U.S. vs European versions of the same helmet

Gone in 60

Road warrior
Thread starter
So, interesting situation. I find Scorpion to be my best fitting helmet brand. They're well made but not too expensive. Since I like variety, I like having four different Scorpion helmets in my fleet that I can rotate through.

A few of them are getting older, and I want to rotate them out of daily use. Tried on a Scorpion HX1 at the local shop and it was really comfortable, but it's only available in black and a textured grey that looks like cement. Problem is, I like bright or white colored helmets for visibility and don't buy dark helmets.

Looking online, the European version of the same helmet is available in white with a red stripe in a "nostalgia" pattern. It's on a website in the Netherlands, ChromeBurner Motorgear | Online Motorcycle gear specialist for a clearance price that's low enough that even with shipping to the U.S., it's cheaper than buying a U.S. version in black.

Rather than a standard D-ring, it has a ratcheting strap, and interesingly, the Euro version of the helmet has a drop-down sun visor while the U.S. version does not.
It's ECE rated, but not being a U.S. market helmet, it's probably not DOT rated. I'm not really concerned about that, as I'm sure if it's safe and legal for riding in Europe, it will be fine here in the U.S., and I doubt it would ever be questioned.
I pulled the trigger and bought one, and look forward to getting it.

Anyone else bought a European version helmet that's also available in the U.S.? If all is good, I'll probably buy another one from them. They have some other models that I'm familiar with at great prices.
 
Thread starter
Hoping that I can thread a helmet lock extender through the ratchet mechanism to still use my helmet lock.

My most comfortable helmet is my Exo T510. I regret not buying another when I could have, as it’s long discontinued. It appears to have continued in Europe as the Exo 491, which Chromeburner is now discounting in white with black pinstripes. Again at a great price, even with shipping to the U.S.
 
ECE ratings are respectable, and some of mine have that designation.

We have a Scorpion helmet here and there has been no complaints in regards to comfort.
 
m in sc_imp said:
id be way more inclined to accept an EU safety cert than the DOT one as being safer.
Exactly. Our DOT ratings are so far behind the curve it's silly. Fort Nine did a nice video on this specific subject a few years ago.


*Edit*
Oops, didn't notice that PowerDubs posted the same Fort Nine video. Can't delete my post.
 
Thread starter
I have never been stopped and asked to show any LEO my helmet, but why do I have an image of a helmet sitting on a table in a coffee shop, and having someone glance at it. I tend to frequent the same coffee shops as the local constabulary. For a few bucks, I ordered a few "DOT" stickers, and will put them on my new Dutch Scorpions. Does that make me a bad person?

Also, researching helmet ratings, I stumbled on the California state webpage that gives the state helmet laws. Turns out that I've already been illegal. There's a law that says that anything that protrudes 5mm from the helmet surface is illegal. Must not be enforced much, as I've gotten a few LEOs commenting on how smart my BrakeFree LED helmet brake light is.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
I have never been stopped and asked to show any LEO my helmet, but why do I have an image of a helmet sitting on a table in a coffee shop, and having someone glance at it. I tend to frequent the same coffee shops as the local constabulary. For a few bucks, I ordered a few "DOT" stickers, and will put them on my new Dutch Scorpions. Does that make me a bad person?

Also, researching helmet ratings, I stumbled on the California state webpage that gives the state helmet laws. Turns out that I've already been illegal. There's a law that says that anything that protrudes 5mm from the helmet surface is illegal. Must not be enforced much, as I've gotten a few LEOs commenting on how smart my BrakeFree LED helmet brake light is.
I also have one that can be moved between two of my helmets.
Excellent safety product!
 
Thread starter
Got the first helmet ordered from Chromeburner last night. Wow! Ordered on Saturday, shipped from the Netherlands and arrived in CA on Wednesday. That's as quick as it would have come from a U.S. supplier. Impressive!

We got a little overnight rain, and I don't like riding in the wet, so I haven't tried it yet, and any pictures I take wouldn't be as good as Scorpion's own promo photos.

The HX1 looks very Darth Vaderish and has a "bad boy" look, which might be why it's only offered in black and dark grey here in the U.S. I stumbled on the Euro "Nostalgia" version on the web, and I dug the white with red and black stripe look. I like nostalgic racing liveries, and have one helmet stickered-up with Gulf logos, and another with Martini Racing logos. This helmet reminded me of the old Marlboro livery, and the stripe is more flourescent red than would appear in a picture, which is a great match for the Marlboro livery. I might throw a Marlboro sticker on the sides.

I'm fascinated that Scorpion makes two distinctly different versions of the helmet for the U.S. and European markets.

Rating: The helmet is ECE rated, but obviously not DOT. But, there is no rating printed on the back of the helmet. In the U.S., both the DOT and ECE ratings would be listed. This lid has a decal with the helmet's weight listed, is that a European requirement I wonder?

Shield: The U.S. models have Scorpion's anti-fog coating on the inside. This lid does not, but it came with a Pinlock insert. I've never tried one, so I'm excited to use it. Also, the face shield doesn't have several detents. The U.S. model has a weak stop point at slightly above closed to crack it open to allow a little air in, but reviewers complain that it just blows completely open from that point. This one has a very firm stop point at the "cracked open" point.

It also has a drop-down sun shade, which the U.S. model does not.

Otherwise, it fits the same as the black U.S. model that I tried on in a store.

Update: Dang! I ordered a second helmet from Chromeburner on Monday, and it's already showing out for delivery today. That's quick!
 
Thread starter
So, apparently I'm not the only one who thinks that this helmet should have been offered in colors other than black and "cement" here in the U.S.

Friday after work, I headed over to the local Harley dealership with the gift card that Mom gave me for my birthday. I though surely there would be something I could use.

Pulling into the parking lot on my non-Harley, I parked a respectable distance from the entrance and locked my helmet to my bar-end lock. I spent quite a while in their apparel department, eventually finding a rack of very nice non-HD branded flannel shirts. I found a good one and took it to the register. This was funny... Handing the gift card to the girl behind the counter, she asked if I bought one of the new Livewire electric bikes. I said no, and asked why she thought I might have.

She said that she noticed that I had spent a long time shopping, and that I was avoiding the HD-branded clothing and looked like I was struggling a bit. She said that the guys buying Livewires are tending to avoid branded gear, as they are afraid of being picked on by the traditional Harley crowd. Interesting.

Anyway, I went out to my bike, and found a few guys standing around it. I thought "Oh great, let's pick on the leper who brought an inferior bike to their hallowed ground."

Instead, I was greeted with "Hey man, where did you get this helmet? We would buy one of these but it only comes in black!"

I guess I might become quite the advocate for Chromeburner in the Netherlands.
 
Thread starter
Funny thing (or not funny, depending on how you look at it), the Livewire Del Mar is the lowest priced "Harley", according to all of the price tags I checked out while I was at the dealership, at least tied for the cheapest Nightster model.

The Pan Americans on the floor were being discounted to the low $20k range. I wonder how their sales are overall. Coincidentally, as I was pulling into the dealer parking lot, a guy was pulling out on a new Pan American. I waved but didn't get a wave back. Looking in my mirror, he was wearing a Mongols jacket. Surprised to see a Mongol on an adventure bike...
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Funny thing (or not funny, depending on how you look at it), the Livewire Del Mar is the lowest priced "Harley", according to all of the price tags I checked out while I was at the dealership, at least tied for the cheapest Nightster model.

The Pan Americans on the floor were being discounted to the low $20k range. I wonder how their sales are overall. Coincidentally, as I was pulling into the dealer parking lot, a guy was pulling out on a new Pan American. I waved but didn't get a wave back. Looking in my mirror, he was wearing a Mongols jacket. Surprised to see a Mongol on an adventure bike...
b0b9de07fe7712301ce06328c5dcc3f1.gif
 
Thread starter
Yeah... and I kept looking back. I know there's proper etiquette involved when you encounter a Mongol. I wasn't sure if by waving at him, he was going to come back and injure me as a matter of principle.
 
Back
Top