was a fun read MTC.

I imagine you told her that you weren't posting the photo publicly online.

( ... like I wrote: I imagined it.)
 
Fantastic, Sea. I love Jimmy Stewart movies! Rear Window is my favorite, but I don't think I've seen Anatomy of a Murder! How cool that you stumbled on that bit of local lore and legend.

Loved all your photos. I just told Sharon, "Next summer, let's go to Michigan." :thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
Thanks, Stich. I just wish I was better at proofreading - too many typos/grammatical errors.

I’m pretty sure that Harvey or The Shop Around The Corner are my favorite James Stewart movies, but I do love Rear Window (Grace Kelly-yum). Also love —- gee was about to list just a couple, but instantly came up with 10 so I’ll just leave it at my strong recommendation that you watch Anatomy Of A Murder. Score and cameo appearance by Duke Ellington, if that helps motivate you.

If you head to Michigan, let me know ahead of time. Cheryl and might be inclined to ride up to meet you.
 
At my age, it's unfair when people remind you f flames like Lee Remick. It just provokes a whole lot of emotions too hard to deal with. But the rest of the report was wonderful as always.

If it really bothers you, PM me corrected text and I'll replace it for you. Might be out of range for a while after today my time.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
At my age, it's unfair when people remind you f flames like Lee Remick. It just provokes a whole lot of emotions too hard to deal with. But the rest of the report was wonderful as always.

If it really bothers you, PM me corrected text and I'll replace it for you. Might be out of range for a while after today my time.
Directors in the '50s were pretty skilled and sneaky about using light and angles to "accentuate" certain features. :cool:
EmptySea_imp said:
Thanks, Stich. I just wish I was better at proofreading - too many typos/grammatical errors.

I’m pretty sure that Harvey or The Shop Around The Corner are my favorite James Stewart movies, but I do love Rear Window (Grace Kelly-yum). Also love —- gee was about to list just a couple, but instantly came up with 10 so I’ll just leave it at my strong recommendation that you watch Anatomy Of A Murder. Score and cameo appearance by Duke Ellington, if that helps motivate you.

If you head to Michigan, let me know ahead of time. Cheryl and might be inclined to ride up to meet you.
Always the way. The 60 minute sudden death timer is...unkind.

EmptySea_imp said:
Thanks, Stich. I just wish I was better at proofreading - too many typos/grammatical errors.

I’m pretty sure that Harvey or The Shop Around The Corner are my favorite James Stewart movies, but I do love Rear Window (Grace Kelly-yum). Also love —- gee was about to list just a couple, but instantly came up with 10 so I’ll just leave it at my strong recommendation that you watch Anatomy Of A Murder. Score and cameo appearance by Duke Ellington, if that helps motivate you.

If you head to Michigan, let me know ahead of time. Cheryl and might be inclined to ride up to meet you.
Great. In many ways its retelling You've Got Mail might be even better!

EmptySea_imp said:
Thanks, Stich. I just wish I was better at proofreading - too many typos/grammatical errors.

I’m pretty sure that Harvey or The Shop Around The Corner are my favorite James Stewart movies, but I do love Rear Window (Grace Kelly-yum). Also love —- gee was about to list just a couple, but instantly came up with 10 so I’ll just leave it at my strong recommendation that you watch Anatomy Of A Murder. Score and cameo appearance by Duke Ellington, if that helps motivate you.

If you head to Michigan, let me know ahead of time. Cheryl and might be inclined to ride up to meet you.
Yum!

EmptySea_imp said:
Thanks, Stich. I just wish I was better at proofreading - too many typos/grammatical errors.

I’m pretty sure that Harvey or The Shop Around The Corner are my favorite James Stewart movies, but I do love Rear Window (Grace Kelly-yum). Also love —- gee was about to list just a couple, but instantly came up with 10 so I’ll just leave it at my strong recommendation that you watch Anatomy Of A Murder. Score and cameo appearance by Duke Ellington, if that helps motivate you.

If you head to Michigan, let me know ahead of time. Cheryl and might be inclined to ride up to meet you.
:thumbsup:

EmptySea_imp said:
Thanks, Stich. I just wish I was better at proofreading - too many typos/grammatical errors.

I’m pretty sure that Harvey or The Shop Around The Corner are my favorite James Stewart movies, but I do love Rear Window (Grace Kelly-yum). Also love —- gee was about to list just a couple, but instantly came up with 10 so I’ll just leave it at my strong recommendation that you watch Anatomy Of A Murder. Score and cameo appearance by Duke Ellington, if that helps motivate you.

If you head to Michigan, let me know ahead of time. Cheryl and might be inclined to ride up to meet you.
:thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
At my age, it's unfair when people remind you f flames like Lee Remick. It just provokes a whole lot of emotions too hard to deal with. But the rest of the report was wonderful as always.

If it really bothers you, PM me corrected text and I'll replace it for you. Might be out of range for a while after today my time.
Lee Remick’s character in this movie is every woman your mother warned you about. Between her and Grace Kelly? Yes. ;)

I will PM you the corrected text. If you can fix, great, but it’s not a huge deal.
 
I’ll do it, but it may take a day or two depending on internet access.
 
Thread starter
August 12, 2021

From Munising to Grand Marais and Back, and Back, and Back.

238244c80c1b30d80897cfe73108cb1f.jpg


August 12 Interactive Map

"Do you have Butter Pecan?", Glen asked the young lady on the other side of the glass-covered freezer chest

"No one has Butter Pecan anymore.", Laura interjected. "Only old guys like it. No demand for it these days."

At least that's how I imagine the original conversation about the demographics of butter-pecan ice cream demand went down. I wasn't there and only heard of it a few days earlier in the week when we went for ice cream after dinner in Appleton. Apparently, butter-pecan and other more traditional flavors like New York and/or Black Cherry are out of favor at the hip, trendy ice cream parlors that have popped up over the last several years. Being a fan of butter-pecan, I was taken aback by the news of this and naturally called into question the accuracy of both the popularity of the flavor and the implied if not expressed characterization of me and my friend Glen as "old".
------------------------------

The City of Munising is the county seat of Alger County, but it's mostly known as the access point to Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. From here, you can kayak, ferry, take your own powerboat, or book a tour boat to view the multi-colored sandstone cliffs that loom over Lake Superior from the mainland and from Grand Island which is located just 5 miles offshore. Our morning was supposed to be spent aboard kayaks getting our exercise and enjoying a seabird's eye view of the cliffs. The pandemic reduced the number of outfitters and other tours and reservations, which we never made, were required. Mike did some research on this upon our arrival at the Econo-Lodge and found that the next opening for 6 people, regardless of vessel, was Saturday and we'd be 200 miles away and on our journey home by then. Cheryl and I were disappointed in the news as we were the only ones in our group not to have been out to Pictured Rocks [side note: a large portion of the rock cliff plummeted into Lake Superior just last weekend (June 19, 2021) [url=https://www.uppermichiganssource.com/2021/06/28/watch-200-foot-pictured-rocks-cliff-face-plummets-into-lake-superior/]Pictured Rocks .]

There was an opportunity for a morning paddle on one of the many small rivers and everyone save Glen and I were excited about that opportunity. Glen and I decided that we would ride into Munising for breakfast and then take a morning ride to Grand Marais. The county highway that leads to the tiny town was reported to be a fun road and fun roads are made extra fun when riding in pairs instead of groups. So, four of us headed to the kayaks and two of us to a coffee shop.

Glen and I gassed up in Musining and then parked on a side street to walk the two main drags, Musining and Superior Streets, in search of an egg or two. In towns of this size, there's usually only one or two breakfast spots, but the ones that we walked past here were closed due to pandemic restrictions. Fortunately, [url=https://fallingrockcafe.com/]Falling Rock Cafe & Bookstore was open for business, but being the only game in town, the socially distanced line was out the door and down the street a bit. They had a limited breakfast menu and a very limited number of toaster ovens in which to prepare said items. It was going to be a wait.

I should mention at this point that, because of the outdoor recreation in the area, it's a mecca for the young and vibrant and Falling Rock Cafe seemed to be a gathering place within the town for the 18-30 year old set. Glen and I were among the older of the patrons at the time of our visit. I should also mention that, in addition to coffee and breakfast sandwiches, they sell ice cream.



Transitive Property of Equality: If A=B and B=C, then A=C.
Possible conclusions: Either Glen and I are young and vibrant OR butter pecan and black cherry are not the ice creams of the old and feeble. I'm going with the former.

The breakfast sandwiches were quite good and we ate them on a bistro table in the shade of a small tavern that wouldn't be open for several more hours, assuming that their workers show up. Our table sat on a street that dead-ended at a marina. From our vantage point we could watch folks provisioning their vessels for their morning cruises. After we ate, Glen and I walked down to the docks to admire the wide range of watercraft there.

Munising Ave., one of the two main drags in town is really the only eastbound way out of town. The construction project, roundabout installation I think, moved us on and off the main drag a few times, but eventually we exited the town, headed up a fairly steep grade where Munising Ave. changed names to Adams Trail Road also called Algers County Highway H-58. Take note: H-58 is one of the most delightful stretches of road I've had the joy or riding over. It's 50 miles of beauty with plenty of curves, relatively light traffic and scenic pull-offs with a charming fur trading post turned fishing village turned resort town at its end. Well, not technically its end -- H-58 continues east another 15-20 miles, but it was to be our destination this morning.

I don't know the posted speed limit on H-58, but I know I exceeded it. Our Cardo Pack Talks allow Cheryl to calmly remind me of the speed limits when I push beyond them. It wasn't my fault she decided to spend her morning on a pointy boat in small river someplace, was it? I mean, was it?? ;)



I didn't have to slow much to get Glen back in my rear view. He's a very good rider.

We made it to Grand Marais in about an hour. Don't do the math or, if you do, don't share the result with Cheryl. We parked next to the public beach and before I could get my helmet off, Glen was walking away toward the stores and shops we had passed on the way to the beach. I assumed that he was looking for a 'comfort station'. He was gone long enough for me to capture some photos of the area and of my bike in the area. The waterfront was simply amazing.





Glen finally returned with a small package of smoked whitefish wrapped in butcher paper and two plastic forks. We had the motorcycling in Michigan version of 'shore lunch' right there on a picnic bench in Grand Marais.



Shore Lunch

I took it a little easier on the way back to the Econo-Lodge. It probably took us an hour ten or so to get back. Glen thought it would be a good time for a cigar while we waited for the mad paddlers to return to base. The plan was for all 6 of us to ride to Grand Marais for the afternoon and then ride back to the Buckhorn for dinner. Jennifer, who is our least experienced rider, was tired from the kayaking and didn't feel up to a 100 mile afternoon ride. We mounted up and headed out (to paraphrase the 'Rawhide" theme).

We let Mike take the lead and I was behind him followed by the two girls and then Glen at sweep. Mike does a pretty darn good job slinging that 'Wing around the curves and it's fun to watch him do so.





He guided us into Grand Marais and parked a few hundred feet from where I had parked that morning or, as they say in Grand Marais, "at the other end of town". We spent a good couple of hours walking around the town. Cheryl, with me in tow, looked for a souvenir ring. She usually gets an inexpensive ring to commemorate each big bike trip. She had the pattern of one of her favorite commemorative ring made into a tattoo which is on the inside of her........right wrist. I don't recall if she found a ring in Grand Marais. Amazingly, one store has an H-58 sticker which is now proudly displayed on my side cover. :)


If there was an award for Most Aspirationally Named Hotel, the Superior Hotel would win the prize.


I believe this one is called "Pickle Barrel House" and it was once a vacation cottage for the founder of the Chicago Tribune. It was designed and built by an cooperage company in Chicago.

Cheryl at one of the observation decks


All (most) of us on the observation deck. Lake Superior some 300 feet below us.


I kinda like this woman


Artsy photo of Lake Superior.


Artsy late afternoon pic of Mike leading us home.

We picked up Jennifer at the Econo-Lodge and headed to the Buckhorn for another dinner. I think I had a burger. It's typical pub food at the Buckhorn, but they have good local craft beer and the food is fresh and served promptly


Was a little nervous when Cheryl ordered this beer.


The view from our dining hideaway

I covered about 250 miles on mostly curvy roads at mostly higher-than-posted speeds. Returned to the Econo-Lodge, poured myself a cocktail from my growler, lit up a small cigar, and kicked back and reflected upon the beautiful day I spent with my beautiful wife and beautiful friends. Not too bad for a man of a butter-pecan age.
 
:D. All I can do is smile. Pleasurable reading causes that.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
The alarm on my phone went off at 6:00am. Cheryl rolled over, kissed me and said "Happy Birthday, Honey. Now, get showered so we can hit the road." She has a new and wonderful enthusiasm for riding since recovering from her 2016 crash and maybe even more so since trading in her Honda CTX for her Triumph Speedmaster. Her excitement, along with her long-standing insistence on punctuality, would probably have been enough to get me moving, but as added inducement, she pulled the top sheet and comforter from the bed and moving, I got. Don't read this as me not wanting to get started on our ride, but with little or no city traffic with which to contend and with not much to do at our day's destination, my only obligation was to get her to breakfast before she got hangry (9:30 latest) and to get to our Hotel in Appleton, WI before dinner.

It was Friday, August 7th, in The Year of Our Coronavirus, 2020.
Day #1 of our annual motorcycle week with our friends Glen, Laura, Mike, and Jennifer was to go kickstands up at 8:30am -- for the Illinois contingent. A few years ago, the other two couples (some might call them the smarter two couples) moved out of Illinois; Glen/Laura to Wisconsin and Mike/Jennifer all the way across Lake Michigan to Suttons Bay, MI. Things would be a bit different for this trip, partly because of epidemiology and partly because of geography, but a motorcycle trip that starts on my birthday is about as good a gift as a guy like me could receive. 59, in case you're curious.

Planning our annual trip has become a little more difficult since their moves. The destination choice could easily add an extra day of riding for one or two of the couples. In 2019, M&J were unable to join us on the trip so we based out of G&L's home in Wisconsin and toured the "Driftless Area". It was a 4 hour ride for Cheryl and I, but would have been a solid two days for M&J at a little over 500 miles. We missed M&J on the 2019 trip, but it did make it easier to plan. 2020 was Mike's turn in the trip-planning rotation and, taking into account his love for the area and of course the logistics affecting participation, opted for a tour of Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

72097ad72c082e0df23d1263046e9464.png


For the uninitiated, the Upper Peninsula, or U.P. (of from now on herein "UP"), is that part of Michigan that rests like a fish-shaped hat on top of Wisconsin and that it keeps Lakes Superior, Michigan, and Huron from joining forces and dwarfing the remaining two Great Lakes. Were it not for a cartography error that lead to a border dispute between Michigan and Ohio, the Upper Peninsula would likely have become part of Wisconsin. In its bid for statehood in the early 1800s, the Michigan Territory agreed to leave Toledo (Ohio) and access to Lake Erie to the State of Ohio in exchange for including the UP as part of the new State of Michigan. It was unclear in my research for this report if Michigan officials knew at the time that the Upper Peninsula had the capability to supply 90% of America's iron ore and copper in the coming years, but it is clear that the Wisconsin Territory regretted not laying early claim to the land and that some people in that state still feel that it was stolen from them. There remains to this day a certain attitude of independence or defiance among the "Yoopers" as residents of the UP are often called. I think most of that comes from the remoteness of the area, the climate, and the toughness that evolves through generations of mining, stevedoring, and working of the land, but it is possible that there is a 200 year old chip on the shoulders of some from the backroom dealings that made them Michiganders.

The UP is almost like its own state, some (especially Yoopers) would say almost like its own country. It's unlike any place I've ever been. Until this trip, my only other visit to the UP had been a quick pass through on my way to completing my Iron Butt SS1000 trip around Lake Michigan. I knew then that I'd want to spend more riding time up in the UP.

Given each couple's relative proximity to the UP, it made the most sense for Glen/Laura to meet us in Appleton, WI at the end of Day 1 while Mike/Jennifer worked their way around the top of Lake Michigan from the east. Heading out with just Cheryl felt different, but, everything else was different in 2020, so why not this?

And so, I got myself showered and packed up my bike for our 8:30 departure time. According to the stamp on the photo I took as we left, it was 8:42. Was Cheryl upset that we were 12 minutes late? Of course not, because she knows how slow I am getting geared up and had a KSU time of 8:45 in her head all along. So we were 3 minutes to the good as far as she was concerned.

0b96de266e3fdb9def1b8feadc6431ed.jpg

The two growlers strapped to my bags contain Manhattans for post-ride cocktails on the trip. With so many bars being closed, it seemed unlikely that we would find one within walking distance of our lodgings, much less one that could make me a proper Manhattan.

In August, the Illinois and Wisconsin pandemic mediation plans allowed for indoor dining, but with limited seating and as much ventilation to the outside as reasonably possible. The Red School Cafe was indeed a schoolhouse at one time as is evidenced by photos and artifacts on display as you enter. We were able to snag a small table right next to a window which we opened shortly after the photo below was taken.

9bc90a8b02af241639a91e038ee404df.jpg

Red School Cafe is located an eye blink over the Illinois/Wisconsin border on US45. The tiny little diner has been open on and off for at least 40 years and the breakfasts are delicious.

ed787f06fb7736f32cea28e1154f9eba.jpg

This picture was taken at 9:35am. While not actually eating by 9:30, we were in the restaurant on time which explains Cheryl's half-smile.

e70db51ef1e7f29f040eb88e08136597.jpg

Birthday Breakfast!! (try not to look, RickCB and Ferret)


A note on the maps included in this report: I have taken screenshots from my Spotwalla account showing the route I rode each day. Most times this is the route that we all rode, but there will be some exceptions as the week and the report thereof goes on. The link below each picture should take you to the saved trip in Spotwalla. You should be able to click on the dots and get location, time, and speed data. Please advise the author if you are unable to do so.

4c0b94f0e431104066ca204f5abf6859.png

UP Trip Day 1

Glen and Laura agreed to meet us in Appleton on Friday night. Appleton was roughly on each of our routes to Iron Mountain, MI where we would meet Mike and Jennifer. It was little east of the lay line for Glen, but Cheryl and I have come to love the town after visiting our son while he attended college there, so we knew a great place to stay that happens to have a lovely restaurant attached to it. Glen and Laura happily agreed to the slight detour in order to join us for a birthday dinner.

Our route to Appleton roughly paralleled US45 except near Milwaukee, which we avoided. Much of it was along or through the Kettle Moraine State Forest about which I have reported several times in the past. Since is well-traveled ground for me, I didn't take many pictures. Our ride was uneventful. We've passed this observation tower several times over the years and this was the first time we stopped. Unfortunately, Covid restrictions prevented us from legally climbing it, so we just took a water break and continued on.

Parnell Tower, County Hwy U, Plymouth, WI

Although there are no other pictures, this was a delightful trek, with more than a few curves, through forest and farm country and into the lovely town of Appleton.

Our son Justin graduated from Lawrence University with Bachelor degrees in both Music and Math. This building serves as the main concert hall on campus. We have seen him perform here many times.

Lawrence Chapel, College Avenue, Appleton, WI


Shattuck Hall of Music reflecting Lawrence Chapel

The Copper Leaf Hotel is a wonderful place to stay on a motorcycle trip to this part of Wisconsin. It's right in downtown Appleton, but there is a covered parking garage with motorcycle-designated parking directly behind it. It is attached to Rye, which is an upscale restaurant with a great bar and you don't even have walk outside to get there. If Rye doesn't suit your dining tastes, there are a number of restaurants within very easy walking distance. The only downside is that the Copper Leaf's room rates are a bit higher than we typically like to pay on a trip like this. However, it was my birthday and we figured that it was worth the extra cost for a special occasion.


Arrival at Copper Leaf


Bikes parked. Note Cheryl's cameo and that Glen and Laura have downsized their rides from a K1600 and 1200RT to the 800GS BMWs.



My Old Fashioned at Rye

We had a lovely dinner at Rye with Glen and Laura. Turns out that our server rides an old CBR 900. We told him a little of our plans for the week and he delivered this note with our check. The riding community is, with some exceptions, populated with friendly and generous folk.


Scenic route from Appleton, WI to Iron Mountain, MI

More on the above route on the next installment.

In all, I would be hard-pressed to come up with a better way to spend my birthday. See you in the morning.

-----

Just catching up and seeing this excellent ride report. Having grown up and started my riding life in Waukesha, WI--it was a nice throwback to see a Kettle Moraine reference. May or may not have skipped a few classes in high school to run up the road to some of the nice Kettle Moraine twisties. I love Texas...but I sure miss WI motorcycle riding. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!
 
Thread starter
I didn’t ride when I was young and foolish, so I took the Kettle Moraine twisted in my 1980 Toyota Corolla. It was an SR-5, if that makes it seem like I was in a sports car.
 
Back
Top