Two-up on the CB

Charlie Bravo_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Some years ago, I acquired what I hoped would be the bike my wife could/would ride with me, a Kawi Nomad 1500, Kawi's version of a Road King. I lavished time and money on it and I was looking forward to us getting some two-wheel time. Then she dropped the bomb; "Oh, no, I can't ride a motorcycle with you while my mother is still alive, it would kill her with worry." Well, I wondered, how long is it going to take for dear old mom to slip from this mortal coil? I waited a few years, but, finally decided it wasn't going to happen, so sold the Kawi, went thru a couple of other bikes, then got the CB about 4 years ago. Then, just the other day, the Mrs. says she'd like to finally do some riding with me. "What about your Mom?" "Oh, I just won't tell her." So the gist of it is, I am looking for a two-up machine. I like the CB and all, but it is not a two-up bike. She needs a Barcalounger back there, a big, wide seat, big pegs and a comfy backrest. In other words, a Road King. Harley's are pretty up there in price, even used, so I'm thinking of a Japanese two-up machine. I like the Yamaha V-Star 1100 and the Honda Shadow VT 1100 or a Gold Wing, tho they are pricey, too. I'm going to take her to some dealers so she can sit on the seat and make up her mind.
 
I have been looking for something along those lines on the Phoenix Craigslist and found some excellent deals on bikes like the Victory and the larger Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha cruisers for really low prices. Maybe you might want to look at some of the Harley alternatives while you are at it. Harley will have the best re-sale value though. Of course, the Goldwing is probably the best choice, but they are expensive and used ones will have high mileage. BMWs are expensive and needy, in my experience. Here are some samples from Phoenix Craigslist:
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/mcy/d/phoenix-victory-v92/7627985418.html
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcy/d/mesa-honda-vtx-1800/7627483634.html
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcy/d/mesa-2004-honda-vtx-1300/7618707046.html
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcy/d/boulder-city-2012-yamaha-star-1300/7628867868.html
 
I've heard a lot of good things about the Honda VTX 1300 and 1800's.
 
Got a top box on the CB1100, Charlie Bravo? Take her out for a ride first and see whether she likes it before blowing your pension on a cruiser. Although, come to think of it, maybe you're looking for an excuse. :D
 
Thread starter
NachoD - Thanks for posting those. I'm a Honda fan and really like the VTX.

Ferret- You got that right!

Cormanus - You are very perceptive! Keep that under your helmet! I do have a top box, but I want her first impression to be on a larger, more comfortable machine. Part of it is for my own butt, too.
The CB is a great local runner, but not my idea of a two-up touring machine.

Thanks, guys, I really appreciate the effort!
I'm looking for a VTX locally.
 
Mum’s the word.
 
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
NEWSFLASH! I'm interested in a very low mile, recently serviced Suzuki Boulevard C90 1500 not too far from me.
Keep us posted. That could be a winner.
:biker:
 
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
Some years ago, I acquired what I hoped would be the bike my wife could/would ride with me, a Kawi Nomad 1500, Kawi's version of a Road King. I lavished time and money on it and I was looking forward to us getting some two-wheel time. Then she dropped the bomb; "Oh, no, I can't ride a motorcycle with you while my mother is still alive, it would kill her with worry." Well, I wondered, how long is it going to take for dear old mom to slip from this mortal coil? I waited a few years, but, finally decided it wasn't going to happen, so sold the Kawi, went thru a couple of other bikes, then got the CB about 4 years ago. Then, just the other day, the Mrs. says she'd like to finally do some riding with me. "What about your Mom?" "Oh, I just won't tell her." So the gist of it is, I am looking for a two-up machine. I like the CB and all, but it is not a two-up bike. She needs a Barcalounger back there, a big, wide seat, big pegs and a comfy backrest. In other words, a Road King. Harley's are pretty up there in price, even used, so I'm thinking of a Japanese two-up machine. I like the Yamaha V-Star 1100 and the Honda Shadow VT 1100 or a Gold Wing, tho they are pricey, too. I'm going to take her to some dealers so she can sit on the seat and make up her mind.
Mister CB, this is one of the funniest posts I have ever read (all to well realizing that it may not have been that funny for you at times). Mothers and daughters... the ever gracious, conflicting, omnipotent and omnipresent relationship which causes all, transcendents all life, and (I hate to admit it) ruins all fun and many family ties.
I bear with you, and I am sure many of “us” m/c lovers do.
 
Thread starter
The Gecko_imp said:
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
Some years ago, I acquired what I hoped would be the bike my wife could/would ride with me, a Kawi Nomad 1500, Kawi's version of a Road King. I lavished time and money on it and I was looking forward to us getting some two-wheel time. Then she dropped the bomb; "Oh, no, I can't ride a motorcycle with you while my mother is still alive, it would kill her with worry." Well, I wondered, how long is it going to take for dear old mom to slip from this mortal coil? I waited a few years, but, finally decided it wasn't going to happen, so sold the Kawi, went thru a couple of other bikes, then got the CB about 4 years ago. Then, just the other day, the Mrs. says she'd like to finally do some riding with me. "What about your Mom?" "Oh, I just won't tell her." So the gist of it is, I am looking for a two-up machine. I like the CB and all, but it is not a two-up bike. She needs a Barcalounger back there, a big, wide seat, big pegs and a comfy backrest. In other words, a Road King. Harley's are pretty up there in price, even used, so I'm thinking of a Japanese two-up machine. I like the Yamaha V-Star 1100 and the Honda Shadow VT 1100 or a Gold Wing, tho they are pricey, too. I'm going to take her to some dealers so she can sit on the seat and make up her mind.
Mister CB, this is one of the funniest posts I have ever read (all to well realizing that it may not have been that funny for you at times). Mothers and daughters... the ever gracious, conflicting, omnipotent and omnipresent relationship which causes all, transcendents all life, and (I hate to admit it) ruins all fun and many family ties.
I bear with you, and I am sure many of “us” m/c lovers do.
Mister CB, this is one of the funniest posts I have ever read (all to well realizing that it may not have been that funny for you at times). Mothers and daughters... the ever gracious, conflicting, omnipotent and omnipresent relationship which causes all, transcendents all life, and (I hate to admit it) ruins all fun and many family ties.


Truly glad you're enjoying! Good to have a girls insight on things.
I bear with you, and I am sure many of “us” m/c lovers do.
 
Only realize now that my words could’ve been misunderstood. I did not mean to be sarcastic at all. Mothers n daughters do all too often act as if any other fam members and their needs are 2nd to them. It is sad to see, hurts husbands and companions, ruins relationships... in short, I am all on your side.
But follow good advice above, and rent before you buy.
 
Thread starter
I talked it over with the owner of a local bike repair shop and he said that among the Japanese Big 4, Suzuki is number four on the list. Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki is the pecking order. The top two have better engineering, better manufacturing, more high quality components. I decided to look for a Honda or a Yami.
 
Back
Top